Sign in to follow this  
cowgirlcortney777

My dog got bit by a snake....

I really think that Bumper should have been a little nicer about this whole thing. Courtney was just scared and she wanted to ask for help and you bite her head off! Now how do you think that makes Courtney feel about her dog?

Courtney, I hope your dog is OK! Prayers! [Angel]

I really think that Bumper should have been a little nicer about this whole thing. Courtney was just scared and she wanted to ask for help and you bite her head off! Now how do you think that makes Courtney feel about her dog?

Courtney, I hope your dog is OK! Prayers! [Angel]

quote:

Originally posted by canchasin_gal:

Bumper's been abundantly clear that she couldn't care less how it makes Cortney feel so long as her point got across.

[ 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Kina Kat ]

quote:

Originally posted by canchasin_gal:

Bumper's been abundantly clear that she couldn't care less how it makes Cortney feel so long as her point got across.

[ 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Kina Kat ]

I'm with Bumper here, too many times people post things on the BB's assuming we KNOW how old they are, ALL of the symptoms of whatever disease their animals have, what they've done, how many lessons they've had, how much experience, blah blah. When in fact-WE DON'T KNOW. If we're not told in the OP, we MUST assume things.

Let this be a lesson to everyone-please put ALL the facts in your first post, so that nobody has to assume anything.

I'm with Bumper here, too many times people post things on the BB's assuming we KNOW how old they are, ALL of the symptoms of whatever disease their animals have, what they've done, how many lessons they've had, how much experience, blah blah. When in fact-WE DON'T KNOW. If we're not told in the OP, we MUST assume things.

Let this be a lesson to everyone-please put ALL the facts in your first post, so that nobody has to assume anything.

quote:

Originally posted by MissMyBud:

It's impossible to anticipate everyone else's questions. And just how familiar is the kid with this process? I don't know.

WE'RE the adults. It's our job to behave respectfully and gather the information we need to form an opinion. There's just no good reason to flame and bash.

quote:

Originally posted by MissMyBud:

It's impossible to anticipate everyone else's questions. And just how familiar is the kid with this process? I don't know.

WE'RE the adults. It's our job to behave respectfully and gather the information we need to form an opinion. There's just no good reason to flame and bash.

I think that what Bumper said was completely appropriate. It got it into courtney's mind that she NEEDS to be thinking "vet first, bulliten board second", whereas I think if everyone was nice she wouldn't feel bad about not calling the vet.

I think that what Bumper said was completely appropriate. It got it into courtney's mind that she NEEDS to be thinking "vet first, bulliten board second", whereas I think if everyone was nice she wouldn't feel bad about not calling the vet.

quote:

Originally posted by NotOriginal:

I think that what Bumper said was completely appropriate.

paraprasing: "I feel sorry for your dog and all your future dogs"? Nope, that's below the belt. And way judgmental!

quote:

paraprasing: "I feel sorry for your dog and all your future dogs"? Nope, that's below the belt. And way judgmental!

quote:

Originally posted by Kina Kat:

quote:

OH for God's sake let it go. The OP certainly has.

[Roll Eyes]

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

quote:

Originally posted by Kina Kat:

quote:

OH for God's sake let it go. The OP certainly has.

[Roll Eyes]

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

you know what you guys.....

you keep saying, "shes a kid, she only 13" etc.. "not in control" etc. etc... "parents dont care, its been bit before and survived" etc. etc...

1. when I was 13, I had a BRAIN and could make common sense decisions. and guess what? all my 13 year old friends could too.

2. one time when I was 10! I saw a dog get hit by car... I scooped it up and begged as many people as I could to take me to the vet.. (not even my dog) there is ALWAYS a way to get help to get the dog to a vet in an emergency, even if you called the local sherrif to take you, or animal control, your neighbor, aunt, uncle, grandma... WHOEVER. I wouldnt even ask my parents... (if they didnt care, which wouldnt happen in my house) If I saw my dog get bit by a rattle snake, Id do something about it... NOT, go on a chat forum and scream "help" and expect someone to.. I dont know... jump through the screen and administer first aid?!?!?!

3. if she is in no way in control and the parents dont care.. THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE THE DOG... listen this going to happen again and again (per her posts) find the dog a *good* home.

To the OP, please find this poor snake bitten dog a new home before he gets killed. and dont get another dog, until you can make rational decisions about his care.

harsh? perhaps... I dont care.. I only care about this dogs future.

you know what you guys.....

you keep saying, "shes a kid, she only 13" etc.. "not in control" etc. etc... "parents dont care, its been bit before and survived" etc. etc...

1. when I was 13, I had a BRAIN and could make common sense decisions. and guess what? all my 13 year old friends could too.

2. one time when I was 10! I saw a dog get hit by car... I scooped it up and begged as many people as I could to take me to the vet.. (not even my dog) there is ALWAYS a way to get help to get the dog to a vet in an emergency, even if you called the local sherrif to take you, or animal control, your neighbor, aunt, uncle, grandma... WHOEVER. I wouldnt even ask my parents... (if they didnt care, which wouldnt happen in my house) If I saw my dog get bit by a rattle snake, Id do something about it... NOT, go on a chat forum and scream "help" and expect someone to.. I dont know... jump through the screen and administer first aid?!?!?!

3. if she is in no way in control and the parents dont care.. THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE THE DOG... listen this going to happen again and again (per her posts) find the dog a *good* home.

To the OP, please find this poor snake bitten dog a new home before he gets killed. and dont get another dog, until you can make rational decisions about his care.

harsh? perhaps... I dont care.. I only care about this dogs future.

It was not a rattlesnake. A dog that has been bitten before will not live a third or forth time.

My dog was bitten by a very small rattler, size of the rattler was proven size by two holes in his head. His head swelled to the sized of a soccer ball, his breathing got very heavy and his temperature went through the roof. It all happened within ONE HOUR (feed the horse, came back to the house for coffee and I looked down and went [Eek!] ). This dog at the time was an "extremely" fit 98lbs.

So all this fuss going on in this thread isn't worth it. The dog would not live 2 days if it was bitten TWICE and had been bitten several times before that. My vet told me the first bite they can survive, the second is almost always fatal.

quote:

Originally posted by cowgirlcortney777:

She made it through two nights.I told my parents we definetely needed to go to the vet, but they think she'll be OK since she's been bitten before, alot of times.I mean she's a snake killin' machine, and when my brother tried to shoot the gun at the snake she was always in the way. I don't want ya'll to think that I'm a bad pet owner or whatever you think, cause I guarantee you that probly all of you think that. Believe me if I had my drivers license I
would
have taken her to the vet. But we live out here in the country so it's just kinda hard to run everywhere and to the vet and everything. We gave her some penicillin and my mamaw and papaw are gonna take her to the vet tom. I could tell you how the whole thing happened but I'd probly just get flamed again. Oh yeah, thanks Junie B!
[Not Worthy]

It was not a rattlesnake. A dog that has been bitten before will not live a third or forth time.

My dog was bitten by a very small rattler, size of the rattler was proven size by two holes in his head. His head swelled to the sized of a soccer ball, his breathing got very heavy and his temperature went through the roof. It all happened within ONE HOUR (feed the horse, came back to the house for coffee and I looked down and went [Eek!] ). This dog at the time was an "extremely" fit 98lbs.

So all this fuss going on in this thread isn't worth it. The dog would not live 2 days if it was bitten TWICE and had been bitten several times before that. My vet told me the first bite they can survive, the second is almost always fatal.

quote:

Originally posted by cowgirlcortney777:

She made it through two nights.I told my parents we definetely needed to go to the vet, but they think she'll be OK since she's been bitten before, alot of times.I mean she's a snake killin' machine, and when my brother tried to shoot the gun at the snake she was always in the way. I don't want ya'll to think that I'm a bad pet owner or whatever you think, cause I guarantee you that probly all of you think that. Believe me if I had my drivers license I
would
have taken her to the vet. But we live out here in the country so it's just kinda hard to run everywhere and to the vet and everything. We gave her some penicillin and my mamaw and papaw are gonna take her to the vet tom. I could tell you how the whole thing happened but I'd probly just get flamed again. Oh yeah, thanks Junie B!
[Not Worthy]

Okay, a 13 year old. Last time I looked, a 13 year old had no say in how the house was run,or where the money was spent.

She can't drive,and even if she could find someone to drive her,what do you suggest she use for money? Vets don't treat snakebites for free.any vet I ever worked for,wouldn't even touch the dog without making sure you could pay.

So,you took a dog that had been hit by a car to the vet,you were 10,so of course you couldn't pay. What do you think the vet did with that dog?He more than lkely euthanized it,he wasn't going to give expensive care and treatment for free.

When I was 13,I had a brain,and could think for myself,too,but I WAS JUST 13, and my parents controlled the money. I'm sure she WANT'S to take the dog to the vet,but what is she supposed to do? Steal money from her mom's purse,take the car,and drive to the Vet?

Okay, a 13 year old. Last time I looked, a 13 year old had no say in how the house was run,or where the money was spent.

She can't drive,and even if she could find someone to drive her,what do you suggest she use for money? Vets don't treat snakebites for free.any vet I ever worked for,wouldn't even touch the dog without making sure you could pay.

So,you took a dog that had been hit by a car to the vet,you were 10,so of course you couldn't pay. What do you think the vet did with that dog?He more than lkely euthanized it,he wasn't going to give expensive care and treatment for free.

When I was 13,I had a brain,and could think for myself,too,but I WAS JUST 13, and my parents controlled the money. I'm sure she WANT'S to take the dog to the vet,but what is she supposed to do? Steal money from her mom's purse,take the car,and drive to the Vet?

quote:

Originally posted by equicrzy:

you know what?.. the vet saved the dog and it even had to have a leg amputated... and you know, I DIDNT CARE WHO WAS GOING TO PAY FOR IT! I JUST TOOK THE DOG TO THE VET.. let the grown-ups worry about the $$$ LATER... and sorry but vets DO treat snake bites...

basically, if you cannot provide the proper care for your animals, DONT HAVE THEM.

quote:

Originally posted by equicrzy:

you know what?.. the vet saved the dog and it even had to have a leg amputated... and you know, I DIDNT CARE WHO WAS GOING TO PAY FOR IT! I JUST TOOK THE DOG TO THE VET.. let the grown-ups worry about the $$$ LATER... and sorry but vets DO treat snake bites...

basically, if you cannot provide the proper care for your animals, DONT HAVE THEM.

I said, they don't treat snakebites for FREE!!!

How can you compare your situation to hers,anyway.

You didn't mention who ended up paying for the dog you rescued,probably NOT your parent,though,huh?

So,someone DID pay,good, but her parents probably wouldn't,even if she did manage to get it to the vet,because they had already said no.

[ 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: equicrzy ]

I said, they don't treat snakebites for FREE!!!

How can you compare your situation to hers,anyway.

You didn't mention who ended up paying for the dog you rescued,probably NOT your parent,though,huh?

So,someone DID pay,good, but her parents probably wouldn't,even if she did manage to get it to the vet,because they had already said no.

[ 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: equicrzy ]

Ya know I have been following along with this post from the beginning and I must say some people on here are pretty rude in their tones and manner of handling ttopics such as this.

Ok, we all KNOW the vet should have been called in the beginning. Once that is said to the OP what is the point in bashing her/him??

Does it make you feel better to completely downgrade and be rude and callous to someone because they screwed up and you would have never done such a thing???

And Bumper where do you get off telling someone to watch their language in a post and then your very next post contains an inappropriate word on a topic where a child is involved??

I think alot of people have been going overboard on this topic.

Sure the OP made a wrong decision, haven't we all?? I don't agree at all with the entire situation of not having a vet contacted at all but honestly what can we do aside from tell the OP to call a vet? Geesh people come on [Roll Eyes]

got flame suit ready along with the extinguisher, oh and my big girl panties are on also

[ 08-22-2007, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Tatertots ]

Ya know I have been following along with this post from the beginning and I must say some people on here are pretty rude in their tones and manner of handling ttopics such as this.

Ok, we all KNOW the vet should have been called in the beginning. Once that is said to the OP what is the point in bashing her/him??

Does it make you feel better to completely downgrade and be rude and callous to someone because they screwed up and you would have never done such a thing???

And Bumper where do you get off telling someone to watch their language in a post and then your very next post contains an inappropriate word on a topic where a child is involved??

I think alot of people have been going overboard on this topic.

Sure the OP made a wrong decision, haven't we all?? I don't agree at all with the entire situation of not having a vet contacted at all but honestly what can we do aside from tell the OP to call a vet? Geesh people come on [Roll Eyes]

got flame suit ready along with the extinguisher, oh and my big girl panties are on also

[ 08-22-2007, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Tatertots ]