Sign in to follow this  
ixnayfoo

What is this? Vet #3, pg 5

I didn't pawn it off on him, I feel like a coward by how yall are treating me. We are not just letting her sit around and rot, we spend three to four hours a day down there doing what the vet said.

It's a dinky scoop, there's no info really on the container so I don't know exactly, it's like half a teaspoon if not less.

We had a different vet out today because it looked bad when we unwrapped it, and we wanted that second opinion. And he told us pretty much the same as the last vet. That the positioning of the leg has nothing to do with the wound. He wrapped it, sprayed this aluminum stuff on it that he sprayed on my other horses ear when she ripped it open a year ago, and gave us Banamine and said it's going to be a long road to recovery, and that we've done a good job with her so far.

As for the odd leg position he also says it's not broken, he suggested putting a shoe on it, I don't know exactly what kind, but one that puts her leg in normal position. I wasn't there the last half the vet was there, but this is what the boyfriend relayed back to me. But basically it doesn't effect her, it's not causing her any pain, just the wound is.

So we are going to continue wrapping it, giving her antibiotics, switch to banamine instead of bute, and she will always be a pasture pet as she will never be conformationally correct enough to ride.

I didn't pawn it off on him, I feel like a coward by how yall are treating me. We are not just letting her sit around and rot, we spend three to four hours a day down there doing what the vet said.

It's a dinky scoop, there's no info really on the container so I don't know exactly, it's like half a teaspoon if not less.

We had a different vet out today because it looked bad when we unwrapped it, and we wanted that second opinion. And he told us pretty much the same as the last vet. That the positioning of the leg has nothing to do with the wound. He wrapped it, sprayed this aluminum stuff on it that he sprayed on my other horses ear when she ripped it open a year ago, and gave us Banamine and said it's going to be a long road to recovery, and that we've done a good job with her so far.

As for the odd leg position he also says it's not broken, he suggested putting a shoe on it, I don't know exactly what kind, but one that puts her leg in normal position. I wasn't there the last half the vet was there, but this is what the boyfriend relayed back to me. But basically it doesn't effect her, it's not causing her any pain, just the wound is.

So we are going to continue wrapping it, giving her antibiotics, switch to banamine instead of bute, and she will always be a pasture pet as she will never be conformationally correct enough to ride.

Oh and I took pictures from today but had forgotten the digital camera, so I have to wait until tomorrow to get them developed and put onto disk. But I will post them as soon as I get a chance. And please don't consider us to be lazy or be working half *** at maintaining this horse, our lives since we've gotten her have basically revolved around her care, we had to switch shifts at both our jobs and work around our college schedules. We also have a third vet coming out on Monday to evaluate her and give us her opinion (she's the one that's the teacher at the college). We have only had her three weeks, and we're still adapting to all the drama, as my four girls and his other girl have never really been this injured (except for Cloe ripping the ear off).

So I'm not trying to get pity, I don't need it, I just want you to understand we are doing our best, and she is getting everything she needs. I do appreciate all comments that are constructive and opinions on the conformational deformity of her leg. But we are taking as good of care of her as anybody I believe, and truly don't appreciate the judgement.

I'm rambling now, sorry, but okay, I'll stop, have a good evening.

Oh and I took pictures from today but had forgotten the digital camera, so I have to wait until tomorrow to get them developed and put onto disk. But I will post them as soon as I get a chance. And please don't consider us to be lazy or be working half *** at maintaining this horse, our lives since we've gotten her have basically revolved around her care, we had to switch shifts at both our jobs and work around our college schedules. We also have a third vet coming out on Monday to evaluate her and give us her opinion (she's the one that's the teacher at the college). We have only had her three weeks, and we're still adapting to all the drama, as my four girls and his other girl have never really been this injured (except for Cloe ripping the ear off).

So I'm not trying to get pity, I don't need it, I just want you to understand we are doing our best, and she is getting everything she needs. I do appreciate all comments that are constructive and opinions on the conformational deformity of her leg. But we are taking as good of care of her as anybody I believe, and truly don't appreciate the judgement.

I'm rambling now, sorry, but okay, I'll stop, have a good evening.

From the looks of these pictures, this filly has luxated her fetlock (dislocated). How a competent vet could not "worry" about not doing x-rays in a circumstance like this is beyond me and bordering on malpractice.

Horses do miraculous things such as being able to walk on a deformity like this. If she's going to have any chance at ANY activity under saddle, she will likely need to have the fetlock surgically fused. As things are, you'll be lucky to have a pasture ornament.

From the looks of these pictures, this filly has luxated her fetlock (dislocated). How a competent vet could not "worry" about not doing x-rays in a circumstance like this is beyond me and bordering on malpractice.

Horses do miraculous things such as being able to walk on a deformity like this. If she's going to have any chance at ANY activity under saddle, she will likely need to have the fetlock surgically fused. As things are, you'll be lucky to have a pasture ornament.

please forgive me.. but, did the second "vet" get X-RAYS!!!! how can he say "its not broken"! and not to worry??? I dont understand....... if she were my horse (or my boyfriends) I would handle this much differently than you are.. She would have been up to MSU the MOMENT I noticed it.

I dont understand what you are doing?? really I dont... Why wont you get x-rays? I must be missing something. do you have some sort of weird allergy to x-rays, or something like that?????? maybe you are mentally challenged??? I dont know.... This filly has something more going on than an surface injury!

what I do know is that if you are going to keep doing what you are doing, you might as well save $$$ and have her put down. She is going to be in pain all her life, if you dont do something to correct this. It might be too late now anyway...

I hate seeing what you have done to this poor, sweet, little, filly, it makes me sick to my stomach....

she is in my prayers....

please forgive me.. but, did the second "vet" get X-RAYS!!!! how can he say "its not broken"! and not to worry??? I dont understand....... if she were my horse (or my boyfriends) I would handle this much differently than you are.. She would have been up to MSU the MOMENT I noticed it.

I dont understand what you are doing?? really I dont... Why wont you get x-rays? I must be missing something. do you have some sort of weird allergy to x-rays, or something like that?????? maybe you are mentally challenged??? I dont know.... This filly has something more going on than an surface injury!

what I do know is that if you are going to keep doing what you are doing, you might as well save $$$ and have her put down. She is going to be in pain all her life, if you dont do something to correct this. It might be too late now anyway...

I hate seeing what you have done to this poor, sweet, little, filly, it makes me sick to my stomach....

she is in my prayers....

Either we are being fed a line of crap here, or your area has the most incompetent vets in the nation! No vet worth his schooling would NOT suggest an ex-ray for this. Even an idiot can see there is more wrong here than can be seen with the naked eye.

Kay, I'll be nice! [Razz]

THANK YOU for taking this horse on and taking good care of her!

She's very lucky to have you.

But I also am surprised that two vets have concluded that x-rays are unnecessary.. It seems obvious from the pictures and responses that they are!! I hope you'll take these posts to heart and DEMAND that the vet x-ray her.

She's a beautiful little horse! Good luck!! [Huggy]

Kay, I'll be nice! [Razz]

THANK YOU for taking this horse on and taking good care of her!

She's very lucky to have you.

But I also am surprised that two vets have concluded that x-rays are unnecessary.. It seems obvious from the pictures and responses that they are!! I hope you'll take these posts to heart and DEMAND that the vet x-ray her.

She's a beautiful little horse! Good luck!! [Huggy]

X-rays for this horse are neccessary.

Your bute regimen, is it for pain or reducing inflamation? I know the two work off each other, but I would be wanting to get off the bute. I would talk to your vet about this. This is my personal opinion, but if you have a horse with a leg or hoof injury, I would not bute it. The bute will hide the symptoms and potentially allow the horse to injure itself further. Pain is the body's response to injury and can be preventative to further damage. I would look into other inflammatory products if that is the reason she is on them.

At this point, surgery is probably going to be required. You can't snuff out the pain forever with drugs. This has to be fixed or you might end up euthanizing her.

It sounds like you are doing great with what you are given, but I would haul this horse somewhere where a true diagnostic assessment can be done. X-rays and all. Other diagnostics, too, might be in order now that it has gotten this far. I would look into how the tendons and ligaments are being affected by this. I don't think that a hoof trim will help her greatly.

If you board this horse, why don't you talk to the BO about getting some better help. If it were my barn, I would personally be searching everywhere and getting all the info and prices that I could in order to help my boarder.

[ 02-25-2006, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Felda5032 ]

X-rays for this horse are neccessary.

Your bute regimen, is it for pain or reducing inflamation? I know the two work off each other, but I would be wanting to get off the bute. I would talk to your vet about this. This is my personal opinion, but if you have a horse with a leg or hoof injury, I would not bute it. The bute will hide the symptoms and potentially allow the horse to injure itself further. Pain is the body's response to injury and can be preventative to further damage. I would look into other inflammatory products if that is the reason she is on them.

At this point, surgery is probably going to be required. You can't snuff out the pain forever with drugs. This has to be fixed or you might end up euthanizing her.

It sounds like you are doing great with what you are given, but I would haul this horse somewhere where a true diagnostic assessment can be done. X-rays and all. Other diagnostics, too, might be in order now that it has gotten this far. I would look into how the tendons and ligaments are being affected by this. I don't think that a hoof trim will help her greatly.

If you board this horse, why don't you talk to the BO about getting some better help. If it were my barn, I would personally be searching everywhere and getting all the info and prices that I could in order to help my boarder.

[ 02-25-2006, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Felda5032 ]

First off, good for you for trying to take care of her, but honestly she needs more than just antibiotics and bandages. She REALLY needs to have some x-rays done, now! I can't believe two vets looking at her wouldn't suggest getting them. If I were you, I would have hauled her to the University of TN vet clinic days ago. Good luck with her, it would be sad to see such a beautiful girl be crippled like that for the rest of her life.

First off, good for you for trying to take care of her, but honestly she needs more than just antibiotics and bandages. She REALLY needs to have some x-rays done, now! I can't believe two vets looking at her wouldn't suggest getting them. If I were you, I would have hauled her to the University of TN vet clinic days ago. Good luck with her, it would be sad to see such a beautiful girl be crippled like that for the rest of her life.

quote:

Originally posted by MudnSnw:

We had a different vet out today because it looked bad when we unwrapped it, and we wanted that second opinion. And he told us pretty much the same as the last vet. That the positioning of the leg has nothing to do with the wound.

As for the odd leg position he also says it's not broken, he suggested putting a shoe on it, I don't know exactly what kind, but one that puts her leg in normal position.

and she will always be a pasture pet as she will never be conformationally correct enough to ride.[/QB]

The longer this post goes on the more outraged

I get!

You need to worry more about the malformed leg than the wounds my dear!

Those wounds look quite minor to me,the leg however does not.

A SHOE to fix a leg like that? You have GOT to be kidding!!!!!

And you will never know if she could be conformationally correct because

you are not willing to do what it takes.

Shame on you and whoever it is pretending to be a vet thats treating this horse.

You all have given up on this horses leg without

even knowing what the problem is!

How many people have to suggest x-rays before you

get it through your head???

Or are we just wasting our time and hurting our

hearts. [Me Cry]

quote:

We had a different vet out today because it looked bad when we unwrapped it, and we wanted that second opinion. And he told us pretty much the same as the last vet. That the positioning of the leg has nothing to do with the wound.

As for the odd leg position he also says it's not broken, he suggested putting a shoe on it, I don't know exactly what kind, but one that puts her leg in normal position.

and she will always be a pasture pet as she will never be conformationally correct enough to ride.[/QB]

The longer this post goes on the more outraged

I get!

You need to worry more about the malformed leg than the wounds my dear!

Those wounds look quite minor to me,the leg however does not.

A SHOE to fix a leg like that? You have GOT to be kidding!!!!!

And you will never know if she could be conformationally correct because

you are not willing to do what it takes.

Shame on you and whoever it is pretending to be a vet thats treating this horse.

You all have given up on this horses leg without

even knowing what the problem is!

How many people have to suggest x-rays before you

get it through your head???

Or are we just wasting our time and hurting our

hearts. [Me Cry]

We are willing to do what it takes, we have financial backing on her to get her 'fixed'. I'm again not liking the comments 'I hate seeing what you have done to this poor, sweet, little, filly, it makes me sick to my stomach....' since I'm not torturing her, nor am I the one who did this. We have had two vets out, both have said the same thing. We have another one out who's one of the best in the county, we wanted her to come out yesterday but she had to many calls and said she can't make it out until Monday.

Again we will suggest x-rays, and hopefully this vet will find them necessary.

I don't know why the vets haven't done them yet, the first one said maybe, the second said he didn't think it was an issue. We will get them next week though, as we will push for it.

And yes the wound is bad, I don't have the pictures for it, I know it's not as bad as the position of the leg, but it does need concern.

She is on stall rest, we will be getting x-rays, I don't know why the medication (i.e bute and banamine), as I wasn't there for that part of the vet visit, and the boyfriend is very poor at relaying messages so I have to ask a friend that observed it when I get to the barn after work this evening.

I guess I shouldn't have said I'm not looking for pity, cause that's not what I meant. I'm looking for support, not hatred soaked messages. I am doing the best I can, so is Jordan, we are dealing with what we've been given to the best of our abilities as I've stated before.

I don't like where this post has been going, as I need support on this and opinions that will help, not the ones that some have been posting. If you don't like hearing about her, don't read the post. I want her better as much as everybody else, more than everybody else.

I'm not sitting her feeding you all a bunch of well canterberries, but I am replying to every post, I'm not running and hiding like I've seen a lot of people do when they're posts turn ugly.

I don't care for the comments made that aren't helping, I care for the ones that are, suggesting things, offering support (which are rarely given), asking questions, etc.

I will continue to update this as things go on, I just hope that you all can bare with my stupidness of being a horse owner, of my non-caring approach to horses, and how poorly I care for my horses. Since that's how some of you view me.

I know I don't know everything which is why I posted this and continue to post on this. So try and help please.

We are willing to do what it takes, we have financial backing on her to get her 'fixed'. I'm again not liking the comments 'I hate seeing what you have done to this poor, sweet, little, filly, it makes me sick to my stomach....' since I'm not torturing her, nor am I the one who did this. We have had two vets out, both have said the same thing. We have another one out who's one of the best in the county, we wanted her to come out yesterday but she had to many calls and said she can't make it out until Monday.

I don't know why the vets haven't done them yet, the first one said maybe, the second said he didn't think it was an issue. We will get them next week though, as we will push for it.

And yes the wound is bad, I don't have the pictures for it, I know it's not as bad as the position of the leg, but it does need concern.

She is on stall rest, we will be getting x-rays, I don't know why the medication (i.e bute and banamine), as I wasn't there for that part of the vet visit, and the boyfriend is very poor at relaying messages so I have to ask a friend that observed it when I get to the barn after work this evening.

I guess I shouldn't have said I'm not looking for pity, cause that's not what I meant. I'm looking for support, not hatred soaked messages. I am doing the best I can, so is Jordan, we are dealing with what we've been given to the best of our abilities as I've stated before.

I don't like where this post has been going, as I need support on this and opinions that will help, not the ones that some have been posting. If you don't like hearing about her, don't read the post. I want her better as much as everybody else, more than everybody else.

I'm not sitting her feeding you all a bunch of well canterberries, but I am replying to every post, I'm not running and hiding like I've seen a lot of people do when they're posts turn ugly.

I don't care for the comments made that aren't helping, I care for the ones that are, suggesting things, offering support (which are rarely given), asking questions, etc.

I will continue to update this as things go on, I just hope that you all can bare with my stupidness of being a horse owner, of my non-caring approach to horses, and how poorly I care for my horses. Since that's how some of you view me.

I know I don't know everything which is why I posted this and continue to post on this. So try and help please.

quote:

You don't have to suggest X-rays in most cases. My friend had a horse that was lame and we could not figure it the cause. The vet and farrier said nothing about X-rays. I called a clinic and spoke with them about the situation and made an appointment to take the horse the next week. No questions asked. When we got there, a clinic vet explained what he saw on the radiographs. She paid her bill. I think the bill was about $400.

I think everyones frustration is that you don't seem to be

taking anyone's advice, which as all been pretty much the same, X-RAYS!

Even cvm said it.

Of course people are going to get upset when they give their advice and it is brushed off.

Nobody has been hateful, just very concerned that the filly is not getting the attention to the leg that she needs.

Mainly your vets faults, not yours.

But when so many people are saying the same thing(x-rays)

don't you think they might be in order?

Don't wait for the vet to suggest them,

ask that they be done.

You control what can be done, not the other way around.

We are all just concerned horse lovers trying to help.

quote:

You don't have to suggest X-rays in most cases. My friend had a horse that was lame and we could not figure it the cause. The vet and farrier said nothing about X-rays. I called a clinic and spoke with them about the situation and made an appointment to take the horse the next week. No questions asked. When we got there, a clinic vet explained what he saw on the radiographs. She paid her bill. I think the bill was about $400.

I think everyones frustration is that you don't seem to be

taking anyone's advice, which as all been pretty much the same, X-RAYS!

Even cvm said it.

Of course people are going to get upset when they give their advice and it is brushed off.

Nobody has been hateful, just very concerned that the filly is not getting the attention to the leg that she needs.

Mainly your vets faults, not yours.

But when so many people are saying the same thing(x-rays)

don't you think they might be in order?

Don't wait for the vet to suggest them,

ask that they be done.

You control what can be done, not the other way around.

We are all just concerned horse lovers trying to help.

I don't mind getting the x-rays, I have no problem with it, nor does Jordan, but when the first vet blew them off it made me think it's not necessary. I'm trying to take everyones advice, I just get derailed when the vet says it's not necessary, when both vets say that. We have to call and reschedule the 3rd vet for a different time on Monday, I'm going to make sure she brings the x-ray machine, I just am getting frustrated because the two vets we have had have both said she didn't need them, that her wound was the main concern.

I don't mind getting the x-rays, I have no problem with it, nor does Jordan, but when the first vet blew them off it made me think it's not necessary. I'm trying to take everyones advice, I just get derailed when the vet says it's not necessary, when both vets say that. We have to call and reschedule the 3rd vet for a different time on Monday, I'm going to make sure she brings the x-ray machine, I just am getting frustrated because the two vets we have had have both said she didn't need them, that her wound was the main concern.

Good for you for getting the x-rays. Don't forget that even doctors can be wrong, always go with your instincts.

2 of them in a row though does sound suspicious. I, for one, just can't figure it out.

Just how bad are the wounds? Could they be masking the leg deformity a little bit?

I don't know, I'm just so puzzled over this.

I'm sorry if I ever came off too harsh,

I just want to see her have a chance at being somewhat sound and comfortable.

I never meant that you were a poor horse owner,

you seem to be far from it,

but those vets of yours on the other hand.....

[Confused]

Good for you for getting the x-rays. Don't forget that even doctors can be wrong, always go with your instincts.

2 of them in a row though does sound suspicious. I, for one, just can't figure it out.

Just how bad are the wounds? Could they be masking the leg deformity a little bit?

I don't know, I'm just so puzzled over this.

I'm sorry if I ever came off too harsh,

I just want to see her have a chance at being somewhat sound and comfortable.

I never meant that you were a poor horse owner,

you seem to be far from it,

but those vets of yours on the other hand.....

[Confused]

Did the fetlock look like that when you got her or did it happen afterwards? I know she didn't look like that as a yearling, did you let both vets know that it's not just a conformation problem, that it was some sort of injury or accident?

Did the fetlock look like that when you got her or did it happen afterwards? I know she didn't look like that as a yearling, did you let both vets know that it's not just a conformation problem, that it was some sort of injury or accident?

Her leg looked like that when we got her, but she had hurt it that morning. So it could have been from that it could have been prior, we don't really know as the previous owner is very vague.

It is very swollen from the wound she has, which I can put pictures of when I get home tonight. So I think the deformity looks a lot worse because it is so swollen. I am heading out to grain her and give her the antibiotics and banamine (which the vet gave for the wound), and when I get home I will scan the pictures and upload them onto here.