Sign in to follow this  
therowdyone

Swollen sheath?

My brother's horse has a swollen sheath (not really the sheath but the skin around it). It's not very large but it started yesterday. He's never had a problem before or even needed cleaned. Should I get it cleaned and see if there is some infection? Or should I start with a shot of Banamine or something else and see if it gets better? The vets here will charge an arm and a leg for ANYTHING so I'd rather do it myself if possible. Like I said, it's not really swollen, I've seen much worse. But I'm wondering if I can help it now so it doesn't get infected.

My brother's horse has a swollen sheath (not really the sheath but the skin around it). It's not very large but it started yesterday. He's never had a problem before or even needed cleaned. Should I get it cleaned and see if there is some infection? Or should I start with a shot of Banamine or something else and see if it gets better? The vets here will charge an arm and a leg for ANYTHING so I'd rather do it myself if possible. Like I said, it's not really swollen, I've seen much worse. But I'm wondering if I can help it now so it doesn't get infected.

A number of things can make a horse sheath swell. Lack of exercise, diet, infection, beans, dirt. Have you ever cleaned this horses sheath before? What color is the horse? Is his ****** light or dark(I know odd question)skinned. Pink skinned horses can get sunburned as well down there. OUCH! I saw a paint horse that actually had cancer that my vet was treating. Poor guy, I felt so bad for him as it looked so painful.

If he will let you clean his sheath, then I would do it. Just make sure that you get the beans if he should have any. People think that cleaning a horses sheath is just spraying a hose up into the sheath area. That will clean all the dirt out but what you really have to go after are the beans, and you will normally find them around the ureatha.

Cols

A number of things can make a horse sheath swell. Lack of exercise, diet, infection, beans, dirt. Have you ever cleaned this horses sheath before? What color is the horse? Is his ****** light or dark(I know odd question)skinned. Pink skinned horses can get sunburned as well down there. OUCH! I saw a paint horse that actually had cancer that my vet was treating. Poor guy, I felt so bad for him as it looked so painful.

If he will let you clean his sheath, then I would do it. Just make sure that you get the beans if he should have any. People think that cleaning a horses sheath is just spraying a hose up into the sheath area. That will clean all the dirt out but what you really have to go after are the beans, and you will normally find them around the ureatha.

Cols

My gelding does this every year. The first two it totally freaked me out.

My vet said that if you can handle the area go ahead and do a thorough cleaning, making sure to get the beans.

If you can't really handle it, either because he just won't let you or because of pain I really would just go for a cool hose.

Normally I would say cold hose for swelling, but as you know it wouldn't be odd for a horse to resent having icy cold water sprayed there.

Usually with my guy it's a combination of grime and the heat. For some reason it just gets very irritated and if left for any period of time will do a sort of heat rash and then it takes forever to clear it up.

If you do get it clean and he is still in pain or there is continued swelling after a reasonable period of time I'd go ahead and have the vet look.

My gelding does this every year. The first two it totally freaked me out.

My vet said that if you can handle the area go ahead and do a thorough cleaning, making sure to get the beans.

If you can't really handle it, either because he just won't let you or because of pain I really would just go for a cool hose.

Normally I would say cold hose for swelling, but as you know it wouldn't be odd for a horse to resent having icy cold water sprayed there.

Usually with my guy it's a combination of grime and the heat. For some reason it just gets very irritated and if left for any period of time will do a sort of heat rash and then it takes forever to clear it up.

If you do get it clean and he is still in pain or there is continued swelling after a reasonable period of time I'd go ahead and have the vet look.

My horse got stung by a bee down there while we were trail riding one day and his sheath swelled the next day. Not much you can do about that! It's hard to say why his sheath is swollen. I agree to clean him and go from there.

My horse got stung by a bee down there while we were trail riding one day and his sheath swelled the next day. Not much you can do about that! It's hard to say why his sheath is swollen. I agree to clean him and go from there.

Ticks can also cause the sheath to swell. Sometimes you cannot see them you can feel them unless they have become so embedded that skin begins to grow over them.

Ticks can also cause the sheath to swell. Sometimes you cannot see them you can feel them unless they have become so embedded that skin begins to grow over them.

horse crazy- yeah it looks like that but a little more swollen. I cleaned it and have been hosing it every day. The swelling is going down but still a little swollen. Mostly on one side though. I will take another look at it this morning. Thanks guys. [Confused]

horse crazy- yeah it looks like that but a little more swollen. I cleaned it and have been hosing it every day. The swelling is going down but still a little swollen. Mostly on one side though. I will take another look at it this morning. Thanks guys. [Confused]

Re: the swollen sheath. As others have stated, many many things can cause this. If you are in a warm climate, heat can cause this indirectly, because horses in warmer or hot climates tend to find a place to shade themselves and stand longer, drink a lot of water, and hence, edema occurs. My 47 yr old gelding swells every summer and stays swollen from July to near the end of August or until the weather cools. You may want to take a magnifying glass and inspect for bee stings, ant bites, fly bites, and even dirt, grass or debris around the tip of the sheath that can occur when a horse rolls. If you find nothing, I would firstly hose the sheath GENTLY all around, with a cool hose, no pressure, just a gently dousing with the hose without a nozzle. Let the water run all around it without inserting it of course, for 8 to 10 minutes. Make note or take a digital cam out with you and take pics to 'COMPARE' and see if that doesnt take some of the swelling down. If not, I would consult your veterinarian as it may be a sign of something else.

Diana

Re: the swollen sheath. As others have stated, many many things can cause this. If you are in a warm climate, heat can cause this indirectly, because horses in warmer or hot climates tend to find a place to shade themselves and stand longer, drink a lot of water, and hence, edema occurs. My 47 yr old gelding swells every summer and stays swollen from July to near the end of August or until the weather cools. You may want to take a magnifying glass and inspect for bee stings, ant bites, fly bites, and even dirt, grass or debris around the tip of the sheath that can occur when a horse rolls. If you find nothing, I would firstly hose the sheath GENTLY all around, with a cool hose, no pressure, just a gently dousing with the hose without a nozzle. Let the water run all around it without inserting it of course, for 8 to 10 minutes. Make note or take a digital cam out with you and take pics to 'COMPARE' and see if that doesnt take some of the swelling down. If not, I would consult your veterinarian as it may be a sign of something else.

Diana

Re: swollen sheath.

Might I add that I do not advocate cleaning the sheath and will explain why. If, and there is a chance, IF, there is a foreign body of any kind, even sand or dirt,anything that can be abbrasive etc, in the sheath near the entrance, and you clean the sheath without the horse fully extended (which some will not without tranquiling first), then you may actually force the foreign body further up the sheath itself or cause abrasions within the sheath by the washing/rubbing motion.

Re: swollen sheath.

Might I add that I do not advocate cleaning the sheath and will explain why. If, and there is a chance, IF, there is a foreign body of any kind, even sand or dirt,anything that can be abbrasive etc, in the sheath near the entrance, and you clean the sheath without the horse fully extended (which some will not without tranquiling first), then you may actually force the foreign body further up the sheath itself or cause abrasions within the sheath by the washing/rubbing motion.