Magnum Girl

Bad Leg Injury!

If I were to say, I would definalty not say that it's superficial. Now, I say this, understanding that thus far, all yall have seen is a picture taken off of a camera phone.

We stopped in at the vets today to pick up Magnum and to visit Gabe. (Magnum just got some stitches in his chest and was released last night, just the lady left with her trailer...)

So far, the vet has stitched some salvagable skin back on at the top, and removed most of what had already lost blood flow. Since Gabe is staying there this weekend, the vet will continue to trim off tissue as it dies. He cleaned it really good too (of course) and updated the tetnus vaccine.

Now, if anyone has ideas for keeping a 3 and 4 year old occupied while they're on stall rest, let me know!!

Pictures from today...

We found the culprit for Gabe's injury, one of the gates. It wasn't secured back properly and blew most of the way shut.

-

-

And now Gabe, from this morning, some are better than others, but they all kind of show something a little different...

-

-

-

his puddle of blood...

-

And I think this one really shows it best...

-

the strip of skin at the top is what the vet was able to stitch back on.

I'll be sure to update as there is new information/pictures...

If I were to say, I would definalty not say that it's superficial. Now, I say this, understanding that thus far, all yall have seen is a picture taken off of a camera phone.

We stopped in at the vets today to pick up Magnum and to visit Gabe. (Magnum just got some stitches in his chest and was released last night, just the lady left with her trailer...)

So far, the vet has stitched some salvagable skin back on at the top, and removed most of what had already lost blood flow. Since Gabe is staying there this weekend, the vet will continue to trim off tissue as it dies. He cleaned it really good too (of course) and updated the tetnus vaccine.

Now, if anyone has ideas for keeping a 3 and 4 year old occupied while they're on stall rest, let me know!!

Pictures from today...

We found the culprit for Gabe's injury, one of the gates. It wasn't secured back properly and blew most of the way shut.

-

-

And now Gabe, from this morning, some are better than others, but they all kind of show something a little different...

-

-

-

his puddle of blood...

-

And I think this one really shows it best...

-

the strip of skin at the top is what the vet was able to stitch back on.

I'll be sure to update as there is new information/pictures...

Oh lord, Magnum Girl!!! [Eek!] I'm glad that you found him fairly quickly and that the vet has a good prognosis for him. I looks much worse with the real camera pics.

As for bordom; try the lick-its, or there is a thing called a horse pacifier (I can get the real name if you want me to), there are also those feed balls that hang and they have to try to eat them......poor, poor babies!!! [Angel][Huggy]

Oh lord, Magnum Girl!!! [Eek!] I'm glad that you found him fairly quickly and that the vet has a good prognosis for him. I looks much worse with the real camera pics.

As for bordom; try the lick-its, or there is a thing called a horse pacifier (I can get the real name if you want me to), there are also those feed balls that hang and they have to try to eat them......poor, poor babies!!! [Angel][Huggy]

Magnum that is the most horrendous injury I have ever seen.

Looks like he probably impaled himself on the sliding post and pulled away and degloved the skin away from the flesh.

Wow those are hard to look at.

Magnum that is the most horrendous injury I have ever seen.

Looks like he probably impaled himself on the sliding post and pulled away and degloved the skin away from the flesh.

Wow those are hard to look at.

Oh my god. I wish you and your friend all the best. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you, especially Gabe. Is his pain under control? I see where he would have gotten himself impaled but can't imagine how he could end up tearing that much skin completely off in such a big area.

Oh my god. I wish you and your friend all the best. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you, especially Gabe. Is his pain under control? I see where he would have gotten himself impaled but can't imagine how he could end up tearing that much skin completely off in such a big area.

That really looks horrible. I am praying for your horse to heal quickly and get some skin back on fast. Not trying to be funny, or critical but it reminds me of when you see the horse statue or picture with the muscle system on it like in vet school or encyclopedias.

Have a GREAT weekend.

That really looks horrible. I am praying for your horse to heal quickly and get some skin back on fast. Not trying to be funny, or critical but it reminds me of when you see the horse statue or picture with the muscle system on it like in vet school or encyclopedias.

Have a GREAT weekend.

OMG! That has got to be the most greusome thing I have ever seen. I feel so bad for his owner, she must be sick over this! Good thoughts of complete healing coming his way!

OMG! That has got to be the most greusome thing I have ever seen. I feel so bad for his owner, she must be sick over this! Good thoughts of complete healing coming his way!

Get some Underwoods and a can of Baking Powder. I've seen worse, much worse and they healed fast and with far less scaring than you could have imagined. Some had much more muscle dammage than that. This is the kind of injury that it shines best on.

Let me know if you can't find it. I would not put ANYTHING else on it.

Get some Underwoods and a can of Baking Powder. I've seen worse, much worse and they healed fast and with far less scaring than you could have imagined. Some had much more muscle dammage than that. This is the kind of injury that it shines best on.

Let me know if you can't find it. I would not put ANYTHING else on it.

I think if you just follow orders and don't do anything crazy (ie OTC crap), your horse is going to be fine. With horses, it always looks worse before it looks better. I have seen way worse.

Obviously, wishing you the best. But don't panic.

I think if you just follow orders and don't do anything crazy (ie OTC crap), your horse is going to be fine. With horses, it always looks worse before it looks better. I have seen way worse.

Obviously, wishing you the best. But don't panic.

I worry every day with my horse... I am greatful you were able to get him help so quick.. I am sorry to see this happened. (**** of a fence.. man) I truley pray he gets a lot better..

I dont know if this owuld help, but the equaide company might be willing to help if they can use your pictures of healing.. they have an awesome product.. you can check it out at www.equaide.com they have some testimonials there that might help.. I think ti will be some time befor that can be used, but I think when it is time it would help regrow the skin, and prevent a lot of scarring.. I have used it a lot, and it works!

I personally would have run headlong into the fields crying like a kid if i saw that.. be strong and keep your chin up..

I worry every day with my horse... I am greatful you were able to get him help so quick.. I am sorry to see this happened. (**** of a fence.. man) I truley pray he gets a lot better..

I dont know if this owuld help, but the equaide company might be willing to help if they can use your pictures of healing.. they have an awesome product.. you can check it out at www.equaide.com they have some testimonials there that might help.. I think ti will be some time befor that can be used, but I think when it is time it would help regrow the skin, and prevent a lot of scarring.. I have used it a lot, and it works!

I personally would have run headlong into the fields crying like a kid if i saw that.. be strong and keep your chin up..

Here are some links to Buddy Underwoods Horse Medicine.? It is NOT OTC CRAP!!? There is not a Vet in this part of the Country that does not sell it because it works better on flesh wounds than anything else they have .? When you use it, you don't even use antibiotics after 3 or 4 days and the wound heals without a fraction of the weeping and mess.

I saw this horse when he was brought to the Sulphur Sale in 1991. The Sale Barn owner bought his for killer price and gave him to Buddy. He healed him up and they went back to roping on him.

Here is a horse with a hip torn up much worse. You could see the bones. The horse healed up sound.

Show this to your Vet!!!

Here are some links to Buddy Underwoods Horse Medicine.? It is NOT OTC CRAP!!? There is not a Vet in this part of the Country that does not sell it because it works better on flesh wounds than anything else they have .? When you use it, you don't even use antibiotics after 3 or 4 days and the wound heals without a fraction of the weeping and mess.

I saw this horse when he was brought to the Sulphur Sale in 1991. The Sale Barn owner bought his for killer price and gave him to Buddy. He healed him up and they went back to roping on him.

Here is a horse with a hip torn up much worse. You could see the bones. The horse healed up sound.

Show this to your Vet!!!

The thing is Cheri, proud flesh is rarely a problem above the legs because of the difference in healing.

On the lower extremities, proud flesh can be a problem. But up high like that, it rarely is.

I would recommend that the OP follow her veterinarian's recommendations for this wound rather than start trying OTC stuff that makes no sense for THIS kind of wound.

On the upper body, proud flesh is almost NEVER an issue.

The thing is Cheri, proud flesh is rarely a problem above the legs because of the difference in healing.

On the lower extremities, proud flesh can be a problem. But up high like that, it rarely is.

I would recommend that the OP follow her veterinarian's recommendations for this wound rather than start trying OTC stuff that makes no sense for THIS kind of wound.

On the upper body, proud flesh is almost NEVER an issue.

This stuff works the best for wounds above the knee and hock. A lot of people use it below and it wors OK, but I prefer a little different protocol for those wounds. Look at the links I put in. ALL of those wounds are exactly like this one only worse. This is what it works best on.

If you read the letters that people have sent to Buddy, you will see how many horses were initially screwed up by the Vets that treated them first.

I don't know why this stuff works so good, but I can tell you that most of the Vets around here have people use it.

Not one flesh or large skin wound in a hundred stays sewn up unless the vet was there minutes after it happened. Or, the horse chews them up before they heal. This stuff does not hurt or burn to put on and you can just turn horses out when you use it and all you have to do is put it on the wound 2 or 3 times a day.

This stuff works the best for wounds above the knee and hock. A lot of people use it below and it wors OK, but I prefer a little different protocol for those wounds. Look at the links I put in. ALL of those wounds are exactly like this one only worse. This is what it works best on.

If you read the letters that people have sent to Buddy, you will see how many horses were initially screwed up by the Vets that treated them first.

I don't know why this stuff works so good, but I can tell you that most of the Vets around here have people use it.

Not one flesh or large skin wound in a hundred stays sewn up unless the vet was there minutes after it happened. Or, the horse chews them up before they heal. This stuff does not hurt or burn to put on and you can just turn horses out when you use it and all you have to do is put it on the wound 2 or 3 times a day.