Sign in to follow this  
audrey-mae

How much can mild arthritis affect collection?

I have a 21 year old saddlebred mare I have owned for 2 years. When I got her she collected up nicely, about a year later she was very stiff and reluctant to collect, would get pissy when asked to really come into my hands. I had a chiro out and she said my mare pretty much has mild arthritis everywhere, neck, back, shoulders, knees, hocks, you get the point. I will most likely be putting her on cosiquin or adaquen (I havnt decided which yet) this fall. She does not have any nobby lumps or anything like that.

I am not the greatest rider, and I no doubt have instilled bad habits in her, but I am wondering how much of it could be from the arthritis?

I have a 21 year old saddlebred mare I have owned for 2 years. When I got her she collected up nicely, about a year later she was very stiff and reluctant to collect, would get pissy when asked to really come into my hands. I had a chiro out and she said my mare pretty much has mild arthritis everywhere, neck, back, shoulders, knees, hocks, you get the point. I will most likely be putting her on cosiquin or adaquen (I havnt decided which yet) this fall. She does not have any nobby lumps or anything like that.

I am not the greatest rider, and I no doubt have instilled bad habits in her, but I am wondering how much of it could be from the arthritis?

Seems to me like an easy way to check this would be to bute her and then ride her...

If she is better, youll know its probably pain related...if not, you might need to get a trainer to help you get back on track.

[ 06-24-2007, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Trinity ]

Seems to me like an easy way to check this would be to bute her and then ride her...

If she is better, youll know its probably pain related...if not, you might need to get a trainer to help you get back on track.

[ 06-24-2007, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Trinity ]

hugely

What are we doing when we ask for collectiion?

We are asking our horse to bend, fold, flex and articulate every joint in the body - especially along the spine and in the hind legs. In the highest expression of collection - piaffe to levade, we are asking our horse to 'sit', possible only by the 'folding' of the hind legs.

Your mare is getting older, it hurts to bend and stretch, but it is good for her to do this to a mild extent. Yes, injections will help, but you cannot turn back the clock or indeed afford to inject every joint in her body. How much exercise would you expect an 80 yr old woman to do? A fit all her life 80 yr old? A couch potato 80 yr old?

Supplements may or may not help, and injections will certainly ease the pain.... but you must be alert to every nuance as you ride and determine is this 'I can't' or 'I won't' and respond accordingly. Calcification of the joints cannot be reversed!

hugely

What are we doing when we ask for collectiion?

We are asking our horse to bend, fold, flex and articulate every joint in the body - especially along the spine and in the hind legs. In the highest expression of collection - piaffe to levade, we are asking our horse to 'sit', possible only by the 'folding' of the hind legs.

Your mare is getting older, it hurts to bend and stretch, but it is good for her to do this to a mild extent. Yes, injections will help, but you cannot turn back the clock or indeed afford to inject every joint in her body. How much exercise would you expect an 80 yr old woman to do? A fit all her life 80 yr old? A couch potato 80 yr old?

Supplements may or may not help, and injections will certainly ease the pain.... but you must be alert to every nuance as you ride and determine is this 'I can't' or 'I won't' and respond accordingly. Calcification of the joints cannot be reversed!

Thanks guys, I have never owned a horse over 13 before, so this is all new to me [Embarrassed]

Once I got into her head (first few months of ownership) she stopped being an "I wont" horse. She loves to work and loves to go, guess this is just her new physical limitation. Thats OK, I can work around it. I have been bad about stretches with her, I will be sure to put that at the top of my list, carrot stretches daily for her.

Thanks guys, I have never owned a horse over 13 before, so this is all new to me [Embarrassed]

Once I got into her head (first few months of ownership) she stopped being an "I wont" horse. She loves to work and loves to go, guess this is just her new physical limitation. Thats OK, I can work around it. I have been bad about stretches with her, I will be sure to put that at the top of my list, carrot stretches daily for her.