Sign in to follow this  
Duke_Maverick

Barefooted horses

I am hoping our new Blacksmith can do a Mustang trim, I really hate shoeing guys I don't find it natural but I have one that will have to have them when I go to riding her next year bummer.

I thought my girls were okay until this winter when my oldest BLM mare went googy on me.

She is back out of the infirmary could this be a one time thing?

I will ask my Blacksmith and see if she really needs shod or what I can put on her hooves to retoughen them.

I am hoping our new Blacksmith can do a Mustang trim, I really hate shoeing guys I don't find it natural but I have one that will have to have them when I go to riding her next year bummer.

I thought my girls were okay until this winter when my oldest BLM mare went googy on me.

She is back out of the infirmary could this be a one time thing?

I will ask my Blacksmith and see if she really needs shod or what I can put on her hooves to retoughen them.

I have a question about the boots. I have never used them but I would feel kind of unsafe going on some of the rough trails I ride. ARe they as sure footed with these on while going up and down steep rocky hills? My horse is barefoot for winter and maybe longer if it works out. I would prefer natural but he is white footed and I want to go on some long trail rides. I feel a little nervous about it. Not sure what to do. Want to do the right thing by him. I am ready to buy a set of the boas. It seems more people recommend those.

I have a question about the boots. I have never used them but I would feel kind of unsafe going on some of the rough trails I ride. ARe they as sure footed with these on while going up and down steep rocky hills? My horse is barefoot for winter and maybe longer if it works out. I would prefer natural but he is white footed and I want to go on some long trail rides. I feel a little nervous about it. Not sure what to do. Want to do the right thing by him. I am ready to buy a set of the boas. It seems more people recommend those.

While I haven't used them, my friend, KLN uses them on her horse Dixie. I've never noticed her having any problems w/footing. I think she uses Old Macs, though, I'm not sure. Just because your horse has white feet doesn't necessarily mean that they have softer hooves. I know people used to believe that to be true, but my horse is white footed, and I've never used boots on her, and I've ridden on some rocky trails, plus pavement.

While I haven't used them, my friend, KLN uses them on her horse Dixie. I've never noticed her having any problems w/footing. I think she uses Old Macs, though, I'm not sure. Just because your horse has white feet doesn't necessarily mean that they have softer hooves. I know people used to believe that to be true, but my horse is white footed, and I've never used boots on her, and I've ridden on some rocky trails, plus pavement.

Hubby says " they don't come that way from the manufacurer,..." [ROTFL] He also is a "car" person, and does alot of things to them that are not from the manufaturer. [Confused] Raimi has been shoe free for three years and hubby HATES to do her feet, says it would be easier to cut stone with the hoof knife then her hooves. buddy has never had shoes and has not missteped once since we got him.

Hubby says " they don't come that way from the manufacurer,..." [ROTFL] He also is a "car" person, and does alot of things to them that are not from the manufaturer. [Confused] Raimi has been shoe free for three years and hubby HATES to do her feet, says it would be easier to cut stone with the hoof knife then her hooves. buddy has never had shoes and has not missteped once since we got him.

Both my horses are barefoot now. My boarder kept shoes on her horse all the time and he went lame. It was so bad that she couldnt ride him at all. She finally took him to a really good shoer and vet who told her that because she was having him shod all the time, he couldnt get his feet to adjust to the way he balanced and broke over and it caused strain to his legs. Horseshoers tend to shoe all horses the same way and not all horses walk the same way. Now she has him wearing natural balance shoes that are flexible to the way he places his feet and hes going sound again. I have had such bad experiences with horseshoers that my horses are now barefoot and will remain so. Horseshoers around here are hard to get a hold of and hardly ever show when they are supposed to and it costs upwards of 120.00 for the two front shoes! If the horse has good feet, then theres no need to shoe them.

Both my horses are barefoot now. My boarder kept shoes on her horse all the time and he went lame. It was so bad that she couldnt ride him at all. She finally took him to a really good shoer and vet who told her that because she was having him shod all the time, he couldnt get his feet to adjust to the way he balanced and broke over and it caused strain to his legs. Horseshoers tend to shoe all horses the same way and not all horses walk the same way. Now she has him wearing natural balance shoes that are flexible to the way he places his feet and hes going sound again. I have had such bad experiences with horseshoers that my horses are now barefoot and will remain so. Horseshoers around here are hard to get a hold of and hardly ever show when they are supposed to and it costs upwards of 120.00 for the two front shoes! If the horse has good feet, then theres no need to shoe them.

My young horse is barefoot. As he is growing, he needs to be trimmed every 5 weeks. I mainly trail ride, but also do ring work when the weather is bad. My horse has never been shod. My Vet suggested going barefoot when he did the pre-purchase exam. I assumed that he would at least need front shoes. All my other horses have always had shoes all round. I was able to ride when it snowed because he is barefoot! My farrier showed me how to rasp the edges of the hoof if they chip between trimmings. Barefoot is working well for my horse!

My young horse is barefoot. As he is growing, he needs to be trimmed every 5 weeks. I mainly trail ride, but also do ring work when the weather is bad. My horse has never been shod. My Vet suggested going barefoot when he did the pre-purchase exam. I assumed that he would at least need front shoes. All my other horses have always had shoes all round. I was able to ride when it snowed because he is barefoot! My farrier showed me how to rasp the edges of the hoof if they chip between trimmings. Barefoot is working well for my horse!

All three of mine are barefoot and doing great. The two that are under saddle have their own sets of boots that I put on for the really rocky trails. The third will too, when she's started under saddle in the spring [big Grin]

For my one mare, I use the boots not because she'll get sore (she NEVER has taken an off step, no matter what the terrain!) but because if I ride on the rocky trails a lot and for long periods, it wears her hooves faster than they can grow.

My daughter's pony is sound on most anything and is barefoot, but on the really rocky trails he will get a bit tender, so that's why he wears the boots on them. On anything else, even gravel, he's completely sound and comfortable barefoot.

I think barefoot is best for the majority of horses. For some, especially those who live in stalls, it can be more difficult. If your horse is already barefoot and doing well, chances are you will be fine continuing that way!

My horses all get trimmed at least once a month. My farrier does it for them once every three months, and I do it in between pretty frequently. It seems to work well for them that way.

[ 12-24-2005, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: e.s.dressage ]

All three of mine are barefoot and doing great. The two that are under saddle have their own sets of boots that I put on for the really rocky trails. The third will too, when she's started under saddle in the spring [big Grin]

For my one mare, I use the boots not because she'll get sore (she NEVER has taken an off step, no matter what the terrain!) but because if I ride on the rocky trails a lot and for long periods, it wears her hooves faster than they can grow.

My daughter's pony is sound on most anything and is barefoot, but on the really rocky trails he will get a bit tender, so that's why he wears the boots on them. On anything else, even gravel, he's completely sound and comfortable barefoot.

I think barefoot is best for the majority of horses. For some, especially those who live in stalls, it can be more difficult. If your horse is already barefoot and doing well, chances are you will be fine continuing that way!

My horses all get trimmed at least once a month. My farrier does it for them once every three months, and I do it in between pretty frequently. It seems to work well for them that way.

[ 12-24-2005, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: e.s.dressage ]

Barefoot is great, but it's not the answer for every horse. Some must be shod for whatever reason. I have one who tried to cut the bulb of his right front foot off and he must have front shoes to be ridden. In winter he can go barefoot, as long as i only ride him on soft ground. But heck, i rarely ever ride in winter. LOL

It's important to do what the horse requires, not what we think he needs. If you have a competant farrier and vet, your horse will be able to "tell" you and them what he needs.

My horses go barefoot all winter and then get shod in spring so i can start hard conditioning for barrels. While i have run barrels barefoot in select arenas, i would never make a practice of it. Too easy to lose traction and pull a muscle or worse yet, hit a rock or hard dirt clod and stone bruise.

As for pulling shoes off...if a horse loses shoes all the time, find a better farrier! Unless he gets them hung up on something or has horribly brittle feet, the shoes should NOT come off.

MERRY CHRISTMAS And HAPPY NEW YEAR

HTTY And GBTUSA

Bumper

Barefoot is great, but it's not the answer for every horse. Some must be shod for whatever reason. I have one who tried to cut the bulb of his right front foot off and he must have front shoes to be ridden. In winter he can go barefoot, as long as i only ride him on soft ground. But heck, i rarely ever ride in winter. LOL

It's important to do what the horse requires, not what we think he needs. If you have a competant farrier and vet, your horse will be able to "tell" you and them what he needs.

My horses go barefoot all winter and then get shod in spring so i can start hard conditioning for barrels. While i have run barrels barefoot in select arenas, i would never make a practice of it. Too easy to lose traction and pull a muscle or worse yet, hit a rock or hard dirt clod and stone bruise.

As for pulling shoes off...if a horse loses shoes all the time, find a better farrier! Unless he gets them hung up on something or has horribly brittle feet, the shoes should NOT come off.

MERRY CHRISTMAS And HAPPY NEW YEAR

HTTY And GBTUSA

Bumper

Ditto on te different strokes for different horses. Most of mine go barefoot but one doesnt grow heal and occasionally we need him shod. One came walking on his heal bulbs and tearing chuncks out of them, so he is currently shod. I prefer barefoot for our sandy, soft terrian but its not always the best for each horse.

Ditto on te different strokes for different horses. Most of mine go barefoot but one doesnt grow heal and occasionally we need him shod. One came walking on his heal bulbs and tearing chuncks out of them, so he is currently shod. I prefer barefoot for our sandy, soft terrian but its not always the best for each horse.

go to horseshoes.com and check out the bulletin board there - lots of good stuff and advice for barefooted hores owners.

I tried to leave mine barefooted, but it didn't work out - I was riding the heels right off of him - the boot suggestion was a good one -

go to horseshoes.com and check out the bulletin board there - lots of good stuff and advice for barefooted hores owners.

I tried to leave mine barefooted, but it didn't work out - I was riding the heels right off of him - the boot suggestion was a good one -

I personally think the boots suck.

I have used the Easy Boots and the Boas. Anyone that thinks these boots provide traction are sadly mistaken.

I've used the easy boots the most and they are hard to put on, they suck off when going through any type of wet surface, and the little metal "hooks" on the inside of the boot to help keep them on tear the crap out of your horses hooves. Now, these were the old ones - there is a newer version out that doesn't have the hooks anymore, but instead has a "gaiter" that is attached to the back of the boot itself and then velcroes up around the horses fetlock. That is probably an improvement as far as loosing boots goes, but I'll never use the boots for riding again simply because of the terrible ttime my horses had with traction.

The Boas are VERY easy to put on, but large and bulky and I simply cannot believe you can use these boots for riding because during extended wear the inside front of the boot (under the "dial") wears off the hair and coronary band on the front of the hoof.

I guess my experiences with boots are not all that positive and I won't be using them for riding purposes anymore.

I personally think the boots suck.

I have used the Easy Boots and the Boas. Anyone that thinks these boots provide traction are sadly mistaken.

I've used the easy boots the most and they are hard to put on, they suck off when going through any type of wet surface, and the little metal "hooks" on the inside of the boot to help keep them on tear the crap out of your horses hooves. Now, these were the old ones - there is a newer version out that doesn't have the hooks anymore, but instead has a "gaiter" that is attached to the back of the boot itself and then velcroes up around the horses fetlock. That is probably an improvement as far as loosing boots goes, but I'll never use the boots for riding again simply because of the terrible ttime my horses had with traction.

The Boas are VERY easy to put on, but large and bulky and I simply cannot believe you can use these boots for riding because during extended wear the inside front of the boot (under the "dial") wears off the hair and coronary band on the front of the hoof.

I guess my experiences with boots are not all that positive and I won't be using them for riding purposes anymore.