Magnum Girl

Bad Leg Injury!

I have to say ...I have used Underwoods Horse Medicine that Cheri mentioned and ITs WONDERFUL stuff!!! Just MY opinion [Not Worthy] I will not be without it.

I have to say ...I have used Underwoods Horse Medicine that Cheri mentioned and ITs WONDERFUL stuff!!! Just MY opinion [Not Worthy] I will not be without it.

quote:

Now, if anyone has ideas for keeping a 3 and 4 year old occupied while they're on stall rest, let me know!!

Products like "Calm N Cool", with Vitamin B and Valerian Root.... Jolly Balls... orange Road Cones.... a plastic milk jug with rocks in it hung from the ceiling... [smiley Wavey]

One day after mine came back from leg surgery he was ticked off at being locked in on hot summer days. It was awful to see! [Me Cry] He was rearing and striking at the outside door and screaming in frustration... But, they do adjust, and sometimes seem to know that being kept still is best for them [Not Worthy]

Lots of grooming, pets and love can also help [Huggy]

What a horrible injury, your horse will be in my thoughts and prayers [Angel][Angel][Angel]

quote:

Now, if anyone has ideas for keeping a 3 and 4 year old occupied while they're on stall rest, let me know!!

Products like "Calm N Cool", with Vitamin B and Valerian Root.... Jolly Balls... orange Road Cones.... a plastic milk jug with rocks in it hung from the ceiling... [smiley Wavey]

One day after mine came back from leg surgery he was ticked off at being locked in on hot summer days. It was awful to see! [Me Cry] He was rearing and striking at the outside door and screaming in frustration... But, they do adjust, and sometimes seem to know that being kept still is best for them [Not Worthy]

Lots of grooming, pets and love can also help [Huggy]

What a horrible injury, your horse will be in my thoughts and prayers [Angel][Angel][Angel]

I have also used Underwoods on such wounds, as recommended by my vet. It DOES do a wonderful job of keeping the wound clean and moist which is necessary for good healing.

I have also used Underwoods on such wounds, as recommended by my vet. It DOES do a wonderful job of keeping the wound clean and moist which is necessary for good healing.

I'm also an Underwoods user, have been for several years. I've never had wound quite that horrific but had some leg ones to the bone that it did work great on.

I have some friends that had a weanling filly get tore up with most of the neck and shoulder exposed. This filly healed up fabulously.

It really works. I sell it at the business I work at. Ordered 24 bottles 6 months ago and am down to 5. I have to oder more. [big Grin]

I would use my vets instructions but then when that horse comes home, its a mtter of keeping it moist and clean , which Underwoods does as it builds a barrier under the baking powder.

I've had horses that I doctor right in the field without being haltered. They don't mind it at all.

Good luck with your horse and do what you feel comfortable with. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

I'm also an Underwoods user, have been for several years. I've never had wound quite that horrific but had some leg ones to the bone that it did work great on.

I have some friends that had a weanling filly get tore up with most of the neck and shoulder exposed. This filly healed up fabulously.

It really works. I sell it at the business I work at. Ordered 24 bottles 6 months ago and am down to 5. I have to oder more. [big Grin]

I would use my vets instructions but then when that horse comes home, its a mtter of keeping it moist and clean , which Underwoods does as it builds a barrier under the baking powder.

I've had horses that I doctor right in the field without being haltered. They don't mind it at all.

Good luck with your horse and do what you feel comfortable with. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

My goodness! It blows my mind that horses can get injuries like that and it's just business as usual for them. Wow. I hope he gets better quickly.

[Angel]

My goodness! It blows my mind that horses can get injuries like that and it's just business as usual for them. Wow. I hope he gets better quickly.

[Angel]

Wow, However I think this guy will be fine. This is the kind of bad injury that will be a distant memory soon. Good luck-what a funny boy he must be.

Wow, However I think this guy will be fine. This is the kind of bad injury that will be a distant memory soon. Good luck-what a funny boy he must be.

I have heard great things about Underwoods, and passed along some information to my friend about it. She's going to ask the vet about going that route tomorrow when we go to pick him up. We will do whatever he thinks is best in the end though. I will update probably with new pictures and a veternary plan of action tomorrow, hopefully.

My question is this- I'm going to pick him up tomorrow in my two horse straight load trailer. The trailer is for sale and has a wood interior, so I'm not entirely to keen on him standing right up against the wall and getting gooey innards on it. So, I'm wondering if it would be best to just load him straight with the divider, on the left side. Or hook back the divider so that he can stand diagnally, but still tied on the left. Completely remove the divider and tie on the left. Completely remove the divider and tie on the right. Or tie back the divider diagnally and tie on the right. I'm not real keen on using the right side of my trailer, since it's a little truck/trailer and I don't like the weight being over there. But I can cope if that's what would be best [Question]

I have heard great things about Underwoods, and passed along some information to my friend about it. She's going to ask the vet about going that route tomorrow when we go to pick him up. We will do whatever he thinks is best in the end though. I will update probably with new pictures and a veternary plan of action tomorrow, hopefully.

My question is this- I'm going to pick him up tomorrow in my two horse straight load trailer. The trailer is for sale and has a wood interior, so I'm not entirely to keen on him standing right up against the wall and getting gooey innards on it. So, I'm wondering if it would be best to just load him straight with the divider, on the left side. Or hook back the divider so that he can stand diagnally, but still tied on the left. Completely remove the divider and tie on the left. Completely remove the divider and tie on the right. Or tie back the divider diagnally and tie on the right. I'm not real keen on using the right side of my trailer, since it's a little truck/trailer and I don't like the weight being over there. But I can cope if that's what would be best [Question]

quote:

Originally posted by Magnum Girl:

My question is this- I'm going to pick him up tomorrow in my two horse straight load trailer. The trailer is for sale and has a wood interior, so I'm not entirely to keen on him standing right up against the wall and getting gooey innards on it. So, I'm wondering if it would be best to just load him straight with the divider, on the left side. Or hook back the divider so that he can stand diagnally, but still tied on the left. Completely remove the divider and tie on the left. Completely remove the divider and tie on the right. Or tie back the divider diagnally and tie on the right. I'm not real keen on using the right side of my trailer, since it's a little truck/trailer and I don't like the weight being over there. But I can cope if that's what would be best
[Question]

I would tie the divider over. He will lean against the divider on which ever hip is slanted toward the back door. (at least mine will lean on the slant divider with their left hip in a regular slant trailer. Could you completely remove the divider, that would allow some more room?

If he happens to goo up the wall, just hose it off.

I hope he has a quick recovery.

quote:

Originally posted by Magnum Girl:

My question is this- I'm going to pick him up tomorrow in my two horse straight load trailer. The trailer is for sale and has a wood interior, so I'm not entirely to keen on him standing right up against the wall and getting gooey innards on it. So, I'm wondering if it would be best to just load him straight with the divider, on the left side. Or hook back the divider so that he can stand diagnally, but still tied on the left. Completely remove the divider and tie on the left. Completely remove the divider and tie on the right. Or tie back the divider diagnally and tie on the right. I'm not real keen on using the right side of my trailer, since it's a little truck/trailer and I don't like the weight being over there. But I can cope if that's what would be best
[Question]

I would tie the divider over. He will lean against the divider on which ever hip is slanted toward the back door. (at least mine will lean on the slant divider with their left hip in a regular slant trailer. Could you completely remove the divider, that would allow some more room?

If he happens to goo up the wall, just hose it off.

I hope he has a quick recovery.

Well, the good news is that I didn't have to worry about getting his insides in my trailer, or how he was going to ride. He absolutly refused to get in my trailer. Gabe fought us hard for over an hour to get him in there. We pulled out all the stops: butt ropes, the "magical broom" that got Magnum in the other day, two doses of different sedations, large men practically picking up his hind end, and moving each of his feet individually. Finally called the girl who hauled them in the first night to see if she could bring her trailer. And after about 3 seconds worth of butt rope pressure he hopped into that one. Boys. [Duh] but we did indeed get him back to the barn and settled in.

Here are his pictures from today, day 5.

-

-

-

And a video... I didn't even notice that he was lame until I watched this video...

-

The vet's instructions are to:

*cold hose the area twice daily

*apply some sort of spray (I will have to write it down tomorrow) to the area after hosing

*oral anti-biotics

*lots and lots of stall rest

*Bute as needed, but he hasn't had any since the first night

[ 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Magnum Girl ]

Well, the good news is that I didn't have to worry about getting his insides in my trailer, or how he was going to ride. He absolutly refused to get in my trailer. Gabe fought us hard for over an hour to get him in there. We pulled out all the stops: butt ropes, the "magical broom" that got Magnum in the other day, two doses of different sedations, large men practically picking up his hind end, and moving each of his feet individually. Finally called the girl who hauled them in the first night to see if she could bring her trailer. And after about 3 seconds worth of butt rope pressure he hopped into that one. Boys. [Duh] but we did indeed get him back to the barn and settled in.

Here are his pictures from today, day 5.

-

-

-

And a video... I didn't even notice that he was lame until I watched this video...

-

The vet's instructions are to:

*cold hose the area twice daily

*apply some sort of spray (I will have to write it down tomorrow) to the area after hosing

*oral anti-biotics

*lots and lots of stall rest

*Bute as needed, but he hasn't had any since the first night

[ 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Magnum Girl ]

I feel faint. I have never in my life seen such a large wound. I hope he is kept as comfortable as can be during his recovery. Please keep us updated! I'd like to see him AFTER he has healed.

Please excuse my ignorance here...How much of the injury is his skin, his fatty tissue & his muscle? Lacking any medical knowledge at all, how bad is this? Certainly looks horrific!

Any idea how long it takes to recover from such a wound?

I feel faint. I have never in my life seen such a large wound. I hope he is kept as comfortable as can be during his recovery. Please keep us updated! I'd like to see him AFTER he has healed.

Please excuse my ignorance here...How much of the injury is his skin, his fatty tissue & his muscle? Lacking any medical knowledge at all, how bad is this? Certainly looks horrific!

Any idea how long it takes to recover from such a wound?