Sign in to follow this  
brookemarc

Not for the faint at heart: sale barn rescue? A note from Brooke PAGE 16

He could have sores and ulcers inside his mouth that makes chewing hay difficult and painful. Put a flake of hay in a hay net and submerge it in a garbage can of water for atleast 30 mins.

If he has the strength to get up and down, provide him with a pile of bedding to protect those bones from the cold hard ground.

One sleepless night down.

He could have sores and ulcers inside his mouth that makes chewing hay difficult and painful. Put a flake of hay in a hay net and submerge it in a garbage can of water for atleast 30 mins.

If he has the strength to get up and down, provide him with a pile of bedding to protect those bones from the cold hard ground.

One sleepless night down.

If you need some hay, let me know. I live about 5 minutes from the OK border on 271. The hay I have is not fertilized or anything, just regular grass. Our horses love the stuff and can down a bale fast.

If you need some hay, let me know. I live about 5 minutes from the OK border on 271. The hay I have is not fertilized or anything, just regular grass. Our horses love the stuff and can down a bale fast.

I wouldn't be so fast as to dismiss the lump on the left hipbone. That bothers me a great deal. Did he break his pelvis? Was this the reason he's in such poor shape? Is he drugged so that he can get around? How DOES he get around? Really....his confo is pretty correct save for the lump. ????

I WOULD NOT feed grain at this point. Good grass hay - a flake every couple of hours would be perfect. After a week or two of him handling this well, I'd begin adding alfalfa. I would not start with grain until his stools look good and he's eating well.

[ 11-07-2005, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Grippen&Rippen ]

I wouldn't be so fast as to dismiss the lump on the left hipbone. That bothers me a great deal. Did he break his pelvis? Was this the reason he's in such poor shape? Is he drugged so that he can get around? How DOES he get around? Really....his confo is pretty correct save for the lump. ????

I WOULD NOT feed grain at this point. Good grass hay - a flake every couple of hours would be perfect. After a week or two of him handling this well, I'd begin adding alfalfa. I would not start with grain until his stools look good and he's eating well.

[ 11-07-2005, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Grippen&Rippen ]

quote:

Originally posted by Grippen&Rippen:

I was wondering the same thing. There is an obvious problem there.

quote:

Originally posted by Grippen&Rippen:

I was wondering the same thing. There is an obvious problem there.

Wow, looking at that poor guy brought tears to my eyes instantly. I am so grateful that he has ended up in your home and care. Looks like he has a very long road of recovery ahead of him, and even if he does not make a full recovery, at least he knows he was with someone who cared. Thank you for taking on such a huge responsibility to provide for him.

city-gal

Wow, looking at that poor guy brought tears to my eyes instantly. I am so grateful that he has ended up in your home and care. Looks like he has a very long road of recovery ahead of him, and even if he does not make a full recovery, at least he knows he was with someone who cared. Thank you for taking on such a huge responsibility to provide for him.

city-gal

Good For you....I give you lots of credit for saving this poor thing. I've seen just as bad on Animal Planet's rescue programs. How any living human being can do that to an animal is beyond my comprehension. If possible, I'd have a vet go over him for anything that you may have missed. Also, I agree about the be careful how much he eats daily. You need to start with many small meals and build up from there. Lots of good luck and I hope things turn out great!! [Mad] (Anger for the idiots that did this)

Good For you....I give you lots of credit for saving this poor thing. I've seen just as bad on Animal Planet's rescue programs. How any living human being can do that to an animal is beyond my comprehension. If possible, I'd have a vet go over him for anything that you may have missed. Also, I agree about the be careful how much he eats daily. You need to start with many small meals and build up from there. Lots of good luck and I hope things turn out great!! [Mad] (Anger for the idiots that did this)

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde&Me:

Clyde, You're my hero! [Not Worthy][Not Worthy][Huggy]

More prayers for the poor little guy and his new mommy! [Angel][Angel]

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde&Me:

Clyde, You're my hero! [Not Worthy][Not Worthy][Huggy]

More prayers for the poor little guy and his new mommy! [Angel][Angel]

Thank you for saving this horse. It's a shame to see such a beautiful creature being treated this way. I have not read every post but has the humane society been called on these people? God Bless you for doing what you have done. Also which I know you already know this please have a vet look at him. Hopefully it's not too late. I would have done the same thing!!!!! You are an ANGEL [Angel]

Thank you for saving this horse. It's a shame to see such a beautiful creature being treated this way. I have not read every post but has the humane society been called on these people? God Bless you for doing what you have done. Also which I know you already know this please have a vet look at him. Hopefully it's not too late. I would have done the same thing!!!!! You are an ANGEL [Angel]

i woudl get a vet invovled, just to help you work with him/ have the vet come over for check ups and give advice [big Grin] the pros know what they are doing! also, try feeding him more often..

as you slowly increase the fee, try ot feed him, at least 3-4 times a day, in equal amounts..

i woudl get a vet invovled, just to help you work with him/ have the vet come over for check ups and give advice [big Grin] the pros know what they are doing! also, try feeding him more often..

as you slowly increase the fee, try ot feed him, at least 3-4 times a day, in equal amounts..

I got one gelding just like him about 5 months ago.He graded out at a 1 per the Vet.It has taken me to now,5 months to get him back to a good weight.

Take it very,very slow.I was lucky in that I had a good pasture available and he was out on that 24/7.I guess free choice GRASS hay would be the same. Do not give him alfalfa hay.I followed my vets instructions exactly and only had 1 time where he got slight colic which we treated with Pepto Bismol.He colicked slightly the day after we started giving him meds for ulcers.Do not worm him for at least a month.I gave my guy 1/2 lb Senior Feed 2 times a day with 1 cup of corn oil over it in the AM.for the 1st 2 to 3 weeks.Then increase the senior feed very slowly,say 1 cup a week for the next month etc.Then the next month increase a tiny bit more. The max we got up to after 3 mos was only about 3lbs 2 times a day and free choice pasture.. Don't be tempted to feed him more then just a little. The most important thing is the free choice hay.Add a mineral block and a salt block and get him to the vet for evaluation and shots etc. Turned out my gelding had gastric ulcers which we treated him for. It took a month of meds to clear up the ulcers. They were diagnosed by a blood test.It will probably be about 1 month before he is strong enough to worm. Then use Zimectrin.

Don't even think about riding him for at least 4 to 5 months.All his muscles are wasted away.

Good luck to you. Please bear in mind that he might not make it.

Oh,by the way,My TWH horse is absolutely beautiful now. He is a sight to see running and playing in the pasture. I rode him for a little bit last week,just at a walk and he has a lot of energy.I guess I can't keep calling him his nickname of "Bones".

I got one gelding just like him about 5 months ago.He graded out at a 1 per the Vet.It has taken me to now,5 months to get him back to a good weight.

Take it very,very slow.I was lucky in that I had a good pasture available and he was out on that 24/7.I guess free choice GRASS hay would be the same. Do not give him alfalfa hay.I followed my vets instructions exactly and only had 1 time where he got slight colic which we treated with Pepto Bismol.He colicked slightly the day after we started giving him meds for ulcers.Do not worm him for at least a month.I gave my guy 1/2 lb Senior Feed 2 times a day with 1 cup of corn oil over it in the AM.for the 1st 2 to 3 weeks.Then increase the senior feed very slowly,say 1 cup a week for the next month etc.Then the next month increase a tiny bit more. The max we got up to after 3 mos was only about 3lbs 2 times a day and free choice pasture.. Don't be tempted to feed him more then just a little. The most important thing is the free choice hay.Add a mineral block and a salt block and get him to the vet for evaluation and shots etc. Turned out my gelding had gastric ulcers which we treated him for. It took a month of meds to clear up the ulcers. They were diagnosed by a blood test.It will probably be about 1 month before he is strong enough to worm. Then use Zimectrin.

Don't even think about riding him for at least 4 to 5 months.All his muscles are wasted away.

Good luck to you. Please bear in mind that he might not make it.

Oh,by the way,My TWH horse is absolutely beautiful now. He is a sight to see running and playing in the pasture. I rode him for a little bit last week,just at a walk and he has a lot of energy.I guess I can't keep calling him his nickname of "Bones".

quote:

Am I totally stupid for doing this?

Absolutely not! You're his angel. When the first pic pulled up, my first thought honestly was that it was a malnourished greyhound??? I couldn't see a horse at first.

Your diet to me sounds fine but in my experience free choice hay or grass is what puts the weight on a horse. I'm just saying that because I would be tempted to throw too much grain at him too quickly. Has he had a recent coggins? Any possible way he could transmit anything to your healthy herd? Do you have him isolated? Just a thought. I've taken in many stray dogs & cats that looked like that and always kept them completely separate from my healthy ones until all test results were back and negative.

Good luck with him and God bless! [Huggy]

quote:

Am I totally stupid for doing this?

Absolutely not! You're his angel. When the first pic pulled up, my first thought honestly was that it was a malnourished greyhound??? I couldn't see a horse at first.

Your diet to me sounds fine but in my experience free choice hay or grass is what puts the weight on a horse. I'm just saying that because I would be tempted to throw too much grain at him too quickly. Has he had a recent coggins? Any possible way he could transmit anything to your healthy herd? Do you have him isolated? Just a thought. I've taken in many stray dogs & cats that looked like that and always kept them completely separate from my healthy ones until all test results were back and negative.

Good luck with him and God bless! [Huggy]

The bump on the hip bone i think is the angle of the shot. I went out to him today, picked up his feet, brushed him. I checked him out and really it is all bone. He was eating the grain and he would stop while I brushed. When I stopped brushing him, he would go back to eating! He liked it, I think. The only thing that is really making me nervous is he doesn't eat the hay. He might nibble, but grain is what he wants. My truck is in the shop right now, so I don't have a way to haul him to the vet, but I have called and told them to expect me! [Wink] Someone asked how he gets around... he does slowly. but he is getting excited to see me when I come around. My father in law said that if he lives, he will be one loyal horse. "He's seen his ghost coming." I will keep at it and keep ya'll posted.

Brooke

The bump on the hip bone i think is the angle of the shot. I went out to him today, picked up his feet, brushed him. I checked him out and really it is all bone. He was eating the grain and he would stop while I brushed. When I stopped brushing him, he would go back to eating! He liked it, I think. The only thing that is really making me nervous is he doesn't eat the hay. He might nibble, but grain is what he wants. My truck is in the shop right now, so I don't have a way to haul him to the vet, but I have called and told them to expect me! [Wink] Someone asked how he gets around... he does slowly. but he is getting excited to see me when I come around. My father in law said that if he lives, he will be one loyal horse. "He's seen his ghost coming." I will keep at it and keep ya'll posted.

Brooke

Not too long ago I called animal control to investigate a horse that looked just like Proana. To date, he is doing very well after being seized and awarded to a member of our local mounted sherriff's posse.

I cannot send any advise on caring for him, but I can send prayers your way. You will receive your just reward in heaven for becoming his guardian angel. [Angel][Angel]

Not too long ago I called animal control to investigate a horse that looked just like Proana. To date, he is doing very well after being seized and awarded to a member of our local mounted sherriff's posse.

I cannot send any advise on caring for him, but I can send prayers your way. You will receive your just reward in heaven for becoming his guardian angel. [Angel][Angel]

omg those pics were horrible. we saw a mare at an auction n no one would even bid 10.00 on her. we would have bought her but she had a swollen knee and we wouldnt have had the money for vet care. if he isnt gaining much weight yet try Roasted Soy Bean only 1Lb a day and it will help him gain weight and make his coat look great to. no one has heard of it but my family has and it helps our horses greatly. especially my moms horse since he cribs alot even with the miracle collar on him. good luck with your horse. maybe he is used to turn out all the time our horses have turn out all day and a place to stay dry so they do great. our oldest pony which we've had for 13yrs hates being locked up in a stall and he loves kids he doesnt ever want to retire from kids he loves it to much and if none of the kids ride him in months except during winter he looks sad because he is left out of the trail rides. well good luck with your horse.

omg those pics were horrible. we saw a mare at an auction n no one would even bid 10.00 on her. we would have bought her but she had a swollen knee and we wouldnt have had the money for vet care. if he isnt gaining much weight yet try Roasted Soy Bean only 1Lb a day and it will help him gain weight and make his coat look great to. no one has heard of it but my family has and it helps our horses greatly. especially my moms horse since he cribs alot even with the miracle collar on him. good luck with your horse. maybe he is used to turn out all the time our horses have turn out all day and a place to stay dry so they do great. our oldest pony which we've had for 13yrs hates being locked up in a stall and he loves kids he doesnt ever want to retire from kids he loves it to much and if none of the kids ride him in months except during winter he looks sad because he is left out of the trail rides. well good luck with your horse.