Sign in to follow this  
AlmostAranch24

how to treat white line disease?

I just got this Mare from CBER and they said that she has White line Disease in her front left hoof. I looked her over today and she has a corrective show on. Someone was taking care of her at one point. I have never dealt with this and was curious if it is a treatable thing. or will she end up going lame?

Tina

I just got this Mare from CBER and they said that she has White line Disease in her front left hoof. I looked her over today and she has a corrective show on. Someone was taking care of her at one point. I have never dealt with this and was curious if it is a treatable thing. or will she end up going lame?

Tina

White line disease can be treated, if it's in the early stages. Ask your farrier for recommendations. Mine gave me a *prescription* for my horse, but it was to prevent prospective WLD.....

I don't know how long your horse has had WLD and I'm not too familiar with it.

If you want my *recipe*, let me know. [Wink]

White line disease can be treated, if it's in the early stages. Ask your farrier for recommendations. Mine gave me a *prescription* for my horse, but it was to prevent prospective WLD.....

I don't know how long your horse has had WLD and I'm not too familiar with it.

If you want my *recipe*, let me know. [Wink]

There are various stages of white line disease. I'm wondering if she has a corrective shoe on, was her hoof debrided at one point? That is where they cut off all the rotten stuff and take away a lot of the hoof. Then they need a special shoe to stabilize the foot. My horse has the early stages of white line disease and my vet has me treating it with bleach. I put it in a spray bottle and spray it on his hooves a couple of times a week. White line disease is very treatable and after you have it cured, you shouldn't have any problems.

Debi

There are various stages of white line disease. I'm wondering if she has a corrective shoe on, was her hoof debrided at one point? That is where they cut off all the rotten stuff and take away a lot of the hoof. Then they need a special shoe to stabilize the foot. My horse has the early stages of white line disease and my vet has me treating it with bleach. I put it in a spray bottle and spray it on his hooves a couple of times a week. White line disease is very treatable and after you have it cured, you shouldn't have any problems.

Debi

she does have a shoe on, and they have debrided it. i will be turning her out in the pasture tomorrow, and that will help clean off all the dirt that is caked on the front of her hoof. so then i will be able to look at it better. from what i see it really isnt that bad. but coming off of that feedlot, i dont know when a farrier last looked at her. i dont know why she ended up to head to slaughter, other than the owners ran her threw an auction and a killer buyer bought her. i will take pics after the snow and grass clean her hooves.

Thanks,

Tina

she does have a shoe on, and they have debrided it. i will be turning her out in the pasture tomorrow, and that will help clean off all the dirt that is caked on the front of her hoof. so then i will be able to look at it better. from what i see it really isnt that bad. but coming off of that feedlot, i dont know when a farrier last looked at her. i dont know why she ended up to head to slaughter, other than the owners ran her threw an auction and a killer buyer bought her. i will take pics after the snow and grass clean her hooves.

Thanks,

Tina

kudo's to u for keeping her from being put down.

[Yay] sounds like she can be made sound from the posts i've read.

kudo's to u for keeping her from being put down.

[Yay] sounds like she can be made sound from the posts i've read.

Yes, that is wonderful that you saved her! Her owners maybe got tired of waiting for her foot to grow out. So sad. It can take a whole year for a foot to grow out. You don't have a hose you can wash that out with? You might have to clean it on a regular basis so you can treat it with the medicine or bleach or whatever the vet recommends. I know it's got to be kept clean.

Debi

Yes, that is wonderful that you saved her! Her owners maybe got tired of waiting for her foot to grow out. So sad. It can take a whole year for a foot to grow out. You don't have a hose you can wash that out with? You might have to clean it on a regular basis so you can treat it with the medicine or bleach or whatever the vet recommends. I know it's got to be kept clean.

Debi

well she has been turned out in the pasture for 3 days now, and the 2st day she came back up and all the dirt was cleaned off of her hoof and i was finally able to get a good view of what was going on. from what i have been reading and seeing in pictures, this looks great! she has been debrided, but it is not that bad at all. i know there can still be things going on under the hoof wall, so when she comes up i go ahead and spray it with bleach.

I have been spraying straight bleach, should i mix it with water or just keep spraying it straight?

I will be calling the vet to see who around here deals with this. my farrier has never had to deal with this before. so i want to call the vet and see who he refers.

just as soon as i get a chance i will take pictures.

Thank you guys for all your responses. She is such a sweetheart and i dont want anthing to happen to her.

Thanks guys,

Tina

well she has been turned out in the pasture for 3 days now, and the 2st day she came back up and all the dirt was cleaned off of her hoof and i was finally able to get a good view of what was going on. from what i have been reading and seeing in pictures, this looks great! she has been debrided, but it is not that bad at all. i know there can still be things going on under the hoof wall, so when she comes up i go ahead and spray it with bleach.

I have been spraying straight bleach, should i mix it with water or just keep spraying it straight?

I will be calling the vet to see who around here deals with this. my farrier has never had to deal with this before. so i want to call the vet and see who he refers.

just as soon as i get a chance i will take pictures.

Thank you guys for all your responses. She is such a sweetheart and i dont want anthing to happen to her.

Thanks guys,

Tina