Sign in to follow this  
ixnayfoo

What is this? Vet #3, pg 5

So we bought this filly and have really no idea about her past because I believe the previous owner lied about what is wrong with her.

Here is pictures of her leg, I emailed UC Davis as well, I'm trying to get any info on what it may be, so we can explore all options.

Here's some pictures of her, her name's Paris by the way.

- She is very beautiful, it's a shame about her leg.

-

The leg looks to bend backwards. All wounds visable are fresh, she keeps tearing them open and itching, so we started wrapping her leg. We give her bute and antibiotics as prescribed by vet.

-

-

-

-

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, I wish I had a subscription to The Horse, as I bet I could find something there, but I'm limited in my research.

[ 02-28-2006, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: MudnSnw ]

So we bought this filly and have really no idea about her past because I believe the previous owner lied about what is wrong with her.

Here is pictures of her leg, I emailed UC Davis as well, I'm trying to get any info on what it may be, so we can explore all options.

Here's some pictures of her, her name's Paris by the way.

- She is very beautiful, it's a shame about her leg.

-

The leg looks to bend backwards. All wounds visable are fresh, she keeps tearing them open and itching, so we started wrapping her leg. We give her bute and antibiotics as prescribed by vet.

-

-

-

-

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated, I wish I had a subscription to The Horse, as I bet I could find something there, but I'm limited in my research.

[ 02-28-2006, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: MudnSnw ]

Good lord. [Eek!]

I have no idea but that's just sad to look at. Can she walk without being in tremendous pain? What kind of possible life could she lead with that leg like that? [Confused]

[ 02-23-2006, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: GSDLeaderPup ]

Good lord. [Eek!]

I have no idea but that's just sad to look at. Can she walk without being in tremendous pain? What kind of possible life could she lead with that leg like that? [Confused]

[ 02-23-2006, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: GSDLeaderPup ]

We are looking into surgery. It doesn't seem to bother her. We don't have much money, but she was a rescue, and we will somehow come up with the money to pay for it. She doesn't seem to be in pain, it really doesn't seem to bother her, she just itches at the scabs. She runs and plays with my filly Moose, who's a yearling, and although she limps, she runs like crazy and gets a little buck in occasionally. She seems happy.

I got two pictures from the previous owner, and one shows that she had that like 6 months ago. So she's used to it, whatever it is. Even if she's never rideable, I don't care, she has a forever home here.

My boyfriend loves her deeply, I bought her for him for Valentines and our 6 month anniversary. We go out and give her what she needs every AM and PM, she's the priority right now, as the other girls need no special care.

But I do believe she is happy, I wont put her to sleep unless it's a last resort, she is very full of life.

HezaWhisperingWildfire, thanks, all info is appreciated!

We are looking into surgery. It doesn't seem to bother her. We don't have much money, but she was a rescue, and we will somehow come up with the money to pay for it. She doesn't seem to be in pain, it really doesn't seem to bother her, she just itches at the scabs. She runs and plays with my filly Moose, who's a yearling, and although she limps, she runs like crazy and gets a little buck in occasionally. She seems happy.

I got two pictures from the previous owner, and one shows that she had that like 6 months ago. So she's used to it, whatever it is. Even if she's never rideable, I don't care, she has a forever home here.

My boyfriend loves her deeply, I bought her for him for Valentines and our 6 month anniversary. We go out and give her what she needs every AM and PM, she's the priority right now, as the other girls need no special care.

But I do believe she is happy, I wont put her to sleep unless it's a last resort, she is very full of life.

HezaWhisperingWildfire, thanks, all info is appreciated!

Please keep us updated about what you find out. I am also curious. My first thought about that leg is that it is a fracture that has healed itself in that odd shape. But that doesn't explain the long term oozing sores.

Please keep us updated about what you find out. I am also curious. My first thought about that leg is that it is a fracture that has healed itself in that odd shape. But that doesn't explain the long term oozing sores.

I saw pictures of your filly back in Jan. and she didn't look too bad then, what happened? [Confused]

How long has it looked like this? You said on your post in Jan. that she didn't have any medical issues,

I'm just wondering how long it's been injured, because that can make a big difference in treatments.

I saw pictures of your filly back in Jan. and she didn't look too bad then, what happened? [Confused]

How long has it looked like this? You said on your post in Jan. that she didn't have any medical issues,

I'm just wondering how long it's been injured, because that can make a big difference in treatments.

Hummm....I also looked at the pic you posted when you first got her. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, or maybe it's the angle, but I don't see anything wrong with the leg in THAT pic. And it's pretty visible.

I really think you need to get a vet involved.

Hummm....I also looked at the pic you posted when you first got her. Maybe I'm just not seeing it, or maybe it's the angle, but I don't see anything wrong with the leg in THAT pic. And it's pretty visible.

quote:

Originally posted by Grippen&Rippen:

She does have the vet in on this... I looked at the pictures also, the first one of her as a yearling and the more recent ones... one looked fine and the others showed a slight bump which looks smaller than the pictures posted here.

Although I don't knwo what's gping on with the leg I can say she needs some hoof work... the heels are too long and it's messing up her toe, putting an odd angle on the front part of the hooves.

I have seen one other case similar... a filly I worked with, 2yo, humongous... her back offside leg had a bump just like that slightly above her fetock.. looked terrible, didn't bother her at all, vet said there was nothing wrong with her, no way to get rid of it but time. It did get irritated from time to time and did swell up every now and then and get some heat, but 1g of bute or some exercise and it'd go back down to normal, which was still a larger unsightly bump. As for the rest of the cuts, that's obvious as far as how to treat.

quote:

Originally posted by Grippen&Rippen:

She does have the vet in on this... I looked at the pictures also, the first one of her as a yearling and the more recent ones... one looked fine and the others showed a slight bump which looks smaller than the pictures posted here.

Although I don't knwo what's gping on with the leg I can say she needs some hoof work... the heels are too long and it's messing up her toe, putting an odd angle on the front part of the hooves.

I have seen one other case similar... a filly I worked with, 2yo, humongous... her back offside leg had a bump just like that slightly above her fetock.. looked terrible, didn't bother her at all, vet said there was nothing wrong with her, no way to get rid of it but time. It did get irritated from time to time and did swell up every now and then and get some heat, but 1g of bute or some exercise and it'd go back down to normal, which was still a larger unsightly bump. As for the rest of the cuts, that's obvious as far as how to treat.

She is very beautiful...

I'm also curious what her X-rays reveal about the bone structure. I'm curious if it's a growth deformity that is continuing as she grows (because there is mention that it is getting worse over time?) and if is bothering her enough to self-inflict the wounds? Or I'm wondering if it's an injury that is not healing correctly.

There is a lot that can be done for horses with leg ailments, riught down to prosthesis. It really depends on your budget and how far you are willing to go for the horse.

She is very beautiful...

I'm also curious what her X-rays reveal about the bone structure. I'm curious if it's a growth deformity that is continuing as she grows (because there is mention that it is getting worse over time?) and if is bothering her enough to self-inflict the wounds? Or I'm wondering if it's an injury that is not healing correctly.

There is a lot that can be done for horses with leg ailments, riught down to prosthesis. It really depends on your budget and how far you are willing to go for the horse.

quote:

Originally posted by fhchik06:

[/QB]

I am aware that she said the vet didn't know what it was. Was this horse x-rayed? Did the vet do a lameness exam? What TYPE of vet involvement has taken place? Did he just look at it, maybe touch it and say he had no idea?

As for how her feet are growing - if it causes her pain to use that leg and step down with weight then she won't load her foot. If she doesn't load her foot properly, especially over time, her heels will continue to grow and the toe dish. It really won't do any good to work on the feet until you get the rest of the leg stabilized. In fact - it left like she is, I bet you will find that foot starts growing clubby and the opposite front goes flat.

It almost looks to me as though her fetlock has been dislocated. Along with possibly a tendon injury? Torn ligaments? Did she get this leg stuck in something?

quote:

Originally posted by fhchik06:

[/QB]

I am aware that she said the vet didn't know what it was. Was this horse x-rayed? Did the vet do a lameness exam? What TYPE of vet involvement has taken place? Did he just look at it, maybe touch it and say he had no idea?

As for how her feet are growing - if it causes her pain to use that leg and step down with weight then she won't load her foot. If she doesn't load her foot properly, especially over time, her heels will continue to grow and the toe dish. It really won't do any good to work on the feet until you get the rest of the leg stabilized. In fact - it left like she is, I bet you will find that foot starts growing clubby and the opposite front goes flat.

It almost looks to me as though her fetlock has been dislocated. Along with possibly a tendon injury? Torn ligaments? Did she get this leg stuck in something?

Could she have something in there that is causing it to itch? Maybe the wound wasn't cleaned well when it originally happened and the skin has grown around it. Since you're in N CA too what about a trip to Pioneer to see Dr Black? No place is better for legs than there.......

Could she have something in there that is causing it to itch? Maybe the wound wasn't cleaned well when it originally happened and the skin has grown around it. Since you're in N CA too what about a trip to Pioneer to see Dr Black? No place is better for legs than there.......

The vet has not done x-rays yet. I thought he would have, since by how she walks on it, it has a pop, and we thought she may have broken something, but he said since she's walking on it and doesn't seem to be in pain he doubted it to be a brake.

The picture I originally posted on here was her a year before we got her, I have another, but it's a bad angle, you can see that she is standing on it weird, but it's not swollen. So I think that has a lot to do with her reinjuring it.

Okay, so, story goes: We head up to get her on the 7th of February, get to the property and the lady says she must have hit that morning on the watervein, okay, we will take care of it, it's incredibly swollen and has a cut. So we have the vet out the next day to give her and Moose their shots, and asked the vet to look at her legs as well. He says it looks like her leg is permenantly flexed, like one of the tendons is pulling and not releasing.

He said he wouls look some things up and get back to us. He said we were taking good care of the wound and should just give her bute to relieve the pain.

So she hurt it again about a week later, all the skin was off the front of her leg, so we had the vet out, he has done no research I guess, as he had no info to share with us. He treated it, told us what to do with cleaning it, gave us antibiotics, and we continue to use bute. She limps slightly always, occasionally it is worse.

It just may be swelling, that is just there because her injuries never really go away. She keeps chewing on it, when I get a scab it itches, I choose not to chew it, but I do itch it, so I'm assuming it's the same with her and she keeps re-opening it. So we started wrapping it yesterday.

We hose it down daily with cold water, to reduce the swelling, we bute her, give her antibiotics, put on a wrap, and spend time grooming her and getting her used to us. We also put her in the arena to let her run around with Moose, and she likes to kick up her heels a bit.

It doesn't seem to bother her, I mean, I'm sure it's a nuisance, but she doesn't seem to be in much pain, but that may be the bute.

She does need her feet done, but she wont let you touch that foot without taking it slow, and I don't think a farrier wants to deal with that. We don't want to put stress on her, by making her stand on that leg while she is getting the other foreleg done, and want to wait until it heals a bit before her and Moose get their feet done. Moose is due the first week of March, and we figure to do them both at the same time.

I'm not sure if I covered everything, but that's all I can think of for right now.

I'm currently emailing different Vet schools (Davis, and one the previous owner suggested), and doing my own research. That's why I posted on here, I figure with the amount of people on here, someone was bound to have seen this before.

For all I know, it could just be swollen, and once it's releived go away. We are taking the best care of her we can, she is very cheery, loves attention, likes her grain and eats her medicine. We have spent $400 on vet bills since we've had her, we got her the 7th. I don't think that the bills will stop coming any time soon, but that's okay, we will deal with it. We are expecting x-rays and possibly surgery. Whatever it takes, we will do, I just want to know what it takes.

The vet has not done x-rays yet. I thought he would have, since by how she walks on it, it has a pop, and we thought she may have broken something, but he said since she's walking on it and doesn't seem to be in pain he doubted it to be a brake.

The picture I originally posted on here was her a year before we got her, I have another, but it's a bad angle, you can see that she is standing on it weird, but it's not swollen. So I think that has a lot to do with her reinjuring it.

Okay, so, story goes: We head up to get her on the 7th of February, get to the property and the lady says she must have hit that morning on the watervein, okay, we will take care of it, it's incredibly swollen and has a cut. So we have the vet out the next day to give her and Moose their shots, and asked the vet to look at her legs as well. He says it looks like her leg is permenantly flexed, like one of the tendons is pulling and not releasing.

He said he wouls look some things up and get back to us. He said we were taking good care of the wound and should just give her bute to relieve the pain.

So she hurt it again about a week later, all the skin was off the front of her leg, so we had the vet out, he has done no research I guess, as he had no info to share with us. He treated it, told us what to do with cleaning it, gave us antibiotics, and we continue to use bute. She limps slightly always, occasionally it is worse.

It just may be swelling, that is just there because her injuries never really go away. She keeps chewing on it, when I get a scab it itches, I choose not to chew it, but I do itch it, so I'm assuming it's the same with her and she keeps re-opening it. So we started wrapping it yesterday.

We hose it down daily with cold water, to reduce the swelling, we bute her, give her antibiotics, put on a wrap, and spend time grooming her and getting her used to us. We also put her in the arena to let her run around with Moose, and she likes to kick up her heels a bit.

It doesn't seem to bother her, I mean, I'm sure it's a nuisance, but she doesn't seem to be in much pain, but that may be the bute.

She does need her feet done, but she wont let you touch that foot without taking it slow, and I don't think a farrier wants to deal with that. We don't want to put stress on her, by making her stand on that leg while she is getting the other foreleg done, and want to wait until it heals a bit before her and Moose get their feet done. Moose is due the first week of March, and we figure to do them both at the same time.

I'm not sure if I covered everything, but that's all I can think of for right now.

I'm currently emailing different Vet schools (Davis, and one the previous owner suggested), and doing my own research. That's why I posted on here, I figure with the amount of people on here, someone was bound to have seen this before.

For all I know, it could just be swollen, and once it's releived go away. We are taking the best care of her we can, she is very cheery, loves attention, likes her grain and eats her medicine. We have spent $400 on vet bills since we've had her, we got her the 7th. I don't think that the bills will stop coming any time soon, but that's okay, we will deal with it. We are expecting x-rays and possibly surgery. Whatever it takes, we will do, I just want to know what it takes.