Sign in to follow this  
Duke_Maverick

Barefooted horses

hey guys. I have a 3 yr old qh that ive never shod. Ive never really taken him on rocky trails or n e thing and was wanting to know what every 1's experiance was with barefooted horses. Do you think it would hurt him to go on a rocky trail? thanks alot

hey guys. I have a 3 yr old qh that ive never shod. Ive never really taken him on rocky trails or n e thing and was wanting to know what every 1's experiance was with barefooted horses. Do you think it would hurt him to go on a rocky trail? thanks alot

Barefoot's the best! Rocky trails should make his feet even stronger, long as you allow him time to adjust. And you won't have to trim as often! Start with short rides on the rocks, then gradually take him on longer ones. If he seems sore at first, that doesn't mean he needs shoes. Just give it time..

Barefoot's the best! Rocky trails should make his feet even stronger, long as you allow him time to adjust. And you won't have to trim as often! Start with short rides on the rocks, then gradually take him on longer ones. If he seems sore at first, that doesn't mean he needs shoes. Just give it time..

All my horses are barefoot. The one has NEVER been shod. His feet are so tough that the farrier has to take more time trimming him. Just because they gimp in awhile doesn't mean anything. The longer he is barefoot the better his feet will get [big Grin]

All my horses are barefoot. The one has NEVER been shod. His feet are so tough that the farrier has to take more time trimming him. Just because they gimp in awhile doesn't mean anything. The longer he is barefoot the better his feet will get [big Grin]

I totally agree. My horse was barefoot her whole life before I got her. I experimented with shoeing for awhile. My horse did fine with shoes, but then, if she'd ever pull a shoe, I couldn't ride her until another got put on, and I had to have her shod ever 7 to 8 weeks. It was a pain in the butt. She ended up going lame because she pulled both of her back shoes within days of eachother, and I didn't have them replace, because she had just gotten them on. To make a long story short, the farrier had trimmed her hooves so short in prep for the shoes, and she was really lame for about a month. Now, she's barefoot on all four feet, I haven't had to trim her in 2 and a half months, and I won't need to for another month or so. I wish that I had kept her barefoot the entire time I had her. The horse will adjust to the rocks to. I highly recommend keeping him/her barefoot.

[Yay]

Thats good that he is barefoot, but if you are going to ride him on trails a lot, you should get him shod, or you can get him boots like Old Macs or Easy Boots.

I totally agree. My horse was barefoot her whole life before I got her. I experimented with shoeing for awhile. My horse did fine with shoes, but then, if she'd ever pull a shoe, I couldn't ride her until another got put on, and I had to have her shod ever 7 to 8 weeks. It was a pain in the butt. She ended up going lame because she pulled both of her back shoes within days of eachother, and I didn't have them replace, because she had just gotten them on. To make a long story short, the farrier had trimmed her hooves so short in prep for the shoes, and she was really lame for about a month. Now, she's barefoot on all four feet, I haven't had to trim her in 2 and a half months, and I won't need to for another month or so. I wish that I had kept her barefoot the entire time I had her. The horse will adjust to the rocks to. I highly recommend keeping him/her barefoot.

[Yay]

Thats good that he is barefoot, but if you are going to ride him on trails a lot, you should get him shod, or you can get him boots like Old Macs or Easy Boots.

. Just because they gimp in awhile doesn't mean anything.

Not exactly, I have not shod my horses for over a year and this year with the drought and now frozen ground our BLM mare had to be in the barn lot and shavings due to badly bruised feet.

Yes she is trimmed reguarly and really doesn't have flat feet.

She got so bad I had Xrays done.

Everything else was ruled out.

She is much better and we are rethinking of putting shoes back on the front feet of at least 3 of the 4. Our next appointment is in Jan.

. Just because they gimp in awhile doesn't mean anything.

Not exactly, I have not shod my horses for over a year and this year with the drought and now frozen ground our BLM mare had to be in the barn lot and shavings due to badly bruised feet.

Yes she is trimmed reguarly and really doesn't have flat feet.

She got so bad I had Xrays done.

Everything else was ruled out.

She is much better and we are rethinking of putting shoes back on the front feet of at least 3 of the 4. Our next appointment is in Jan.

I say go barefoot! My 5 y/o has never been shod, and his hooves are in great shape. My friend's horse at the barn is shod, and he is always comming up with thrush, a pulled shoe... blah blah blah... I think the shoes help keep IN stuff actually.

Sorry-- started to ramble--

Go barefoot. Introduce new surfaces- like rocks- slowly. He'll get used to them, and his hooves will get stronger!

[smiley Wavey]

I say go barefoot! My 5 y/o has never been shod, and his hooves are in great shape. My friend's horse at the barn is shod, and he is always comming up with thrush, a pulled shoe... blah blah blah... I think the shoes help keep IN stuff actually.

Sorry-- started to ramble--

Go barefoot. Introduce new surfaces- like rocks- slowly. He'll get used to them, and his hooves will get stronger!

[smiley Wavey]

quote:

Originally posted by Rusty'sGirl:

Yeah, get him some booties!! But the Boa, Easycare Epic, or Swiss Horse Boots are the ones the AANHCP recommends!

quote:

Originally posted by Rusty'sGirl:

Yeah, get him some booties!! But the Boa, Easycare Epic, or Swiss Horse Boots are the ones the AANHCP recommends!

MY horse is barefoot, and has been since I got her. Most horses do well barefoot, but there are some out there that need the shoes. Boots are a good idea if you take her places where the terrain is different than what she's used to. Try her and see.

MY horse is barefoot, and has been since I got her. Most horses do well barefoot, but there are some out there that need the shoes. Boots are a good idea if you take her places where the terrain is different than what she's used to. Try her and see.

No need for shoeing him if you get a well balanced trim.

I live in CO and ride my horses on mountain trails barefoot. It took them some time to condition their hooves to it. When I first pulled their shoes they couldn't have done it but with conditioning they tromp across anything now. If you house your horse on soft terrain add some gravel in his pasture where he has to cross over it a few times a day, like in a gateway or around the water trough. This really helps toughen them up.

If you want to ride in a terrain that your horse isn't used to Hoof Boots work great. Take them along with you on the trail, if your horse get's gimpy and tells you he needs them jump off and put them on. Someone mentioned the AANHCP recommends Swiss Boots...they used to but they now mostly recommend Boas and Epics. You can look at www.easycareinc.com

Boa boots are really good and easy to put on...more user friendly. That's what I have. Epics are great for more competitive or long rides. They are less bulky than the Boas.

There is a person that posts on this board named OzarkTrailRider or something like that. She rides barefoot in the Buffalo river area (North AR, some of the rockiest terrain in the US) on all her horses. They used to be shod but found they do even better barefoot.

You might go look at some websites that talk specifically about barefoot horses like www.equethy.com www.healthyhoof.com www.drabekhoofcare.com ...all that good stuff....there are a lot of sites on the subject.

No need for shoeing him if you get a well balanced trim.

I live in CO and ride my horses on mountain trails barefoot. It took them some time to condition their hooves to it. When I first pulled their shoes they couldn't have done it but with conditioning they tromp across anything now. If you house your horse on soft terrain add some gravel in his pasture where he has to cross over it a few times a day, like in a gateway or around the water trough. This really helps toughen them up.

If you want to ride in a terrain that your horse isn't used to Hoof Boots work great. Take them along with you on the trail, if your horse get's gimpy and tells you he needs them jump off and put them on. Someone mentioned the AANHCP recommends Swiss Boots...they used to but they now mostly recommend Boas and Epics. You can look at www.easycareinc.com

Boa boots are really good and easy to put on...more user friendly. That's what I have. Epics are great for more competitive or long rides. They are less bulky than the Boas.

There is a person that posts on this board named OzarkTrailRider or something like that. She rides barefoot in the Buffalo river area (North AR, some of the rockiest terrain in the US) on all her horses. They used to be shod but found they do even better barefoot.

You might go look at some websites that talk specifically about barefoot horses like www.equethy.com www.healthyhoof.com www.drabekhoofcare.com ...all that good stuff....there are a lot of sites on the subject.

Oh, I forgot....some really good books are

"Making Natural Hoof Care Work for You" by Pete Ramey

and

"Horse Owner's Guide to Natural Hoof Care" by Jaime Jackson

Both can be gotten on amazon.com That will really give you a ton of info and answer all your questions. It talks about how to properly trim.

Oh, I forgot....some really good books are

"Making Natural Hoof Care Work for You" by Pete Ramey

and

"Horse Owner's Guide to Natural Hoof Care" by Jaime Jackson

Both can be gotten on amazon.com That will really give you a ton of info and answer all your questions. It talks about how to properly trim.

I have had horses for going on 20 years. A few that I bought or boarded came with shoes and ended up barefoot. Both mine now are barefoot, and the older of the 2 is extremely difficult to trim because his feet are that tough. Only one of all of them really needed shoes. She had apparently foundered when she was younger, plus was part thoroughbred, and unless you rode her on soft ground or in a sand arena, she would be painfully lame, bruised, even abscess without shoes (plus pads or EZ Boots over her shoes if it was very rocky). So yes, 9 out of 10 will be okay without shoes, but don't be so die-hard barefoot that you put your horse at unnecessary risk - just listen to what he tells you.

I have had horses for going on 20 years. A few that I bought or boarded came with shoes and ended up barefoot. Both mine now are barefoot, and the older of the 2 is extremely difficult to trim because his feet are that tough. Only one of all of them really needed shoes. She had apparently foundered when she was younger, plus was part thoroughbred, and unless you rode her on soft ground or in a sand arena, she would be painfully lame, bruised, even abscess without shoes (plus pads or EZ Boots over her shoes if it was very rocky). So yes, 9 out of 10 will be okay without shoes, but don't be so die-hard barefoot that you put your horse at unnecessary risk - just listen to what he tells you.

quote:

Originally posted by professionalameture:

I know some ppl who have a horse who's been barefoot all his life and they CANT shoe him cuz his feet are so hard
[Razz]

Now THAT is awesome!

quote:

Originally posted by professionalameture:

I know some ppl who have a horse who's been barefoot all his life and they CANT shoe him cuz his feet are so hard
[Razz]

Now THAT is awesome!