Sign in to follow this  
Tiffany Newman

Can a nine month old donkey get pregnant?

My neighbors have two donkeys they just acquired. They have a 1 1/2 year old jack in with a nine month old jenny. Last night the donkeys got out and came over to our place. We had the donkeys eating out of a grain bucket and almost haltered and they can barreling up in their truck and started running toward the donkeys [bang Head] So, off they went down the road. I was talking to the neighbor telling him it looked like he was going to have a baby next spring since I saw them breeding a few weeks ago. He said "nah, they're just babies she can't get pregnant." What do ya think? I'm devasated to think she might be. They definitely are not experienced owners and obviously she is waay to young.

My neighbors have two donkeys they just acquired. They have a 1 1/2 year old jack in with a nine month old jenny. Last night the donkeys got out and came over to our place. We had the donkeys eating out of a grain bucket and almost haltered and they can barreling up in their truck and started running toward the donkeys [bang Head] So, off they went down the road. I was talking to the neighbor telling him it looked like he was going to have a baby next spring since I saw them breeding a few weeks ago. He said "nah, they're just babies she can't get pregnant." What do ya think? I'm devasated to think she might be. They definitely are not experienced owners and obviously she is waay to young.

Idiots.

Remind them it's the equivalent of 12-15 yr olds having sex. Babies having babies.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

Idiots.

Remind them it's the equivalent of 12-15 yr olds having sex. Babies having babies.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

If you could pass a warning to them: be sure the vet that they call out to castrate, (since they know now that they need to), has experience with donkeys. They have a different blood supply and can bleed out if not done properly. Make sure they don't do a home job either, as they sound like they could do some serious damage. The vet can also check the the jenny for pregnancy.

Good for you for trying to help! [Huggy]

[ 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Little Cow ]

If you could pass a warning to them: be sure the vet that they call out to castrate, (since they know now that they need to), has experience with donkeys. They have a different blood supply and can bleed out if not done properly. Make sure they don't do a home job either, as they sound like they could do some serious damage. The vet can also check the the jenny for pregnancy.

Good for you for trying to help! [Huggy]

[ 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Little Cow ]

I have a feeling they will just let them be. Not check for pregnancy, not geld the jack, etc.. They don't even have any shelter/barn, nothing. They got them from someone up the road who had jacks and jennies. They all just bred each other and the jacks were always fighting and bloody. Everyone was in one big pen. The lady finally decided she had enough and got rid of most of them so these neighbors decided to take these two. I drove by today and saw their teenage son out with them. He had something in a bucket. When the jenny went up to investigate he hit her on the face, turned, picked up a rock, threw it at the jenny and walked away. No wonder the donkeys were running when they saw them coming last night! As a former donkey owner this really irks me as I know what sweet and loving creatures they can be.

I have a feeling they will just let them be. Not check for pregnancy, not geld the jack, etc.. They don't even have any shelter/barn, nothing. They got them from someone up the road who had jacks and jennies. They all just bred each other and the jacks were always fighting and bloody. Everyone was in one big pen. The lady finally decided she had enough and got rid of most of them so these neighbors decided to take these two. I drove by today and saw their teenage son out with them. He had something in a bucket. When the jenny went up to investigate he hit her on the face, turned, picked up a rock, threw it at the jenny and walked away. No wonder the donkeys were running when they saw them coming last night! As a former donkey owner this really irks me as I know what sweet and loving creatures they can be.

Can you report the abuse you witnessed to animal control? It would be the same as reporting seeing someone kick a dog, (and should be treated as such).

If that doesn't work, go over to these neighbor's house with a freshly baked apple pie and when they come outside to see what you brought them, whack the teen on the face and then throw a big rock at him.

[ 06-15-2007, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: Little Cow ]

Can you report the abuse you witnessed to animal control? It would be the same as reporting seeing someone kick a dog, (and should be treated as such).

If that doesn't work, go over to these neighbor's house with a freshly baked apple pie and when they come outside to see what you brought them, whack the teen on the face and then throw a big rock at him.

[ 06-15-2007, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: Little Cow ]