Sign in to follow this  
zao

Mare acting a bit off?

Mornin' guys [smiley Wavey] ,

I just have a few questions to ask. Lately, my mare has been acting..well, a little different than she normally does. I think it has something to do with her heat cycle and the weather. One day its like, a high of 92 here, with a low of 75, and then the next we've got a low of 34 with a high of 60 something... My mare seems a little touchy around her flank and stifle area.. Shes a bit moody, and witchy as if she was in season, but I think its a silent heat.. My trainer said sometimes when the weather like that it can upset their cycle a bit and they'll sometimes not feel well, or become moody. She's a nine year old quarter horse, any ideas? Or anymore information you could give me? [Question]

Mornin' guys [smiley Wavey] ,

I just have a few questions to ask. Lately, my mare has been acting..well, a little different than she normally does. I think it has something to do with her heat cycle and the weather. One day its like, a high of 92 here, with a low of 75, and then the next we've got a low of 34 with a high of 60 something... My mare seems a little touchy around her flank and stifle area.. Shes a bit moody, and witchy as if she was in season, but I think its a silent heat.. My trainer said sometimes when the weather like that it can upset their cycle a bit and they'll sometimes not feel well, or become moody. She's a nine year old quarter horse, any ideas? Or anymore information you could give me? [Question]

About 2 weeks ago our ranch errupted with the first heat of the season. We only have a couple of open mares now, but the difference was pretty interesting. One, was typical in her cycle. She isn't nice to be around, but isn't the most horrible maiden either. The other went into raging heat and had soreness and even loose stool for days. The third was actually pretty silent. Each mare is different, and I have found that each act different at the first cycle of the year verses the other cycles. Soreness in the flank can hinder their riding and temperment. Just give her time to finish her cycle and she will be back to herself.

About 2 weeks ago our ranch errupted with the first heat of the season. We only have a couple of open mares now, but the difference was pretty interesting. One, was typical in her cycle. She isn't nice to be around, but isn't the most horrible maiden either. The other went into raging heat and had soreness and even loose stool for days. The third was actually pretty silent. Each mare is different, and I have found that each act different at the first cycle of the year verses the other cycles. Soreness in the flank can hinder their riding and temperment. Just give her time to finish her cycle and she will be back to herself.

Yeah, since she's been sore around that area I've mostly been barebacking it, and working on light stuff. Thankyou for your info.

Edited to add:

Does anyone else have any experience or knowledge they'd like to share?

Edited a second time to add:

She has had one foal before, Who's nearing the age of three. I own her as well, but she hasn't come in yet, and if she has it's been silent and I haven't been able to tell. If that helps any, so she's not a maiden.

[Huggy] Thanks guys.

[ 03-19-2006, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: zao ]

Yeah, since she's been sore around that area I've mostly been barebacking it, and working on light stuff. Thankyou for your info.

Edited to add:

Does anyone else have any experience or knowledge they'd like to share?

Edited a second time to add:

She has had one foal before, Who's nearing the age of three. I own her as well, but she hasn't come in yet, and if she has it's been silent and I haven't been able to tell. If that helps any, so she's not a maiden.

[Huggy] Thanks guys.

[ 03-19-2006, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: zao ]

Zao, about a week ago I asked CVM about what the first estrous of spring would look like, as my 8 yr-old mare was exhibitting some weird, almost colic-like symptoms.

She only had them for a short while though, not days, so it may have been a brief colic.

She was sweating, she was stretching like she was bowing down, she seemed very uncomfortable but in all that, she had normal gut sounds and was 'winking' a lot.

CVM thought it could have been an uncomfortable cycle OR colic, but without a palpation or other exam I will never know for sure.

Any of this sound familiar??

Zao, about a week ago I asked CVM about what the first estrous of spring would look like, as my 8 yr-old mare was exhibitting some weird, almost colic-like symptoms.

She only had them for a short while though, not days, so it may have been a brief colic.

She was sweating, she was stretching like she was bowing down, she seemed very uncomfortable but in all that, she had normal gut sounds and was 'winking' a lot.

CVM thought it could have been an uncomfortable cycle OR colic, but without a palpation or other exam I will never know for sure.

Any of this sound familiar??

I'm just worried because she hasn't really been showing that many signs that shes going through her cycle.. No winking.. She hasn't been talking much to the other horses, although thats pretty normal for her, usually when she goes through he cycle she's very um, talkative. I'm just wondering if she could've been going through a silent heat. It was odd, her flank area was sunken in, and rather strange looking. For some reason I think I remember seeing this when I was in florida with her, but then it just went away.. And she was very touchy around that area, it doesn't seem to be as bad this morning though and she doesn't seem to care as much when I touch it?

Edited to add: When I had my mom look at it, she said Fancy looked normal and didn't really see anything wrong.. And that I was just over reacting(which I tend to do alot with Fancy, I'm always worreid somethings going to happen, or that shes not feeling well.. Typical horse lover [Crazy] . But she said she didn't think anything looked off.. So maybe I was just a bit out of it.. I'm just not used to her being so sensitive around that area, but maybe it was just an odd cycle.

[ 03-21-2006, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: zao ]

I'm just worried because she hasn't really been showing that many signs that shes going through her cycle.. No winking.. She hasn't been talking much to the other horses, although thats pretty normal for her, usually when she goes through he cycle she's very um, talkative. I'm just wondering if she could've been going through a silent heat. It was odd, her flank area was sunken in, and rather strange looking. For some reason I think I remember seeing this when I was in florida with her, but then it just went away.. And she was very touchy around that area, it doesn't seem to be as bad this morning though and she doesn't seem to care as much when I touch it?

Edited to add: When I had my mom look at it, she said Fancy looked normal and didn't really see anything wrong.. And that I was just over reacting(which I tend to do alot with Fancy, I'm always worreid somethings going to happen, or that shes not feeling well.. Typical horse lover [Crazy] . But she said she didn't think anything looked off.. So maybe I was just a bit out of it.. I'm just not used to her being so sensitive around that area, but maybe it was just an odd cycle.

[ 03-21-2006, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: zao ]