Sign in to follow this  
surfin_bc88

Rattlesnake bite on muzzle (Pg 14 new update)

Hey, how's your guy doing today? Hope no news is good news since it's been awhile since we've heard from you.

We're praying still for POOP and a continuous recovery!! Stay strong, big guy!! We're rootin for yah!!

PLEASE update us as soon as you can!!

[Huggy][Angel][Huggy][Angel][Huggy][Angel]

Hey, how's your guy doing today? Hope no news is good news since it's been awhile since we've heard from you.

We're praying still for POOP and a continuous recovery!! Stay strong, big guy!! We're rootin for yah!!

PLEASE update us as soon as you can!!

[Huggy][Angel][Huggy][Angel][Huggy][Angel]

Hey everyone, sorry it took so long to update, have been out there with him all day... Stayed up all last night again, he pooped once more(yay! [Yay] ).. Swelling in his chest still looks pretty nasty, face seems the same. There are now what looks to be more fang marks on his jaw and lips. I'm starting to wonder if he really did open up a whole nest of snakes or something.. I bleached all the rails in the stall today, and the gate. Bleached every bucket, and then fly sprayed all the rails and the shavings. As much as I brush him, wipe his nose clean, flush his mouth out, and fly spray him, the flies still just eat him up. The vet will be here again today, we'll see if we can inject him in his hind legs, and tube him again. He definitely looks more drawn up today, and has lost more weight, poor boy.

Thanks so much everyone, will update again later after the vet comes..

kate

Hey everyone, sorry it took so long to update, have been out there with him all day... Stayed up all last night again, he pooped once more(yay! [Yay] ).. Swelling in his chest still looks pretty nasty, face seems the same. There are now what looks to be more fang marks on his jaw and lips. I'm starting to wonder if he really did open up a whole nest of snakes or something.. I bleached all the rails in the stall today, and the gate. Bleached every bucket, and then fly sprayed all the rails and the shavings. As much as I brush him, wipe his nose clean, flush his mouth out, and fly spray him, the flies still just eat him up. The vet will be here again today, we'll see if we can inject him in his hind legs, and tube him again. He definitely looks more drawn up today, and has lost more weight, poor boy.

Thanks so much everyone, will update again later after the vet comes..

kate

[Huggy] for you and your horse, what's his name, age, and breed. I hope everything gets better real soon. We don't have rattlesnakes here at least I don't think so in Indiana. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

[Huggy] for you and your horse, what's his name, age, and breed. I hope everything gets better real soon. We don't have rattlesnakes here at least I don't think so in Indiana. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Just found this post. What an incredible guy he must be to have made it this far!

Prayers headed your way.

[Angel]

Just found this post. What an incredible guy he must be to have made it this far!

Prayers headed your way.

[Angel]

HEY ALL! GOOD NEWS!!

The vet just left here, and we're pretty sure that he's going to make it through! He's still pretty sunken in, but the swelling seems to be subsiding a little in his neck. The vet was able to inject him there today on the first try. We also were able to tube him without sedation, he's such a good boy! He said we could actually try to give him some hay and see if he could get it down, because he was biting his bucket today and moving his jaw better. Going to try soaking his pellets and see if he can eat the mush. Also asked him if it would be a good idea to maybe walk him a bit, get him moving around to get his circulation going and displace that swelling and fluid in his chest. He said yes, just wait until it's good and cool later in the evening, and let him move around a little. Asked him about his poor muzzle, what I could put on it, because it's starting to crack with all the pressure of the swelling. We're going to rub some vaseline on it. He also gave me some Surpass anti-inflammatory cream to try on a small area to see if it will bring the swelling down at all. Passed some more manure today, and urinated a couple times. LOOKING GOOD!!!!!

[Yay][Yay][Yay][Yay]

Somebody asked his name/breed..etc?

his name is Possum, he's a registered florida cracker horse(his reg'd name is CJR Fancy Boy). He's about 6 years old, 14 hands high. He LOVES to trail ride, I ride him mostly western, but apparently he also likes to jump, so I take him over some low cross poles/logs here and there.

Hopefully when he pulls through(provided he doesn't founder on top of everything), we'll be back on the trail! I tell ya, this little guy is going to be treated like a king for the rest of his life if he makes it.. I can just hear my dad saying "This horse survived a SNAKE BITE! He's tough as nails!!" lol

Thanks everyone!!

Kate

HEY ALL! GOOD NEWS!!

The vet just left here, and we're pretty sure that he's going to make it through! He's still pretty sunken in, but the swelling seems to be subsiding a little in his neck. The vet was able to inject him there today on the first try. We also were able to tube him without sedation, he's such a good boy! He said we could actually try to give him some hay and see if he could get it down, because he was biting his bucket today and moving his jaw better. Going to try soaking his pellets and see if he can eat the mush. Also asked him if it would be a good idea to maybe walk him a bit, get him moving around to get his circulation going and displace that swelling and fluid in his chest. He said yes, just wait until it's good and cool later in the evening, and let him move around a little. Asked him about his poor muzzle, what I could put on it, because it's starting to crack with all the pressure of the swelling. We're going to rub some vaseline on it. He also gave me some Surpass anti-inflammatory cream to try on a small area to see if it will bring the swelling down at all. Passed some more manure today, and urinated a couple times. LOOKING GOOD!!!!!

[Yay][Yay][Yay][Yay]

Somebody asked his name/breed..etc?

his name is Possum, he's a registered florida cracker horse(his reg'd name is CJR Fancy Boy). He's about 6 years old, 14 hands high. He LOVES to trail ride, I ride him mostly western, but apparently he also likes to jump, so I take him over some low cross poles/logs here and there.

Hopefully when he pulls through(provided he doesn't founder on top of everything), we'll be back on the trail! I tell ya, this little guy is going to be treated like a king for the rest of his life if he makes it.. I can just hear my dad saying "This horse survived a SNAKE BITE! He's tough as nails!!" lol

Thanks everyone!!

Kate