Sign in to follow this  
zao

Sand.

Ok - Let me start off by saying that my mare was on in a pasture that was nothing but sand for around three months.. She got plenty of hay, looked good, and was on grain. Never had any colic problems or anything. Now we've switched her over to a place that has 7 acres of really nice grass with one other horse, and its just them.. They are stalled during the day, out at night to preserve coats..There isn't any sand in the new pasture. What I want to know is.. even though I never saw her really getting into the sand, I know there is a chance that she could have a bit in her. A mare that was from the same place recently coliced and they found out it was from a huge amount of sand in her. What's the best way to go about clearing out my mares system to make sure she doesn't have any left? Thanks guys! [Crazy][Huggy]

Ok - Let me start off by saying that my mare was on in a pasture that was nothing but sand for around three months.. She got plenty of hay, looked good, and was on grain. Never had any colic problems or anything. Now we've switched her over to a place that has 7 acres of really nice grass with one other horse, and its just them.. They are stalled during the day, out at night to preserve coats..There isn't any sand in the new pasture. What I want to know is.. even though I never saw her really getting into the sand, I know there is a chance that she could have a bit in her. A mare that was from the same place recently coliced and they found out it was from a huge amount of sand in her. What's the best way to go about clearing out my mares system to make sure she doesn't have any left? Thanks guys! [Crazy][Huggy]

Unfortunately, there ISN'T a good way of getting sand out of the colon aside from surgically removing it.

The use of psyllium products such as SandClear or Metamucil will help, but really remove minimal amounts at best. The best thing you can do is PREVENT sand ingestion, which in many parts of the country is simply easier said than done.

[ 03-12-2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: cvm2002 ]

Unfortunately, there ISN'T a good way of getting sand out of the colon aside from surgically removing it.

The use of psyllium products such as SandClear or Metamucil will help, but really remove minimal amounts at best. The best thing you can do is PREVENT sand ingestion, which in many parts of the country is simply easier said than done.

[ 03-12-2006, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: cvm2002 ]

I would talk with your vet about the BEST way but we had really good results with slow and steady psyllium supplement. We live on nothing but sand/dirt/etc. We very rairly have any kind of grass and so have to be very careful about sand colic.

Hope it helps.

I would talk with your vet about the BEST way but we had really good results with slow and steady psyllium supplement. We live on nothing but sand/dirt/etc. We very rairly have any kind of grass and so have to be very careful about sand colic.

Hope it helps.

No matter what type of feed or pasture your horse has, he will pick up sand. Horses eat off the ground, they eat sand along with what they are eating. They graze in nice pasutres, they still pick up sand from the blades of grass.

SandClear will help keep sand down but wont get rid if it completetly. Some horses have a great tolorance for sand in the gut while others will start to colic or get diarrhea when there is little sand in the gut. I have treated and delt with sand in the gut for 10 years because I have no pasture whatsoever to speak of. I give sandclear every month for seven days and if there is any sign of lose manure, they get treated for 14 days. I havent have not had any serious problems since I put them all on sandclear. They are on this from the time the snow melts until the ground is covered in snow. You can take manure from the top of the pile(dont use the ones that touch the ground) and put them in a glass jar full of water. Wait until the manure is dissovled and what sand is in it will sink to the bottom of the jar. This will give you an idea if your horse has sand in the gut.

Some horses with sand in the gut being treated the first time with sandclear will get the runs or severe diarrhea because of an overload of sand.

Psyllium(in sandclear) is known to sink to the bottom of the stomach and form a jell around the sand particles and push them out. This "unblocking" of the sand is what causes the runs and diarrhea. If this happens, you will have to watch for dehydration and sometimes have to give pepto to control the diarrhea.

If you are concerned about the amount of sand in the gut, you can always ask your vet to check when he/she does your yearly exam. They can listen to the gut and if they hear what sounds like a "sea shell" like when you put one to your ear-there is sand in the gut.

No matter what type of feed or pasture your horse has, he will pick up sand. Horses eat off the ground, they eat sand along with what they are eating. They graze in nice pasutres, they still pick up sand from the blades of grass.

SandClear will help keep sand down but wont get rid if it completetly. Some horses have a great tolorance for sand in the gut while others will start to colic or get diarrhea when there is little sand in the gut. I have treated and delt with sand in the gut for 10 years because I have no pasture whatsoever to speak of. I give sandclear every month for seven days and if there is any sign of lose manure, they get treated for 14 days. I havent have not had any serious problems since I put them all on sandclear. They are on this from the time the snow melts until the ground is covered in snow. You can take manure from the top of the pile(dont use the ones that touch the ground) and put them in a glass jar full of water. Wait until the manure is dissovled and what sand is in it will sink to the bottom of the jar. This will give you an idea if your horse has sand in the gut.

Some horses with sand in the gut being treated the first time with sandclear will get the runs or severe diarrhea because of an overload of sand.

Psyllium(in sandclear) is known to sink to the bottom of the stomach and form a jell around the sand particles and push them out. This "unblocking" of the sand is what causes the runs and diarrhea. If this happens, you will have to watch for dehydration and sometimes have to give pepto to control the diarrhea.

If you are concerned about the amount of sand in the gut, you can always ask your vet to check when he/she does your yearly exam. They can listen to the gut and if they hear what sounds like a "sea shell" like when you put one to your ear-there is sand in the gut.

Thank you all.. Fancy has a pretty tough gut, she's never coliced before, and I've had her for almost 7 years.. Is there any way I could purchase Sandclear online? My vet is coming out this week for her shots, so I'll see what he says, and if he think she needs it I'll get some.. Just gotta know from where.

Edited for spelling.

[ 03-12-2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: zao ]

Thank you all.. Fancy has a pretty tough gut, she's never coliced before, and I've had her for almost 7 years.. Is there any way I could purchase Sandclear online? My vet is coming out this week for her shots, so I'll see what he says, and if he think she needs it I'll get some.. Just gotta know from where.

Edited for spelling.

[ 03-12-2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: zao ]

When your vet comes out ask him / her about using generic Metamucil. You can buy it real cheap at Wal-Mart. This is the same ingredient(psyllium)that they use in the expensive equine sand products.It will save you a ton and it is the same product.

When your vet comes out ask him / her about using generic Metamucil. You can buy it real cheap at Wal-Mart. This is the same ingredient(psyllium)that they use in the expensive equine sand products.It will save you a ton and it is the same product.