Sign in to follow this  
theblue0utlaw

14 day old foal with bad diarrhea

My two week old colt has projectile diarrhea. Today is his first day with it. He is still drinking mom's milk good. Mom is in a stall from 6pm until 7am every night and sometimes from 12pm until 7am if I have to work that day. (As I don't want to risk the foal getting out/hurt while I am away.. and chances are higher if he isn't in his stall.) Mom gets 1/2 can of Stadegy morning and night and 4 flakes of hay morning and night.

What to do for the foal? I don't want him to get weak and lose weight or get unhealthy. I want to nip this diarrhea in the butt (no pun intended [Wink] ) if I can to keep him from going downhill. Also, what to do for the mare?

Forgot to add: I have a call in to the vets, they were both busy. So I called the stallion's owner and he suggested calling the vet. So I called the vet back, they were still busy. I have a message in for them to call me when they get a chance. BUT.. I, of course, want to hear what all the lovely HC people have to say about this.

Thanks!

<3

[ 04-11-2006, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: theblue0utlaw ]

My two week old colt has projectile diarrhea. Today is his first day with it. He is still drinking mom's milk good. Mom is in a stall from 6pm until 7am every night and sometimes from 12pm until 7am if I have to work that day. (As I don't want to risk the foal getting out/hurt while I am away.. and chances are higher if he isn't in his stall.) Mom gets 1/2 can of Stadegy morning and night and 4 flakes of hay morning and night.

What to do for the foal? I don't want him to get weak and lose weight or get unhealthy. I want to nip this diarrhea in the butt (no pun intended [Wink] ) if I can to keep him from going downhill. Also, what to do for the mare?

Forgot to add: I have a call in to the vets, they were both busy. So I called the stallion's owner and he suggested calling the vet. So I called the vet back, they were still busy. I have a message in for them to call me when they get a chance. BUT.. I, of course, want to hear what all the lovely HC people have to say about this.

Thanks!

<3

[ 04-11-2006, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: theblue0utlaw ]

Pepto Bismo works for that. It is not that uncommon at all. It could be the mares first heat since giving birth and this causes the diarehea. Not exactly sure why but it is common. I have always used Pepto 2 or 3 times a day for a few days.

Pepto Bismo works for that. It is not that uncommon at all. It could be the mares first heat since giving birth and this causes the diarehea. Not exactly sure why but it is common. I have always used Pepto 2 or 3 times a day for a few days.

I agree with the Pepto Bismal. We gave a fairly large amount (25cc's?) 2 or 3 times a day. We put it in a syringe and squirted it into the colts mouth. There was pink everywhere! It worked so it was worth the mess. We had one that really liked it and he would suck it right out of the syringe. Had to make sure we hung on to it when we were treating him. Good luck!

I agree with the Pepto Bismal. We gave a fairly large amount (25cc's?) 2 or 3 times a day. We put it in a syringe and squirted it into the colts mouth. There was pink everywhere! It worked so it was worth the mess. We had one that really liked it and he would suck it right out of the syringe. Had to make sure we hung on to it when we were treating him. Good luck!

See response in the Foal Cam thread. At 14 days of age, the mare's foal heat should be long over by now.

[ 04-11-2006, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: cvm2002 ]

See response in the Foal Cam thread. At 14 days of age, the mare's foal heat should be long over by now.

[ 04-11-2006, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: cvm2002 ]

Have you taken this foal's temp? Serious diarrhea with a temperature is not going to make him lose weight -- It is going to make him die. Serious diarrhea will dehydrate a foal so fast, he will die quickly from the complications. I'm not talking about a messy butt. I'm talking about watery liquid stool (with or without blood) in a foal with a temperature. It is a sign of a serious infection and babies go downhill in hours. Call a vet immediately if this foal has a temperature of 103 or above. It needs IV fluids. If it does not have a high temp, be sure you give it electrolites with the Pepto or Kaopectate. You can check for dehydration by pinching the skin on its neck. If the pinch of skin stands up there and dos not bouce right back, it is dehydrated.

Have you taken this foal's temp? Serious diarrhea with a temperature is not going to make him lose weight -- It is going to make him die. Serious diarrhea will dehydrate a foal so fast, he will die quickly from the complications. I'm not talking about a messy butt. I'm talking about watery liquid stool (with or without blood) in a foal with a temperature. It is a sign of a serious infection and babies go downhill in hours. Call a vet immediately if this foal has a temperature of 103 or above. It needs IV fluids. If it does not have a high temp, be sure you give it electrolites with the Pepto or Kaopectate. You can check for dehydration by pinching the skin on its neck. If the pinch of skin stands up there and dos not bouce right back, it is dehydrated.

Thank you three for your answers! I really appreciate it. It seems I'm always on this thread asking about one of my horses or the other.

He was definitely still fiesty tonight when I messed with him (around 5:30). Didn't seem dehydrated really, though I didn't check his skin. I didn't know they could die so quickly from this. I've heard so many foals get this and pepto works wonders. That's all they have needed. But, I mean, this foal has had good solid poop every single day except today. It was literally shooting out a foot from his hind end.

I'm heading out to check his temp as soon as I get off here and find the thermometer. Plus, give him more pepto.

Again, many thanks!

<3

Thank you three for your answers! I really appreciate it. It seems I'm always on this thread asking about one of my horses or the other.

He was definitely still fiesty tonight when I messed with him (around 5:30). Didn't seem dehydrated really, though I didn't check his skin. I didn't know they could die so quickly from this. I've heard so many foals get this and pepto works wonders. That's all they have needed. But, I mean, this foal has had good solid poop every single day except today. It was literally shooting out a foot from his hind end.

I'm heading out to check his temp as soon as I get off here and find the thermometer. Plus, give him more pepto.

Again, many thanks!

<3

The colt just got his second 20 ccs of the pink stuff. I also took his temperature with a digital thermometer and it read 101.2 the first time and 101.1 the second. And, I pinched the skin on his neck to test his hydration levels. I pulled it out about an inch and a half and the skin went back taunt all but about 1/4 an inch of it. Should I be worried about him being dehydrated?

In the morning, his temp will be checked again as well as he'll get more pepto.

Thanks again!

<3

The colt just got his second 20 ccs of the pink stuff. I also took his temperature with a digital thermometer and it read 101.2 the first time and 101.1 the second. And, I pinched the skin on his neck to test his hydration levels. I pulled it out about an inch and a half and the skin went back taunt all but about 1/4 an inch of it. Should I be worried about him being dehydrated?

In the morning, his temp will be checked again as well as he'll get more pepto.

Thanks again!

<3

SER: I asked if one of my three vets would come out. Two didn't want to, or think it was needed, and the third is off this week.

I just got back in from messing with the horses for the morning. The colt has a temperature of 101.3 this time. Not too shabby. I love digital themometers. He also got another 20ccs of pepto. He squirted a little bit of the watery poop out when I first caught him.. but just about a tablespoon full, not near the volume it was yesterday. Then he had a big ball of poop and hay that was extremely hard for him to push out. He had to strain! So, it's gone from dangerously clear and thin, watery and projectile :to: regular colored, a little hard in consistency and big in size.. Now I'm even more worried.

I thought the major worrying was supposed to be over after the mare foaled nice and easily!?!

Input?

<3

SER: I asked if one of my three vets would come out. Two didn't want to, or think it was needed, and the third is off this week.

I just got back in from messing with the horses for the morning. The colt has a temperature of 101.3 this time. Not too shabby. I love digital themometers. He also got another 20ccs of pepto. He squirted a little bit of the watery poop out when I first caught him.. but just about a tablespoon full, not near the volume it was yesterday. Then he had a big ball of poop and hay that was extremely hard for him to push out. He had to strain! So, it's gone from dangerously clear and thin, watery and projectile :to: regular colored, a little hard in consistency and big in size.. Now I'm even more worried.

I thought the major worrying was supposed to be over after the mare foaled nice and easily!?!

Input?

<3

quote:

Originally posted by flossie:

How is he doing? Have you heard from the vet?

[Angel]

Better, I think. But maybe not. Yes, the vet called back. No one wants to come out and see him. If he keeps fluctuating like he has been these past 24 hours, I will be taking him in.

Thanks Floss!

<3

quote:

[Angel]

Better, I think. But maybe not. Yes, the vet called back. No one wants to come out and see him. If he keeps fluctuating like he has been these past 24 hours, I will be taking him in.

Thanks Floss!

<3

Yeah! I would think that is a good idea. Even if it is nothing, you will feel better. Who is going to take care of everybody while your gone? I will be here! [Frown] If you need me to do anything, let me know. [Angel] Flossie

Yeah! I would think that is a good idea. Even if it is nothing, you will feel better. Who is going to take care of everybody while your gone? I will be here! [Frown] If you need me to do anything, let me know. [Angel] Flossie

Sounds like you need to find a new vets office, its not really their choice (well it is and its not) if you say they need to come examine your foal then they should, besides I would not trust a vet that wasnt concerned about a foal with explosive diarrhea like that.

Sounds like you need to find a new vets office, its not really their choice (well it is and its not) if you say they need to come examine your foal then they should, besides I would not trust a vet that wasnt concerned about a foal with explosive diarrhea like that.

quote:

Originally posted by theblue0utlaw:

quote:

[Angel]

Thanks Floss!

<3

Load him up in a trailer and take HIM to the vet.

quote:

Originally posted by theblue0utlaw:

quote:

[Angel]

Thanks Floss!

<3

Load him up in a trailer and take HIM to the vet.