Sign in to follow this  
LROLIRAD

Does this sound right??? Wonder Dust users?!?!?

I have been using Wonder Dust on my geldings laceration for 4 days. While it does seem to be looking much better, there is a nasty black scab forming over the cut. His wound is round and about 4 inches in diameter. I wash it for about 15 minutes every evening with water and the scab comes off with the water. I then reapply the WOnder Dust. The injury occurred on 11-6-05, was stitched by the vet, but the stitches busted on 11-10-05, and it has been open since. Should it be scabbed over by now? Should I stop washing it and removing the scab? Why is the scab so black looking? I do not have any experience treating an open wound of this size and would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance!!

I have been using Wonder Dust on my geldings laceration for 4 days. While it does seem to be looking much better, there is a nasty black scab forming over the cut. His wound is round and about 4 inches in diameter. I wash it for about 15 minutes every evening with water and the scab comes off with the water. I then reapply the WOnder Dust. The injury occurred on 11-6-05, was stitched by the vet, but the stitches busted on 11-10-05, and it has been open since. Should it be scabbed over by now? Should I stop washing it and removing the scab? Why is the scab so black looking? I do not have any experience treating an open wound of this size and would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks in advance!!

I would never use Wonder Dust on anything but proud flesh. It will often keep a wound raw and weeping FAR past the time it should have dried up and started healing.

I would never use Wonder Dust on anything but proud flesh. It will often keep a wound raw and weeping FAR past the time it should have dried up and started healing.

Palogirl,

Call your Vet and explain the situation. Tell him that you have been using WonderDust and washing/flushing the wound for 15 minutes. Ask him to recommend an ointment to help heal and protect the wound.

Cheri

Palogirl,

Call your Vet and explain the situation. Tell him that you have been using WonderDust and washing/flushing the wound for 15 minutes. Ask him to recommend an ointment to help heal and protect the wound.

Cheri

Ditto to OZ,

We had a knew boarder come in whose horse had a leg injury, the person she bought it from had been packing it with WonderDust to keep it from bleeding ( just wanted to make the sale)she doesn't have alot of experiance with horses.

We scrubed a few layers of the dust off to find an oozing wound.Got her cleaned up and shes doing much better.

Ditto to OZ,

We had a knew boarder come in whose horse had a leg injury, the person she bought it from had been packing it with WonderDust to keep it from bleeding ( just wanted to make the sale)she doesn't have alot of experiance with horses.

We scrubed a few layers of the dust off to find an oozing wound.Got her cleaned up and shes doing much better.

I WOULD STOP USING THE WONDER DUST. WONDER DUST IS ONLY FOR PROUD FLESH. IT WILL NOT PROMOTE HEALING AFTER A CERTAIN TIME. EVER WONDER WHY THEY USE IT ON PROUD FLESH? IT EATS AWAY THE FLESH! I WOULD USE SOMETHING LIKE ALU SHIELD AFTER YOU HAVE WASHED IT WITH SOME NOLVASSAN, OR SOMETHING COMPARABLE. THE ALU SHIELD IS LIKE A LIQUID BANDAGE. DO NOT PICK THE SCAB OFF UNTILL IT IS READY OT FALL OFF.

I WOULD STOP USING THE WONDER DUST. WONDER DUST IS ONLY FOR PROUD FLESH. IT WILL NOT PROMOTE HEALING AFTER A CERTAIN TIME. EVER WONDER WHY THEY USE IT ON PROUD FLESH? IT EATS AWAY THE FLESH! I WOULD USE SOMETHING LIKE ALU SHIELD AFTER YOU HAVE WASHED IT WITH SOME NOLVASSAN, OR SOMETHING COMPARABLE. THE ALU SHIELD IS LIKE A LIQUID BANDAGE. DO NOT PICK THE SCAB OFF UNTILL IT IS READY OT FALL OFF.

Okay, my husband talked to our vet for me. My vet said keep putting the Wonder Dust on the wound and scrub the scab off. I trust him, so will continue for a few more days and see what happens. It has been looking much better except for that black scab [Eek!] Thanks to all!

Okay, my husband talked to our vet for me. My vet said keep putting the Wonder Dust on the wound and scrub the scab off. I trust him, so will continue for a few more days and see what happens. It has been looking much better except for that black scab [Eek!] Thanks to all!

I don't care much for wonder dust. I'm sure it has it's place, but in the few instances I've tried it, I wasn't really please with it's "healing power". Might be good for proud flesh (already present) but I'm just not a fan of it...

I was turned on to Underwood Horse Medicine and I *really* like that product. I've had excellent results and extremely speedy healing by using it as indicated. I'm SOLD on that product and would HIGHLY recommend that you try it instead of the wonder dust. I'm not sure where you can find it locally in your area, but I managed to find it fairly close to me and I couldn't be happier with the results. It's available online, too, but since you're currently treating a wound, you might try to find it locally.

Underwood Horse Medicine

I would nearly guarantee that in about two days treatment, you'll see a HUGE difference in the wound. Shoot, if you buy it and don't like it (and really, I can't imagine that!) I'll buy the bottle FROM you! I'll be keeping it as a staple in my first aid kit. [big Grin]

I don't care much for wonder dust. I'm sure it has it's place, but in the few instances I've tried it, I wasn't really please with it's "healing power". Might be good for proud flesh (already present) but I'm just not a fan of it...

I was turned on to Underwood Horse Medicine and I *really* like that product. I've had excellent results and extremely speedy healing by using it as indicated. I'm SOLD on that product and would HIGHLY recommend that you try it instead of the wonder dust. I'm not sure where you can find it locally in your area, but I managed to find it fairly close to me and I couldn't be happier with the results. It's available online, too, but since you're currently treating a wound, you might try to find it locally.

Underwood Horse Medicine

I would nearly guarantee that in about two days treatment, you'll see a HUGE difference in the wound. Shoot, if you buy it and don't like it (and really, I can't imagine that!) I'll buy the bottle FROM you! I'll be keeping it as a staple in my first aid kit. [big Grin]

I always keep softening the scab , and apply the treatment back onto the wound itself . The scab isn't the wound , so anything on it alone won't do much . I've had good luck with wonder dust , on open wounds . I've doctored alot of them , but also use a few different things . Wonder dust does help with proudflesh , but that's about it . You can use a substitute for Wonder Dust , which I use mostly . Mix Betadine & sugar , until it's a thick paste . Sugar will never hurt anything , and it dissolves away . It kills infection & proudflesh , and is easy to apply . I also use Healing Tree spray , which works well (it can also be applied to a horses teeth , or gums) . Plus I use Bickmore gall salve , and rotate them on different days . Use the sugar one day , some spray the next , then the gall salve . I trust some of the others also on Wonder Dust not allowing the wound to heal , and keeping some oozing leaking from the wound . I also will spray peroxide after I clean the wound , before I apply any treatment . Good luck , and hope it comes out okay .

[ 11-18-2005, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: JG ]

I always keep softening the scab , and apply the treatment back onto the wound itself . The scab isn't the wound , so anything on it alone won't do much . I've had good luck with wonder dust , on open wounds . I've doctored alot of them , but also use a few different things . Wonder dust does help with proudflesh , but that's about it . You can use a substitute for Wonder Dust , which I use mostly . Mix Betadine & sugar , until it's a thick paste . Sugar will never hurt anything , and it dissolves away . It kills infection & proudflesh , and is easy to apply . I also use Healing Tree spray , which works well (it can also be applied to a horses teeth , or gums) . Plus I use Bickmore gall salve , and rotate them on different days . Use the sugar one day , some spray the next , then the gall salve . I trust some of the others also on Wonder Dust not allowing the wound to heal , and keeping some oozing leaking from the wound . I also will spray peroxide after I clean the wound , before I apply any treatment . Good luck , and hope it comes out okay .

[ 11-18-2005, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: JG ]

Is the wound above the knee or below the knee? They should be treated a lot differently. Underwoods works really well on flesh wounds. If you notice, all of the photos they they show are of injuries above the knee.

If it is below the knee/hock, you need to know if proud flesh is a problen. Just wash it up and put on a salve like 'Uderly Smooth Udder Cream' for one day. If there is pink quanular tissue in it, or protruding from it the next morning, you have a wound that still needs wonder dust or some other proud flesh topical. If you carefully put the salve around the edges and the powder in the center, the spot will shrink more quickly. Not using the proud flesh topical on a wound with proud flesh in it will greatly increase the final scarring.

Is the wound above the knee or below the knee? They should be treated a lot differently. Underwoods works really well on flesh wounds. If you notice, all of the photos they they show are of injuries above the knee.

If it is below the knee/hock, you need to know if proud flesh is a problen. Just wash it up and put on a salve like 'Uderly Smooth Udder Cream' for one day. If there is pink quanular tissue in it, or protruding from it the next morning, you have a wound that still needs wonder dust or some other proud flesh topical. If you carefully put the salve around the edges and the powder in the center, the spot will shrink more quickly. Not using the proud flesh topical on a wound with proud flesh in it will greatly increase the final scarring.

quote:

I treated a below the knee injury with it. Back of the pastern gash, actually. It was a severe cut, open flap of skin circling almost the entire back of the pastern. It healed wonderfully w/ Underwoods. I was treating it another way before someone recommended Underwoods. It just wasn't making very good progress at all. After the second day of Underwoods, it looked a thousand times better, and was closed and nearly 100% healed by the one week mark of starting Underwoods. No thick scaring (no scar at all to be seen at this point), and no proud flesh... the Underwoods really calmed it down, yet didn't burn any healthy flesh.

Underwoods address proud flesh, too. Luckily, I started using it before any had a real chance of developing and it just prevented it and healed the wound up quickly.

quote:

I treated a below the knee injury with it. Back of the pastern gash, actually. It was a severe cut, open flap of skin circling almost the entire back of the pastern. It healed wonderfully w/ Underwoods. I was treating it another way before someone recommended Underwoods. It just wasn't making very good progress at all. After the second day of Underwoods, it looked a thousand times better, and was closed and nearly 100% healed by the one week mark of starting Underwoods. No thick scaring (no scar at all to be seen at this point), and no proud flesh... the Underwoods really calmed it down, yet didn't burn any healthy flesh.

Underwoods address proud flesh, too. Luckily, I started using it before any had a real chance of developing and it just prevented it and healed the wound up quickly.

Wonder Dust is specifically made for gashing open wounds like the one your horse has. It DOES heal the wound. It just takes a bit longer as its also fighting the proud flesh. And also because the wound needed stitches, so it sounds deep or pretty nasty.

Palo. If I were you, I'd continue with the Wonder Dust, like the vet has said. I'd be using the powder if I were in your sitation. Can you post a pic of the injury?

Lisa

Wonder Dust is specifically made for gashing open wounds like the one your horse has. It DOES heal the wound. It just takes a bit longer as its also fighting the proud flesh. And also because the wound needed stitches, so it sounds deep or pretty nasty.

Palo. If I were you, I'd continue with the Wonder Dust, like the vet has said. I'd be using the powder if I were in your sitation. Can you post a pic of the injury?

Lisa