Sign in to follow this  
brookemarc

Not for the faint at heart: sale barn rescue? A note from Brooke PAGE 16

I bought a weanling filly three weeks ago that is thin(backbone and ribs)BUT she can not compare to this poor guy. PokyDots is doing much better EXCEPT for a really bad case of Rainrot. I have decided to take pics every Sunday, to have a diary of sorts on how she has come along. Her back bone is now covered and she has cover over all ribs, but this rain rot stinks. Tried a bot knife and it seems to help.

Thought you might consider pics too.

I bought a weanling filly three weeks ago that is thin(backbone and ribs)BUT she can not compare to this poor guy. PokyDots is doing much better EXCEPT for a really bad case of Rainrot. I have decided to take pics every Sunday, to have a diary of sorts on how she has come along. Her back bone is now covered and she has cover over all ribs, but this rain rot stinks. Tried a bot knife and it seems to help.

Thought you might consider pics too.

BrookeMarc,

First of all let me send out my thanks for the guy you saved! I'm sure he appreciates it now & even more later. You said you think he's about 10 yr old or older...? If so I'd start him on Purina Equine Senior right-a-way! It put weight on my aged QH mare fast! She is at least 22-25 yrs old if not older. In the *Before picture* she was on regular sweet feed mixed with 2% rolled oats & corn once a day with all day pasture turn out... One day it hit me to check her teeth, & to my ultimate stupidity for not checking sooner she had hardly any! I felt so bad for not realizing this at first. I had tried everything from worming to a cheap weight builder. I'm convinced that only the best will do for my girl. Now she has her tone back & goes on regular trail rides with the energy of a 2 yr old filly! She nickers constantly, pacing in & out of her stall in our 3 sided shed impatiently waiting for me as I'm fill the feed bucket for her & Gunner. Look at the difference for yourself! I think a few extra dollars a month will bring your boy back to glory as well. Here in Missouri its about $11.50 per 50lb bag after tax is added in. It will kill me when she actually does pass on... she is my pal now & forever!

-

^Before

-

^After Purina Equine Senior once a day for 2 months.... W.O.W.!

[ 11-14-2005, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: Chasin'3Cans ]

BrookeMarc,

First of all let me send out my thanks for the guy you saved! I'm sure he appreciates it now & even more later. You said you think he's about 10 yr old or older...? If so I'd start him on Purina Equine Senior right-a-way! It put weight on my aged QH mare fast! She is at least 22-25 yrs old if not older. In the *Before picture* she was on regular sweet feed mixed with 2% rolled oats & corn once a day with all day pasture turn out... One day it hit me to check her teeth, & to my ultimate stupidity for not checking sooner she had hardly any! I felt so bad for not realizing this at first. I had tried everything from worming to a cheap weight builder. I'm convinced that only the best will do for my girl. Now she has her tone back & goes on regular trail rides with the energy of a 2 yr old filly! She nickers constantly, pacing in & out of her stall in our 3 sided shed impatiently waiting for me as I'm fill the feed bucket for her & Gunner. Look at the difference for yourself! I think a few extra dollars a month will bring your boy back to glory as well. Here in Missouri its about $11.50 per 50lb bag after tax is added in. It will kill me when she actually does pass on... she is my pal now & forever!

-

^Before

-

^After Purina Equine Senior once a day for 2 months.... W.O.W.!

[ 11-14-2005, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: Chasin'3Cans ]

I'll try and take an updated pic tonight. He seems to be doing okay. He coughed once or twice yesterday, but not excessively. I'm thinking he had a tickle. He is eating the grain completely and the alfalfa hay for the most part. I expect that box from Total Health Enhancement today. I am hoping he will make a complete turn around. [smile]

Brooke

I'll try and take an updated pic tonight. He seems to be doing okay. He coughed once or twice yesterday, but not excessively. I'm thinking he had a tickle. He is eating the grain completely and the alfalfa hay for the most part. I expect that box from Total Health Enhancement today. I am hoping he will make a complete turn around. [smile]

Brooke

That's great. Did you get to the vet this weekend? (did I miss that?).

As for the generous offer by Total Health - i will definately stop by there site if I ever need any of the type of products that they sell. [Not Worthy]

That's great. Did you get to the vet this weekend? (did I miss that?).

As for the generous offer by Total Health - i will definately stop by there site if I ever need any of the type of products that they sell. [Not Worthy]

Darn, I just tried to place an order with Total Health Enhancement, and it seems they don't ship to Canada. Rats.

Darn, I just tried to place an order with Total Health Enhancement, and it seems they don't ship to Canada. Rats.

quote:

Originally posted by DraftHorse:

Drafthorse, we do ship to Canada. If you tried to order on line that may explain it. Call the office to order and we will process it. Plus for anyone wanting to order any of our products if you mention Horse City, you will recieve a good discount but you must call your order in, not place it through the web site. 1-888-422-8398 Thankyou all so much for your interest.

[ 11-14-2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: ThreeCorners ]

quote:

Originally posted by DraftHorse:

Drafthorse, we do ship to Canada. If you tried to order on line that may explain it. Call the office to order and we will process it. Plus for anyone wanting to order any of our products if you mention Horse City, you will recieve a good discount but you must call your order in, not place it through the web site. 1-888-422-8398 Thankyou all so much for your interest.

[ 11-14-2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: ThreeCorners ]

You know, here in Texas we have a saying for people who abuse/neglect animals....it's "grab a rope"! I'd tar and feather and drag someone who let an animal get in that shape...that's beyond horrible and cruel.... [Mad]

Now, the good news is that he has a chance and I say that you will be rewarded ten times over for the kindess you have expressed by taking this horse and to the others that have donated for his wellbeing and health... [Angel]

It hurts all over to see those pics....I want to see some updates when you can!

Ginger

You know, here in Texas we have a saying for people who abuse/neglect animals....it's "grab a rope"! I'd tar and feather and drag someone who let an animal get in that shape...that's beyond horrible and cruel.... [Mad]

Now, the good news is that he has a chance and I say that you will be rewarded ten times over for the kindess you have expressed by taking this horse and to the others that have donated for his wellbeing and health... [Angel]

It hurts all over to see those pics....I want to see some updates when you can!

Ginger

I think this whole thread is inspiring! All the horses I have bought in the last 5 years have all been from Horse rescues. Someone at my boarding place actually asked me why I would buy a horse I can't ride.

What Three Corners is doing is awesome! I think every horse business should donate something at least once a month. I intend to do just that.

Keep up the good work everyone

I think this whole thread is inspiring! All the horses I have bought in the last 5 years have all been from Horse rescues. Someone at my boarding place actually asked me why I would buy a horse I can't ride.

What Three Corners is doing is awesome! I think every horse business should donate something at least once a month. I intend to do just that.

Keep up the good work everyone

Oh my goodness, that is absolutely breath taking!! You got him for $10.00???? Poor thing! I bet he's a happy camper now that he knows someone good in this world cares for him now and knows hes protected has saved him and is willing to feed him lots and lots and lots. That is just so sad, but I love the fact that you got ahold of the horse before someone like a meat buyer got to him. But I doubt there would be anything left! Its just so sad to see a horse like this, and unfortuneility there are thousands of horses out there just like that, we need more people out there like YOU! you have definitely done your good deed!!! Hope he's doing better, give 'em a carrot for me! Keep us updated please, [Eek!][Frown][Mad][Me Cry][bang Head][Angel]

Oh my goodness, that is absolutely breath taking!! You got him for $10.00???? Poor thing! I bet he's a happy camper now that he knows someone good in this world cares for him now and knows hes protected has saved him and is willing to feed him lots and lots and lots. That is just so sad, but I love the fact that you got ahold of the horse before someone like a meat buyer got to him. But I doubt there would be anything left! Its just so sad to see a horse like this, and unfortuneility there are thousands of horses out there just like that, we need more people out there like YOU! you have definitely done your good deed!!! Hope he's doing better, give 'em a carrot for me! Keep us updated please, [Eek!][Frown][Mad][Me Cry][bang Head][Angel]

quote:

Originally posted by brookemarc:

So if you have read the earlier post from ThreeCorners, you would have seen the generous offer of what the company she works for Total Health Enhancement. This is a pharmaceutical company that has donated more than $500 worth of ulcer, total health management and electrolyte products to this wonderful little horse. Please give your thanks to ThreeCorners for her generocity. I know I do!
[Not Worthy][Not Worthy][Not Worthy]

Brooke

that is just stinkin awsome! What a great thing for a company to do--and kudos to threeCorners for alerting her company!

quote:

Originally posted by brookemarc:

So if you have read the earlier post from ThreeCorners, you would have seen the generous offer of what the company she works for Total Health Enhancement. This is a pharmaceutical company that has donated more than $500 worth of ulcer, total health management and electrolyte products to this wonderful little horse. Please give your thanks to ThreeCorners for her generocity. I know I do!
[Not Worthy][Not Worthy][Not Worthy]

Brooke

that is just stinkin awsome! What a great thing for a company to do--and kudos to threeCorners for alerting her company!

OMG! [Me Cry] The first thing that came to my mind was holy s*** when I saw those pics. Your an angel for saving the poor thing [Angel] .

Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

and also, What is that lump on his left side?

[Not Worthy]

The total lack of morals in some people really surprise me sometimes. I'm glad you're helping this poor guy out. [Angel] I'd get blood work done also,A.S.A.P. then you'll know the full extent of his illness plus cover you're self incase someone not knowing you,sees the horse and turns you in, at least you have a Vet already on the job. Plus, a Vet will be able to tell you more of exactlly want he needs now to help him. Keep up the good work. If everyone had a heart of gold like yours there would be no animal in need of rescuing. [Not Worthy]

OMG! [Me Cry] The first thing that came to my mind was holy s*** when I saw those pics. Your an angel for saving the poor thing [Angel] .

Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

and also, What is that lump on his left side?

[Not Worthy]

The total lack of morals in some people really surprise me sometimes. I'm glad you're helping this poor guy out. [Angel] I'd get blood work done also,A.S.A.P. then you'll know the full extent of his illness plus cover you're self incase someone not knowing you,sees the horse and turns you in, at least you have a Vet already on the job. Plus, a Vet will be able to tell you more of exactlly want he needs now to help him. Keep up the good work. If everyone had a heart of gold like yours there would be no animal in need of rescuing. [Not Worthy]

I too do rescues. Feed small amount 3 times a day, with rice bran and wheat germ oil mixed in feed. Free choice hay, but not too stemmy all the time. Try putting a little molasses in his water bucket as well.

I too do rescues. Feed small amount 3 times a day, with rice bran and wheat germ oil mixed in feed. Free choice hay, but not too stemmy all the time. Try putting a little molasses in his water bucket as well.