Sign in to follow this  
lilybean4me

Please Help, My Sheep Can't Walk!

My sheep, Lily can't stand up. At first she was limping really badly on one front leg, and we thought she might have gotten her hoof caught in the fence, and pulled a piece loose too close to the quick.

But, now it's both front legs, and she won't, and can't, stand up at all. The leg that we first noticed she was limping on is hotter than the other. But, the other one might get that way too, since it just started hurting her.

We had the vet out, and he says that he has no idea what it could be. He tried to get her to stand, but her legs just kind of splayed out in front of her, like she couldn't feel them.

So, it could be something neurological, but we have no idea.....if you have any idea, it would be greatly appreciated!!

My sheep, Lily can't stand up. At first she was limping really badly on one front leg, and we thought she might have gotten her hoof caught in the fence, and pulled a piece loose too close to the quick.

But, now it's both front legs, and she won't, and can't, stand up at all. The leg that we first noticed she was limping on is hotter than the other. But, the other one might get that way too, since it just started hurting her.

We had the vet out, and he says that he has no idea what it could be. He tried to get her to stand, but her legs just kind of splayed out in front of her, like she couldn't feel them.

So, it could be something neurological, but we have no idea.....if you have any idea, it would be greatly appreciated!!

My thought..I don't know anything about Sheep, could it be WNV? Kind of sounds like it since she is losing coordination in her legs and is acting like she can't feel them.

I had a friend's horse who had a reaction to the WNV vaccine and she started out how your describing. I don't know if there's a difference between the WNV in a sheep and horse but its Just a thought. Good luck.

My thought..I don't know anything about Sheep, could it be WNV? Kind of sounds like it since she is losing coordination in her legs and is acting like she can't feel them.

I had a friend's horse who had a reaction to the WNV vaccine and she started out how your describing. I don't know if there's a difference between the WNV in a sheep and horse but its Just a thought. Good luck.

Ya know, I raise goats and am wondering if the treatment we use would be suitable.

I am fairly confident it is safe for your girl too.

Go to your vet and get THIAMINE(B1). I think you can also get this at a coop. Usually when a ruminent goes down such as this, it is heavily deficient in one area, and MOST often times, thiamine. Lack of this vitamin causes an animal to stagger, or not be able to support it's weight. If thiamine is not given SOON, your sheep will deteriorate quickly.

We were in a pinch once, and I had human B-COMPLEX that I take. We crushed one tablet in water and forced it to our goat, who was also staggering, until I could get to the vet.

Our dose for a 60lb doe goat was 12cc.

You really can't overdose a ruminent with Thiamine. What the body doesn't need gets flushed out with their urine.

You give 12cc twice a day, for about two weeks. Hopefully you're comfortable giving shots!

I am pretty sure you will see an almost immediate change as Thiamine is a wonder drug.

Ya know, I raise goats and am wondering if the treatment we use would be suitable.

I am fairly confident it is safe for your girl too.

Go to your vet and get THIAMINE(B1). I think you can also get this at a coop. Usually when a ruminent goes down such as this, it is heavily deficient in one area, and MOST often times, thiamine. Lack of this vitamin causes an animal to stagger, or not be able to support it's weight. If thiamine is not given SOON, your sheep will deteriorate quickly.

We were in a pinch once, and I had human B-COMPLEX that I take. We crushed one tablet in water and forced it to our goat, who was also staggering, until I could get to the vet.

Our dose for a 60lb doe goat was 12cc.

You really can't overdose a ruminent with Thiamine. What the body doesn't need gets flushed out with their urine.

You give 12cc twice a day, for about two weeks. Hopefully you're comfortable giving shots!

I am pretty sure you will see an almost immediate change as Thiamine is a wonder drug.

Ask your vet to read up on a condition commonly called bumblefoot. It is a lot like thrush in horses and can become a very painful infection.

Ask your vet to read up on a condition commonly called bumblefoot. It is a lot like thrush in horses and can become a very painful infection.

Thanks all for your help. It's definatly neurological, as she can't lift her head or back end that well at all now.

She looked like she tried to move around some, but just can't. She must have eaten poison or something for it to act this fast. We just have no idea....

We checked on her at around 8:30 tonight, and gave her some food, water, and bute. I hope she makes it 'till morning... [Frown]

Thanks all for your help. It's definatly neurological, as she can't lift her head or back end that well at all now.

She looked like she tried to move around some, but just can't. She must have eaten poison or something for it to act this fast. We just have no idea....

We checked on her at around 8:30 tonight, and gave her some food, water, and bute. I hope she makes it 'till morning... [Frown]

Sounds like what happend to our neighbors sheep and unfortunately it had rabies. You might ask animal control or your vet if they have had any rabid reports around you or if you've seen anything. I know you can't watch everything all the time but as a tech I can tell you we had a couple of horses at the hospital that had rabies. We use to raise sheep as well (for the border collies) and never had a neuro sheep but we did have that thrush and I did have to trim their feet every 6 months otherwise they would get lame.

Sounds like what happend to our neighbors sheep and unfortunately it had rabies. You might ask animal control or your vet if they have had any rabid reports around you or if you've seen anything. I know you can't watch everything all the time but as a tech I can tell you we had a couple of horses at the hospital that had rabies. We use to raise sheep as well (for the border collies) and never had a neuro sheep but we did have that thrush and I did have to trim their feet every 6 months otherwise they would get lame.

It's starting to sound more and more like WNV....I've been looking up the symptoms, and she has alot of them.

She seems better today, a little bit more alert, but I'm afraid that all the laying down is going to affect her legs...she weighs probably close to 200 lbs. and that can't be good to have all that weight in one spot for long periods of time.

It's starting to sound more and more like WNV....I've been looking up the symptoms, and she has alot of them.

She seems better today, a little bit more alert, but I'm afraid that all the laying down is going to affect her legs...she weighs probably close to 200 lbs. and that can't be good to have all that weight in one spot for long periods of time.

quote:

Originally posted by TigerLily:

...she weighs probably close to 200 lbs. and that can't be good to have all that weight in one spot for long periods of time.

Can you get somebody to maybe help you flip her over, so she's no just laying on the one side?

quote:

Originally posted by TigerLily:

...she weighs probably close to 200 lbs. and that can't be good to have all that weight in one spot for long periods of time.

Can you get somebody to maybe help you flip her over, so she's no just laying on the one side?

Yes, we go out and move her around every couple of hours. It really stresses her out, as the only way we can move her is by pulling her wool, and she breaths really hard whenever we do.

Right now we're just trying to make her as comfortable as possible. She doesn't want to eat anymore...I don't think she's going to make it much longer...

Yes, we go out and move her around every couple of hours. It really stresses her out, as the only way we can move her is by pulling her wool, and she breaths really hard whenever we do.

Right now we're just trying to make her as comfortable as possible. She doesn't want to eat anymore...I don't think she's going to make it much longer...

I know this isn't what this thread is about, but what is WNV?

I am so sorry about your sheep. We have 3 goats and it would make me so sad to see them suffer. Hope she pulls through. [Angel]

I know this isn't what this thread is about, but what is WNV?

I am so sorry about your sheep. We have 3 goats and it would make me so sad to see them suffer. Hope she pulls through. [Angel]

most anything that is good for goats is good for sheep. Can you buy Nutri-drench. Tractor supply sells is as well as some feed and seed. It will help boost her immune system. I give it to my kids immediately after they are born. It is very safe. just squirt it into a syringe and squirt it into her mouth. If she doesn't improve I would try another vet. Believe me not just any vet can care for sheep and goats. Best wishes I hope she makes it! How old is she?

most anything that is good for goats is good for sheep. Can you buy Nutri-drench. Tractor supply sells is as well as some feed and seed. It will help boost her immune system. I give it to my kids immediately after they are born. It is very safe. just squirt it into a syringe and squirt it into her mouth. If she doesn't improve I would try another vet. Believe me not just any vet can care for sheep and goats. Best wishes I hope she makes it! How old is she?