Sign in to follow this  
tchodges8

Edema on gelding's belly... ideas?

Hello,

My 20 year old Paso Fino gelding seems to have developed an edema on his belly overnight. Yesterday evening he was absolutely normal. This morning he had that odd swelling. I was hoping someone could tell me what might cause it and what could be done about it.

The edema is just in front of his sheath and just to the right of his midline. It feels very mushy for about the first half inch when I press on it, but underneath is hard. It is normal temperature and is not giving off heat. It also does not seem to pain him at all, since I was pressing on it very hard and he didn't flinch. Pressing on it did not seem to make much indention, if any. His sheath is also a little swollen, which isn't unusual because he is a fly magnet and sometimes he does swell in that area.

I don't know if any of these could be contributing factors, but...We had two inches of rain overnight and it is a sloppy mess out there. We got a new mare recently, who is dominant over the gelding, and though I have not observed any aggressive behavior beyond "ear talk", it IS possible that she could have kicked him. He is fed free choice hay and every afternoon gets fed Nutrena Senior. I actually opened a new bag of it yesterday. I saddled up about two hours after feeding and did not notice anything. His behavior is all perfectly normal. We also have no trouble with fleas or ticks, but are having lots of problems with flies and spiders. I did not see any marks on him, but I always have to spray him twice a day for flies or they actually make sores on him. He has no sores on him now, but they always seem to go after his legs and sheath and I have to make sure to keep him clean and sprayed.

I am trying to attach pics. We used to have a mare that often got edemas in her legs or belly, and those always went down with antibiotics. But this is not normal for this horse. I certainly will call a vet if one is needed, but I don't want to make a big deal out of nothing either since he seems to be acting just fine and has a good appetite...

Ideas? What should I do? Thanks for your help!

Seen from right side:

-

Seen from left side:

-

Hello,

My 20 year old Paso Fino gelding seems to have developed an edema on his belly overnight. Yesterday evening he was absolutely normal. This morning he had that odd swelling. I was hoping someone could tell me what might cause it and what could be done about it.

The edema is just in front of his sheath and just to the right of his midline. It feels very mushy for about the first half inch when I press on it, but underneath is hard. It is normal temperature and is not giving off heat. It also does not seem to pain him at all, since I was pressing on it very hard and he didn't flinch. Pressing on it did not seem to make much indention, if any. His sheath is also a little swollen, which isn't unusual because he is a fly magnet and sometimes he does swell in that area.

I don't know if any of these could be contributing factors, but...We had two inches of rain overnight and it is a sloppy mess out there. We got a new mare recently, who is dominant over the gelding, and though I have not observed any aggressive behavior beyond "ear talk", it IS possible that she could have kicked him. He is fed free choice hay and every afternoon gets fed Nutrena Senior. I actually opened a new bag of it yesterday. I saddled up about two hours after feeding and did not notice anything. His behavior is all perfectly normal. We also have no trouble with fleas or ticks, but are having lots of problems with flies and spiders. I did not see any marks on him, but I always have to spray him twice a day for flies or they actually make sores on him. He has no sores on him now, but they always seem to go after his legs and sheath and I have to make sure to keep him clean and sprayed.

I am trying to attach pics. We used to have a mare that often got edemas in her legs or belly, and those always went down with antibiotics. But this is not normal for this horse. I certainly will call a vet if one is needed, but I don't want to make a big deal out of nothing either since he seems to be acting just fine and has a good appetite...

Ideas? What should I do? Thanks for your help!

Seen from right side:

-

Seen from left side:

-

Looks to me like more than a bug bite. Kicked by other horse? very hard to explain how it could happen underneath belly. If the area is not hot, I'd try cold hosing for a couple days, as often as possible. If no better or worse....call the vet! [Huggy]

Looks to me like more than a bug bite. Kicked by other horse? very hard to explain how it could happen underneath belly. If the area is not hot, I'd try cold hosing for a couple days, as often as possible. If no better or worse....call the vet! [Huggy]

My horse sometimes gets swellings from bug bites. I usually just make a paste of epsom salts, it helps the swelling go down faster. You might want to try something like feed through fly control, fly predators, or spot on repellent.

My horse sometimes gets swellings from bug bites. I usually just make a paste of epsom salts, it helps the swelling go down faster. You might want to try something like feed through fly control, fly predators, or spot on repellent.

Thanks for the ideas, guys! From all the stuff I was reading in the vet manual that could have caused it, and from some other posts in the archives, I was getting worried. :-) I hope it is just because of bugs. It seems unlikely that it could be anything major, but you know how it is when it comes to your horses. Our vet is constantly on the go though and I didn't want to waste her time either.

I was out checking on him just now and the edema seems to have moved downwards a little, maybe a couple of inches toward his girth. Does that mean anything? [Confused]

Thanks for the ideas, guys! From all the stuff I was reading in the vet manual that could have caused it, and from some other posts in the archives, I was getting worried. :-) I hope it is just because of bugs. It seems unlikely that it could be anything major, but you know how it is when it comes to your horses. Our vet is constantly on the go though and I didn't want to waste her time either.

I was out checking on him just now and the edema seems to have moved downwards a little, maybe a couple of inches toward his girth. Does that mean anything? [Confused]

If it's getting bigger you may want to have a phone consultation with your vet. I know our's is always on the run, but if we call the office he will usually give a call back while he's driving. Maybe your's would too.

Have you tired an ice pack?

If it's getting bigger you may want to have a phone consultation with your vet. I know our's is always on the run, but if we call the office he will usually give a call back while he's driving. Maybe your's would too.

Have you tired an ice pack?

G&K,

It hasn't gotten any bigger, just has moved downwards a little to a slightly lower point on his belly... and you can see that it bounces a little when he walks, just a tiny bit but you can still see that it does (weird).

It is the same size and feels the same. I would definitely say it hasn't grown. I haven't tried an ice pack but could put a ziploc bag with water in the freezer now so I can give it a shot. I hosed it for several minutes with cold water and it didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!

G&K,

It hasn't gotten any bigger, just has moved downwards a little to a slightly lower point on his belly... and you can see that it bounces a little when he walks, just a tiny bit but you can still see that it does (weird).

It is the same size and feels the same. I would definitely say it hasn't grown. I haven't tried an ice pack but could put a ziploc bag with water in the freezer now so I can give it a shot. I hosed it for several minutes with cold water and it didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!

I wouldn't be too worried about it moving down, there's probably some fluid in there that will cause it to move to the lowest spot. Happened when my horse got a kick on his chest, it moved all the way down between his legs before clearing up. With the epsom salts you should see improvement by three days if not right away. When in doubt you can always call your vet for advice, better safe than sorry!

I wouldn't be too worried about it moving down, there's probably some fluid in there that will cause it to move to the lowest spot. Happened when my horse got a kick on his chest, it moved all the way down between his legs before clearing up. With the epsom salts you should see improvement by three days if not right away. When in doubt you can always call your vet for advice, better safe than sorry!

I would say that's gravity. When we first got our youngest, we sprayed him with fly spray, not knowing he was allergic to it. The next day the poor Pooky had a sheath twice the normal size. By the next day all the fuild had moved to under his chest.

Vet said hose it and give him Benedryl (sp), worked okay,but now I keep Apis Mellifica on hand. It's Bee Venom, you can get it at health food stores. It's amazing for allergic reations to insect bites.

I would say that's gravity. When we first got our youngest, we sprayed him with fly spray, not knowing he was allergic to it. The next day the poor Pooky had a sheath twice the normal size. By the next day all the fuild had moved to under his chest.

Vet said hose it and give him Benedryl (sp), worked okay,but now I keep Apis Mellifica on hand. It's Bee Venom, you can get it at health food stores. It's amazing for allergic reations to insect bites.

That's a good idea about the epsom salts-- it certainly couldn't hurt anything! I'll get some from my mom tonight (she always has some) and try it when we get back.

Surely between ice packs, cold water, and the salt, something will happen! If it has not improved at all by tomorrow, or if he shows any change of behavior at all anytime, I will be taking him to get checked out!

That's a good idea about the epsom salts-- it certainly couldn't hurt anything! I'll get some from my mom tonight (she always has some) and try it when we get back.

Surely between ice packs, cold water, and the salt, something will happen! If it has not improved at all by tomorrow, or if he shows any change of behavior at all anytime, I will be taking him to get checked out!

Bee venom? [Eek!] Interesting! Does it work for people too? I got bitten by a spider three times on the arm last week (it was hiding in my sweater). My arm was swollen and itchy for a couple of hours. I wonder if that would have helped? Maybe I ought to keep some around!

Bee venom? [Eek!] Interesting! Does it work for people too? I got bitten by a spider three times on the arm last week (it was hiding in my sweater). My arm was swollen and itchy for a couple of hours. I wonder if that would have helped? Maybe I ought to keep some around!

Just so you know, our gelding ha dthe same thing only it really involved his sheath too and it swelled up like a balloon.

Our vet never did fugure out what it was from. He cleaned his sheath twice and gave a shot of antibiotics and it would go down but a month later it was back. He told us that he just needed exercise. We exercised him as much as we could in the winter/spring, slush and mud. Then he told us he just needed some alflafa. OS we started giving him that with his grass hay int he evenings. NOTHING worked.

THEN, our round bale ran out so we just fed small squares. Well, when he wasn't eating constantly all day, the swelling went down. Hhmmm....got another round bale a couple weeks later, swelling back up. round bale gone, swelling down. We went about 3 or 4 months without a round bale before getting another one. And the edema stayed away this time. Never actually figured out what it was but it is gone! Mystery to the vet even! [Wink]

Just so you know, our gelding ha dthe same thing only it really involved his sheath too and it swelled up like a balloon.

Our vet never did fugure out what it was from. He cleaned his sheath twice and gave a shot of antibiotics and it would go down but a month later it was back. He told us that he just needed exercise. We exercised him as much as we could in the winter/spring, slush and mud. Then he told us he just needed some alflafa. OS we started giving him that with his grass hay int he evenings. NOTHING worked.

THEN, our round bale ran out so we just fed small squares. Well, when he wasn't eating constantly all day, the swelling went down. Hhmmm....got another round bale a couple weeks later, swelling back up. round bale gone, swelling down. We went about 3 or 4 months without a round bale before getting another one. And the edema stayed away this time. Never actually figured out what it was but it is gone! Mystery to the vet even! [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by hassiegirl:

Bee venom?
[Eek!]
Interesting! Does it work for people too? I got bitten by a spider three times on the arm last week (it was hiding in my sweater). My arm was swollen and itchy for a couple of hours. I wonder if that would have helped? Maybe I ought to keep some around!

Yes it can be used on people, cats, dogs and Horse's.

We are very lucky to have a homeopathic drug store close to us. They service the valley and the harness track. The track guy's swear by the stuff.

Here's some info:

http://www.beevenom.com/apismellifica.htm

[ 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: G&K'Smom ]

quote:

Originally posted by hassiegirl:

Bee venom?
[Eek!]
Interesting! Does it work for people too? I got bitten by a spider three times on the arm last week (it was hiding in my sweater). My arm was swollen and itchy for a couple of hours. I wonder if that would have helped? Maybe I ought to keep some around!

Yes it can be used on people, cats, dogs and Horse's.

We are very lucky to have a homeopathic drug store close to us. They service the valley and the harness track. The track guy's swear by the stuff.

Here's some info:

http://www.beevenom.com/apismellifica.htm

[ 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: G&K'Smom ]

Don't be alarmed by this. If the lump doesn't go away in a few days or gets bigger, you might want consider calling your vet about this for a cardiac checkup. I think what you have pictured is also a sign congestive heart failure.

Don't be alarmed by this. If the lump doesn't go away in a few days or gets bigger, you might want consider calling your vet about this for a cardiac checkup. I think what you have pictured is also a sign congestive heart failure.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to update! The edema is the same today, but the sheath is slightly more swollen. I don't even really know if the two are related since his sheath is prone to swelling anyway. The vet gave me some things to try before hauling him in, so I just gave him some benadryl and hosed him off again. I guess we'll see!

Are there any other signs of congestive heart failure? I had also read that these sort of edemas could be caused by cancer. Although the gelding is a bay, he has a pink nose that I always have to keep sunscreen on or it burns. Does anyone know about those two things?

Also, might it be an allergic reaction to his feed, since it showed up the morning after opening a new bag? That bag had the corner taped too, because apparently it had been ripped open. It looks and smells just fine though. I don't know if it would show up in that area if it were a reaction to food. [Confused]

Hopefully the benadryl will work and that will be it. I am really fond of this little old hoss.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to update! The edema is the same today, but the sheath is slightly more swollen. I don't even really know if the two are related since his sheath is prone to swelling anyway. The vet gave me some things to try before hauling him in, so I just gave him some benadryl and hosed him off again. I guess we'll see!

Are there any other signs of congestive heart failure? I had also read that these sort of edemas could be caused by cancer. Although the gelding is a bay, he has a pink nose that I always have to keep sunscreen on or it burns. Does anyone know about those two things?

Also, might it be an allergic reaction to his feed, since it showed up the morning after opening a new bag? That bag had the corner taped too, because apparently it had been ripped open. It looks and smells just fine though. I don't know if it would show up in that area if it were a reaction to food. [Confused]

Hopefully the benadryl will work and that will be it. I am really fond of this little old hoss.