Sign in to follow this  
dedradd

hernia surgery

Ok I've got my yearling filly about ready to go into surgery to fix an umbilical hernia. I've had 2 different vets look at her and say the best way to go about it is to take her to the vet clinic at Kansas State and just suture the muscle together. It's a 2 finger hernia by the way. I just don't have any experience with hernia surgery and curious about it. Is it very high risk? And would it be a long recovery for her? One more question and I'll leave every one alone. But after she is healed up and better what are the chances that the hole in her muscle will reopen? Has that happened to anyone? Thanks for reading. I hope I made sense to you all.

Ok I've got my yearling filly about ready to go into surgery to fix an umbilical hernia. I've had 2 different vets look at her and say the best way to go about it is to take her to the vet clinic at Kansas State and just suture the muscle together. It's a 2 finger hernia by the way. I just don't have any experience with hernia surgery and curious about it. Is it very high risk? And would it be a long recovery for her? One more question and I'll leave every one alone. But after she is healed up and better what are the chances that the hole in her muscle will reopen? Has that happened to anyone? Thanks for reading. I hope I made sense to you all.

I have a freind in CA who breeds QHs and she had a colt that needed the hernia surgury. I'll try and catch her at home and see what she said about the colt, the procedure, recovery and his future.

I do know she sold him at least a year, possibly two years, ago at 18 months of age. He may have had the surgury at under a year old. I think it was pretty straightforward and he had no problems, either with recovery (she had to put a cream or something on him, I'm sure) or with his sale, so I expect his future was secure.

Heidi

I have a freind in CA who breeds QHs and she had a colt that needed the hernia surgury. I'll try and catch her at home and see what she said about the colt, the procedure, recovery and his future.

I do know she sold him at least a year, possibly two years, ago at 18 months of age. He may have had the surgury at under a year old. I think it was pretty straightforward and he had no problems, either with recovery (she had to put a cream or something on him, I'm sure) or with his sale, so I expect his future was secure.

Heidi

A friend of mine here at work had hernis surgery done on a 3 year old mare she bought. She had a very quick recovery and is now in heavy competition as a barrel racer. My 2 year old QH colt had colic surgery last fall (MUCH longer, larger incision and recovery time) and he is doing great this spring. I've riddenm him several times on the trail and he romps like any baby.

Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly. [Angel]

A friend of mine here at work had hernis surgery done on a 3 year old mare she bought. She had a very quick recovery and is now in heavy competition as a barrel racer. My 2 year old QH colt had colic surgery last fall (MUCH longer, larger incision and recovery time) and he is doing great this spring. I've riddenm him several times on the trail and he romps like any baby.

Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly. [Angel]

I've had 2 horses that had the umbilical hernia surgery. Both went smoothy. My filly had hers done when she was about 5-6 months old. The gelding had his done when he was between 9-12 months old. The gelding is now 3yo and is doing great. One of his stitchs didn't dissolve and it became infected, it cleared up with some antibiotics. The filly is now 9 months old and is doing great.

It isn't a long recovery time at all. They were back to their normal selves in about a week. All I had to do was spray that blue lotion stuff on her stitchs. And the stitchs desolve on their own.

I'm pretty sure its a low risk surgery.

I've had 2 horses that had the umbilical hernia surgery. Both went smoothy. My filly had hers done when she was about 5-6 months old. The gelding had his done when he was between 9-12 months old. The gelding is now 3yo and is doing great. One of his stitchs didn't dissolve and it became infected, it cleared up with some antibiotics. The filly is now 9 months old and is doing great.

It isn't a long recovery time at all. They were back to their normal selves in about a week. All I had to do was spray that blue lotion stuff on her stitchs. And the stitchs desolve on their own.

I'm pretty sure its a low risk surgery.

Well thanks for your reply's. Hopefully it should go smoothly. I just got a little nervous because I'm sopposed to take her down either Monday or Tuesday. She's a good girl and I would hate for anyhting to happen to her. But I've been told that if it's not fixed the hole could tear and get a lot bigger. And I was also told that by this age if it was going to close on it's own it would have done so by now. She is 17 months old. Thanks again.

Well thanks for your reply's. Hopefully it should go smoothly. I just got a little nervous because I'm sopposed to take her down either Monday or Tuesday. She's a good girl and I would hate for anyhting to happen to her. But I've been told that if it's not fixed the hole could tear and get a lot bigger. And I was also told that by this age if it was going to close on it's own it would have done so by now. She is 17 months old. Thanks again.

We had one 11 month old filly with a fairly large hernia that took one repair, that didn't hold and a second one with a mesh insert, that finally held.

Both times she was fine right away, didn't even know she had surgery.

She went on to run and did very well.

We also had a colt born with a scrotal hernia, that was operated at two days old and gelded then and recuperated fine and was a good ranch horse afterwards.

[ 11-20-2005, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Merry ]

We had one 11 month old filly with a fairly large hernia that took one repair, that didn't hold and a second one with a mesh insert, that finally held.

Both times she was fine right away, didn't even know she had surgery.

She went on to run and did very well.

We also had a colt born with a scrotal hernia, that was operated at two days old and gelded then and recuperated fine and was a good ranch horse afterwards.

[ 11-20-2005, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Merry ]

Cody had a hernia about the size of your filly's hernia. I had it fixed at the local equine hospital when he was 11 months old. He was in the hospital 2 nights (1 night pre-op, 1 night post-op). He was on antibiotics but still ran a fever the day after he came home. The fever was gone by the next day. He was on stall rest for 30 days post surgery and limited turn out (small pen) for 2 weeks after that. After that he was back to normal turn out.

He is 5 now and we haven't had any problems with the hernia site. He even started jumping early this summer.

Good Luck with your filly.

Cody had a hernia about the size of your filly's hernia. I had it fixed at the local equine hospital when he was 11 months old. He was in the hospital 2 nights (1 night pre-op, 1 night post-op). He was on antibiotics but still ran a fever the day after he came home. The fever was gone by the next day. He was on stall rest for 30 days post surgery and limited turn out (small pen) for 2 weeks after that. After that he was back to normal turn out.

He is 5 now and we haven't had any problems with the hernia site. He even started jumping early this summer.

Good Luck with your filly.

My mare has one and shes 9 years old. She has had one foal before i owned her and it doesnt affect her at all. But because i was so worried i done a lot of research on this topic and made a guest post for www.horsesmad.com here (http://www.horsesmad.com/umbilical-hernia-horses/). I hope you enjoy the post and get some valuable information from it. This is the culmination of weeks upon weeks of research!