Sign in to follow this  
pnhaavig

Suddenly QUIET and calm mare!

I'm not really complaining BUT confused. [Confused]

I have had my horse for over two years now and she has always been kind of spooky and nervous.

She does calm down considerably after lunging.

For the past week, she has been so calm without lunging her. She always pawed and moved all over when tied not anymore. [Confused]

A friend said that since I have been riding her more, she is calming down. Her colors are good and she is eating and drinking.

Just a wondering, that's all. [Eek!]

Heaven

I'm not really complaining BUT confused. [Confused]

I have had my horse for over two years now and she has always been kind of spooky and nervous.

She does calm down considerably after lunging.

For the past week, she has been so calm without lunging her. She always pawed and moved all over when tied not anymore. [Confused]

A friend said that since I have been riding her more, she is calming down. Her colors are good and she is eating and drinking.

Just a wondering, that's all. [Eek!]

Heaven

If you are really worried then have your vet do a complete blood panel. How old is your mare? Did you take her temperature? It might be worth a call to your vet, or it might just be the time you are spending with her now.

If you are really worried then have your vet do a complete blood panel. How old is your mare? Did you take her temperature? It might be worth a call to your vet, or it might just be the time you are spending with her now.

As long as there's nothing wrong, I think it's all the time that you're spending w/her. When I got my first horse, even though she was 20, she was spooky and nervous. (But then again she was an Arab!) But, the more time I spent w/her and the more I rode her, the calmer she became.

As long as there's nothing wrong, I think it's all the time that you're spending w/her. When I got my first horse, even though she was 20, she was spooky and nervous. (But then again she was an Arab!) But, the more time I spent w/her and the more I rode her, the calmer she became.

done any different type of training/bonding things lately? may be she's finally formed that real bond with you. It took about 2 yrs for me and my very first horse to finally "click" but when we did...hooo doggie did we have some fun [smile] Jumping over a burning log may or may not be included in the fun we had after we figured eachother out [big Grin]

done any different type of training/bonding things lately? may be she's finally formed that real bond with you. It took about 2 yrs for me and my very first horse to finally "click" but when we did...hooo doggie did we have some fun [smile] Jumping over a burning log may or may not be included in the fun we had after we figured eachother out [big Grin]

Quite often the more riding and exercise you give the horse, the calmer they get. Especially if it's done on a regular basis. Nothing better for a spookier type horse than lots of riding. [big Grin] Good for you Heaven. [Huggy]

Quite often the more riding and exercise you give the horse, the calmer they get. Especially if it's done on a regular basis. Nothing better for a spookier type horse than lots of riding. [big Grin] Good for you Heaven. [Huggy]

Deb- She is half arab!

I was thinking about having the vet come and check her out but hate to spend the money if there isn't any other symptoms.

Heaven

Deb- She is half arab!

I was thinking about having the vet come and check her out but hate to spend the money if there isn't any other symptoms.

Heaven

heaven58, I have yet to be around an Arab, or Arab cross that wasn't a bit spooky! The horse I have now is an Arab, and I've taken her on long walks just so when I do start riding her on trails, she's seen alot of stuff that might scare her. I prefer for her to spook w/out me on her back! The ground isn't getting any softer as time goes on!

heaven58, I have yet to be around an Arab, or Arab cross that wasn't a bit spooky! The horse I have now is an Arab, and I've taken her on long walks just so when I do start riding her on trails, she's seen alot of stuff that might scare her. I prefer for her to spook w/out me on her back! The ground isn't getting any softer as time goes on!

DebZ- I just want to let you know that last night when I went to the barn to check on my mare, she was once again "full of herself" and so I guess she will be just fine. I spent many days in the beginning just walking her on the ground as she was not ready for ME to ride.

Thanks for sharing about your Arab.

Heaven

DebZ- I just want to let you know that last night when I went to the barn to check on my mare, she was once again "full of herself" and so I guess she will be just fine. I spent many days in the beginning just walking her on the ground as she was not ready for ME to ride.

Thanks for sharing about your Arab.

Heaven

Heaven, I confess, when someone says they have a hyper horse, and other people are wondering about feed, I look at the breed. If it's an Arab, or an Arab cross, I wonder more about that!

My BO has one that, until recently was mainly just fed hay. (She's on a complete feed now cuz she has problems w/her teeth.) The BO has let me ride her, as well as others that aren't very experienced riders. W/the others, she was always very good, didn't try to do anything crazy, or spook. But w/me, she would act differently, until she'd see that she wasn't getting away w/it.

I could put little kids on the Arab I lost in January, and give them a pony ride. In fact, I took her to my church for a picnic once, and gave all the kids rides, until I got tired of walking. She never acted up once. But, I could get on her and she'd either be completely calm, or spook at the silliest things. (Though to be honest, she'd only do that if there was another horse along that was spooking.) It made me a much better rider!

Heaven, I confess, when someone says they have a hyper horse, and other people are wondering about feed, I look at the breed. If it's an Arab, or an Arab cross, I wonder more about that!

My BO has one that, until recently was mainly just fed hay. (She's on a complete feed now cuz she has problems w/her teeth.) The BO has let me ride her, as well as others that aren't very experienced riders. W/the others, she was always very good, didn't try to do anything crazy, or spook. But w/me, she would act differently, until she'd see that she wasn't getting away w/it.

I could put little kids on the Arab I lost in January, and give them a pony ride. In fact, I took her to my church for a picnic once, and gave all the kids rides, until I got tired of walking. She never acted up once. But, I could get on her and she'd either be completely calm, or spook at the silliest things. (Though to be honest, she'd only do that if there was another horse along that was spooking.) It made me a much better rider!

My horses go through different mood swings your horse could have been just feeling down or relaxed or she could have been feeling bad that day or days not showing any signs or anything horses have moods just like people do and it is hard to tell sometimes. Hope you can figure out what her problem was of course it is never a bad thing to have a calm horse [Jump]

My horses go through different mood swings your horse could have been just feeling down or relaxed or she could have been feeling bad that day or days not showing any signs or anything horses have moods just like people do and it is hard to tell sometimes. Hope you can figure out what her problem was of course it is never a bad thing to have a calm horse [Jump]