Sign in to follow this  
mattiesmymare

Pine Tar and Hoof Health

I use Hoof Flex by Farnam and I am sure it has pine tar in it.

I use it when the girls feet look a little dry *we had a drought here this year for awhile*

I have never heard of bad things associated with pine tar unless your name is Pete Rose....Sorry had to slide that one in.

I don't use it daily as my girls don't need it.

I use Hoof Flex by Farnam and I am sure it has pine tar in it.

I use it when the girls feet look a little dry *we had a drought here this year for awhile*

I have never heard of bad things associated with pine tar unless your name is Pete Rose....Sorry had to slide that one in.

I don't use it daily as my girls don't need it.

Have used pine tar on the soles /bottom of tender feet for years. Don't think that I would use it on the whole hoof though.

What reason are they giving for not using it?

Have used pine tar on the soles /bottom of tender feet for years. Don't think that I would use it on the whole hoof though.

What reason are they giving for not using it?

My horse was limping on 1 foot a couple of weeks ago. We checked & pulled a little stick from the edge of the frog. We cleaned up his foot & Doctored him the best we knew how. I told my farrier about it & asked him to take a closer look. He trimmed & scrapped & that spot was still sore & bled. He put Pine Tar and a drawing sav on the sole then wrapped it in duck tape. I will be taking off the stuff this afternoon for the results.

My horse was limping on 1 foot a couple of weeks ago. We checked & pulled a little stick from the edge of the frog. We cleaned up his foot & Doctored him the best we knew how. I told my farrier about it & asked him to take a closer look. He trimmed & scrapped & that spot was still sore & bled. He put Pine Tar and a drawing sav on the sole then wrapped it in duck tape. I will be taking off the stuff this afternoon for the results.

We quit using hoof dresings about 30 years ago. Before that I went through gallons of Hoof Flex as I lived in an extremely dry part of western Colorado. Feet got so hard and dry you could barely close the nipper handles or drive a nail in them without the Hoof Flex.

I had been having problems with quarter cracks and stone bruises. I was condidioning several Arabian AERC endurnace horses as well as training a whole barn full of ??? I got so frustrated that I changed farriers. The new farrier came and worked on the quarter cracks, some of which had caused severe lameness and frequently bled profusely as they went to the hairline. First thing he did was made me throw out the dressings. He said feral horses have always thrived in dry rocky deserts. No one went around softening their feet. Since then, the only time I have hoof problems is when it is rainy and wet and their feet get soft. Then I opt for using something to help dry and harden them. I quit considering dry, hard feet to be a problem.

Here in Oklahoma, I think feet lose all their integrity when they're in a trainer's facility. When they are only ridden in soft, deep sandy pens and are bedded on soft shavings, their soles frequently drop and ther feet get so tender and soft that they can't take anything. I not only think they are quicker to bruise and abcess, I think they are quicker to founder. Man can be horse's worst enemy in more ways than one.

We quit using hoof dresings about 30 years ago. Before that I went through gallons of Hoof Flex as I lived in an extremely dry part of western Colorado. Feet got so hard and dry you could barely close the nipper handles or drive a nail in them without the Hoof Flex.

I had been having problems with quarter cracks and stone bruises. I was condidioning several Arabian AERC endurnace horses as well as training a whole barn full of ??? I got so frustrated that I changed farriers. The new farrier came and worked on the quarter cracks, some of which had caused severe lameness and frequently bled profusely as they went to the hairline. First thing he did was made me throw out the dressings. He said feral horses have always thrived in dry rocky deserts. No one went around softening their feet. Since then, the only time I have hoof problems is when it is rainy and wet and their feet get soft. Then I opt for using something to help dry and harden them. I quit considering dry, hard feet to be a problem.

Here in Oklahoma, I think feet lose all their integrity when they're in a trainer's facility. When they are only ridden in soft, deep sandy pens and are bedded on soft shavings, their soles frequently drop and ther feet get so tender and soft that they can't take anything. I not only think they are quicker to bruise and abcess, I think they are quicker to founder. Man can be horse's worst enemy in more ways than one.

Lehman's catalog sells pine tar soap for people. They say it is great for psoriasis, dandruff, eczema and other skin irritations. They say their customers claim it is good for renewing circulation, repelling fleas, stopping body odor and even curing baldness! I think pine tar is in a lot of hoof preparations and you can also buy it straight. I have a can that I plan to use on my horses' feet.

Debi

Lehman's catalog sells pine tar soap for people. They say it is great for psoriasis, dandruff, eczema and other skin irritations. They say their customers claim it is good for renewing circulation, repelling fleas, stopping body odor and even curing baldness! I think pine tar is in a lot of hoof preparations and you can also buy it straight. I have a can that I plan to use on my horses' feet.

Debi

Yeah youre right man am I confused, I was thinking Rose because I had been reading about that betting scandle.

THANKS for the correction and great minds think alike LOL

quote:

Originally posted by palomino_overo:

It was George Brett of the K.C. Royals not Pete Rose (sorry but had to correct because you beat me to that comment LOL)

Yeah youre right man am I confused, I was thinking Rose because I had been reading about that betting scandle.

THANKS for the correction and great minds think alike LOL

quote:

Originally posted by palomino_overo:

It was George Brett of the K.C. Royals not Pete Rose (sorry but had to correct because you beat me to that comment LOL)

I would say if there is nothing wrong with the hoofs right now, don't use anything!

Someone told me a while back, I was so worried about my horses and kept up with all the supplements and everything...he told me to just relax! He made a good point...we over supplement, over groom, over everything with our horses these days when they don't need it!

He told me unless my vet suggests it...not to waste my money!

I would say if there is nothing wrong with the hoofs right now, don't use anything!

Someone told me a while back, I was so worried about my horses and kept up with all the supplements and everything...he told me to just relax! He made a good point...we over supplement, over groom, over everything with our horses these days when they don't need it!

He told me unless my vet suggests it...not to waste my money!