Sign in to follow this  
gillypooh_001

Superficial Hoof Cracks

A mare of mine started having small short "cracks" in her hoof wall in the toe section about half way up. They were not deep and my farrier said don;t worry about them, that it was a dry summer, and they would go away with the extra moisture in the winter, however, they have not. It is not making her lame or getting worse, i just would like them to go away or for someone to tell me they will be fine. I don;t really want to start feeding her billion dollar supplements to stop it, but is there any affordable way to help her out. With her breeding (appaloosa arab cross) I wouldn't think she would have bad feet, but they are cracking. They are vertical and about 6-8 right in a row, but just a hair deep... any idea what's causing it and what i can do? And no, they are not spreading up into the coronary band, however they are reoccuring...

A mare of mine started having small short "cracks" in her hoof wall in the toe section about half way up. They were not deep and my farrier said don;t worry about them, that it was a dry summer, and they would go away with the extra moisture in the winter, however, they have not. It is not making her lame or getting worse, i just would like them to go away or for someone to tell me they will be fine. I don;t really want to start feeding her billion dollar supplements to stop it, but is there any affordable way to help her out. With her breeding (appaloosa arab cross) I wouldn't think she would have bad feet, but they are cracking. They are vertical and about 6-8 right in a row, but just a hair deep... any idea what's causing it and what i can do? And no, they are not spreading up into the coronary band, however they are reoccuring...

Corona... rub it onto the cracks (you'll see quicker results if you spread it more generously) after soaking or hosing her hooves with water for a short while. If it's too cold to hose, dont worry about it. The hosing just adds quite bit more moisture in addition to the corona. After one application you should see a reduction in the cracks and after two or three, they should be almost completely gone. Spread the corona thinly if you want to conserve it or thickly if it's cost-efficient for you. If you can apply this to all four hooves once every two weeks or so, the crack should stay away. After the first few applications, you can spread it quite thinly and it will still work well.

And really, she'd be fine without doing anything if they are small and superficial. It's usually just a slight lack of moisture

Corona... rub it onto the cracks (you'll see quicker results if you spread it more generously) after soaking or hosing her hooves with water for a short while. If it's too cold to hose, dont worry about it. The hosing just adds quite bit more moisture in addition to the corona. After one application you should see a reduction in the cracks and after two or three, they should be almost completely gone. Spread the corona thinly if you want to conserve it or thickly if it's cost-efficient for you. If you can apply this to all four hooves once every two weeks or so, the crack should stay away. After the first few applications, you can spread it quite thinly and it will still work well.

And really, she'd be fine without doing anything if they are small and superficial. It's usually just a slight lack of moisture

Hi, the farrier school that I took my mare to said that if the feet are balanced thereby distributing the weight evenly you should not have quarter cracks. I am not sure about the cracks that you are talking about. It could be a nutritional problem. I use mana pro's show glo vitamins. It has everything in it.

Hi, the farrier school that I took my mare to said that if the feet are balanced thereby distributing the weight evenly you should not have quarter cracks. I am not sure about the cracks that you are talking about. It could be a nutritional problem. I use mana pro's show glo vitamins. It has everything in it.

they arent quarter cracks. They are on the toe section of her hoof and are only on the wall, they do not begin either in the coronet or the actual edge of the wall. To fhchick:.. CORONA? As in like alcohol? Beer???? Ok.... what would my dad think?? lol. haha. Is there anyting besides that more legally accessible by a 15 year old??

they arent quarter cracks. They are on the toe section of her hoof and are only on the wall, they do not begin either in the coronet or the actual edge of the wall. To fhchick:.. CORONA? As in like alcohol? Beer???? Ok.... what would my dad think?? lol. haha. Is there anyting besides that more legally accessible by a 15 year old??

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product...nd_id=831&Page=

http://www.allivet.com/CORONA_LIQUEFIED_HO...ING_p/10032.htm

I personally use the second one, not the first.. have yet to try it [the one in the first link], but I trust this brand and I've heard about the first stuff and it supposedly works just as well as the other. I wouldn't bother with buying it online though, every tack store I've been to carries it.

LOL .. goose. [ROTFL] I never really think that Corona hoof stuff would be mistaken for the drink... how would that help a hoof goofball... and if youre 15, how would you know what that is [Razz]

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product...nd_id=831&Page=

http://www.allivet.com/CORONA_LIQUEFIED_HO...ING_p/10032.htm

I personally use the second one, not the first.. have yet to try it [the one in the first link], but I trust this brand and I've heard about the first stuff and it supposedly works just as well as the other. I wouldn't bother with buying it online though, every tack store I've been to carries it.

LOL .. goose. [ROTFL] I never really think that Corona hoof stuff would be mistaken for the drink... how would that help a hoof goofball... and if youre 15, how would you know what that is [Razz]

Ok, thats hilarious! [big Grin]

I have been to alot of tackstores and alot of vet clinics and alot of horse stores and everything and I have never ever heard of corona hoof cream. I had no clue how beer would do anything for hooves, and I wasn't really about to try it!! But, OK, hoof cream. That might be a little easier to get by my dad. Hahah, lol!! I feel retarded. I guess im way up in canada, maybe we don't even have it up here, I'll check it out. Hahah, oh dear.

Ok, thats hilarious! [big Grin]

I have been to alot of tackstores and alot of vet clinics and alot of horse stores and everything and I have never ever heard of corona hoof cream. I had no clue how beer would do anything for hooves, and I wasn't really about to try it!! But, OK, hoof cream. That might be a little easier to get by my dad. Hahah, lol!! I feel retarded. I guess im way up in canada, maybe we don't even have it up here, I'll check it out. Hahah, oh dear.

Gilly, funny you posted this question. I just asked my farrier about one of my mares superficial cracks too. Now I've only had her for 4 months. My farrier said she is fine, and doesn't need supplements. In her case proper trimming(as she didn't have before) will help a lot. She said the cracks were superficial only and that some horses have them as all hooves are different. She did say my horse has very "throughbred-y" feet. They flare/dish out as soon as they get a touch too long.

She also said most horses get enough nutrition in their feed/hay/grass to not require supplements(for hoof care).

If you do go to supplements make sure the combo of that and the feed doesn't "OD" the horse.

Gilly, funny you posted this question. I just asked my farrier about one of my mares superficial cracks too. Now I've only had her for 4 months. My farrier said she is fine, and doesn't need supplements. In her case proper trimming(as she didn't have before) will help a lot. She said the cracks were superficial only and that some horses have them as all hooves are different. She did say my horse has very "throughbred-y" feet. They flare/dish out as soon as they get a touch too long.

She also said most horses get enough nutrition in their feed/hay/grass to not require supplements(for hoof care).

If you do go to supplements make sure the combo of that and the feed doesn't "OD" the horse.

ok... yeah, I've only had her for about 9 months now, so I guess she is pretty new. I think she had her feet done, maybe once a year at her old place, but she'll be getting regular farrier work here, so hopefully that will help.

ok... yeah, I've only had her for about 9 months now, so I guess she is pretty new. I think she had her feet done, maybe once a year at her old place, but she'll be getting regular farrier work here, so hopefully that will help.

Frequent consistant farrier care and a good diet will help. Hoof oils and such actually seal moisture out...there was a good article on that in John Lyons magazine recently I think.

Toe cracks are normally indications the toe is too long or the heels are too high putting pressure/leverage on the toe, or a combination of both.

Quarter cracks are usually from having heels that aren't trimmed enough or are "left alone so they'll grow taller!" and what really happens is they start to grow under and get under run. This puts strain/pressure at the quarters. Or they can be caused by having a low heel or underrun heel combined with a long toe, also causing a prying force.

A hoof growth cycle is normally 8-12 months, so your horse has most likely had a full growth cycle if not close too it since you've owned her. If after a few more months she still has chronic cracks...superficial or not, then the farrier isn't being able to trim her often enough or he isn't keeping her balanced and you might try a different farrier for a while and see what happens.

Frequent consistant farrier care and a good diet will help. Hoof oils and such actually seal moisture out...there was a good article on that in John Lyons magazine recently I think.

Toe cracks are normally indications the toe is too long or the heels are too high putting pressure/leverage on the toe, or a combination of both.

Quarter cracks are usually from having heels that aren't trimmed enough or are "left alone so they'll grow taller!" and what really happens is they start to grow under and get under run. This puts strain/pressure at the quarters. Or they can be caused by having a low heel or underrun heel combined with a long toe, also causing a prying force.

A hoof growth cycle is normally 8-12 months, so your horse has most likely had a full growth cycle if not close too it since you've owned her. If after a few more months she still has chronic cracks...superficial or not, then the farrier isn't being able to trim her often enough or he isn't keeping her balanced and you might try a different farrier for a while and see what happens.