Magnum Girl

Bad Leg Injury!

I caught on to this a little late, but have been following his progress for a while. Its looking so much better now that all of the dead stuff is off. Hopefully opening it up to the air will also help clear up that infection. It does look like some of the borders might need to be trimmed of dead stuff. However the flesh that was under there looks so healthy, he's on his way now!

I caught on to this a little late, but have been following his progress for a while. Its looking so much better now that all of the dead stuff is off. Hopefully opening it up to the air will also help clear up that infection. It does look like some of the borders might need to be trimmed of dead stuff. However the flesh that was under there looks so healthy, he's on his way now!

I would ask if there is ANYTHING you can put on it to keep it from getting "crusty"/scabbie and iching. Even something simple like vasiline that you can really slather on and lightly wipe off the top layers daily and reapply to keep it moist. The drier it is the ichier it is, and the more he will rub and the increased chance of "over rubbing" by accident making another booboo.(maybe) Looks way better without all the crusties though. [Wink]

I would ask if there is ANYTHING you can put on it to keep it from getting "crusty"/scabbie and iching. Even something simple like vasiline that you can really slather on and lightly wipe off the top layers daily and reapply to keep it moist. The drier it is the ichier it is, and the more he will rub and the increased chance of "over rubbing" by accident making another booboo.(maybe) Looks way better without all the crusties though. [Wink]

[Not Worthy] Simply amazing! [Not Worthy]

I think he's itching mostly because A). the area is really dry and B). there is healing occuring. I could be wrong, but usually when things are healing they are itchy and cause some discomfort.

Keep up the great work and thanks for keeping us updated on his progress!

Sending more [Huggy][Huggy] and [Angel][Angel] your way!

[Not Worthy] Simply amazing! [Not Worthy]

I think he's itching mostly because A). the area is really dry and B). there is healing occuring. I could be wrong, but usually when things are healing they are itchy and cause some discomfort.

Keep up the great work and thanks for keeping us updated on his progress!

Sending more [Huggy][Huggy] and [Angel][Angel] your way!

Wow, his recovery has gone really well. You must keep updating us with pics.

Does he move any better than he did before?

Wow, his recovery has gone really well. You must keep updating us with pics.

Does he move any better than he did before?

WOW! I just read this whole post and dear lord! I give you kudo's! I would have been sick to my stomach! [Eek!][Eek!]

Anyway he's does look 1000x better. I hope things keep going as well as they have!!!!

[Huggy][Huggy][Huggy]

WOW! I just read this whole post and dear lord! I give you kudo's! I would have been sick to my stomach! [Eek!][Eek!]

Anyway he's does look 1000x better. I hope things keep going as well as they have!!!!

[Huggy][Huggy][Huggy]

We've starting putting him in a small pen outside on nice days, and he will run and jump and buck to the best of his abilities in that little area. The vet didn't make it out yesterday, so he will hopefully be out tomorrow. We're planning on asking him about just letting him have regular turn out since the muscle is healed and we're just waiting on skin growth. He's 100% sound and back to his normal self, with full range of motion in that leg. Which is good, because he needs his feet trimmed bad.

Since he scratched most of the dead stuff off, he hasn't been itching as much, I noticed that yesterday. So hopefully the itching has died down and he'll leave all the medicine and what not on there. I think that part of the grafted tissue is dead and I'm sure that the vet will clean up all the edges and whatnot when he's out and the poor boy is in his happy place. lol. I can't believe it's already been a month. Just, wow.

We've starting putting him in a small pen outside on nice days, and he will run and jump and buck to the best of his abilities in that little area. The vet didn't make it out yesterday, so he will hopefully be out tomorrow. We're planning on asking him about just letting him have regular turn out since the muscle is healed and we're just waiting on skin growth. He's 100% sound and back to his normal self, with full range of motion in that leg. Which is good, because he needs his feet trimmed bad.

Since he scratched most of the dead stuff off, he hasn't been itching as much, I noticed that yesterday. So hopefully the itching has died down and he'll leave all the medicine and what not on there. I think that part of the grafted tissue is dead and I'm sure that the vet will clean up all the edges and whatnot when he's out and the poor boy is in his happy place. lol. I can't believe it's already been a month. Just, wow.

Healing up process is always itchy, poor guy!

It looks SO much better now that the dead stuff is gone!

Y'all are doing a great job!!

Healing up process is always itchy, poor guy!

It looks SO much better now that the dead stuff is gone!

Y'all are doing a great job!!

All I can say is WOW,,sure looks good for only being 27 days. I bet he is so happy to be outside too,,,good for his mind.Glad to hear he is not limping anymore,sounds like he is well on his way to be all healed,,everyone is doing such a great job with him..Keep us all posted with pics,his progress is great.

All I can say is WOW,,sure looks good for only being 27 days. I bet he is so happy to be outside too,,,good for his mind.Glad to hear he is not limping anymore,sounds like he is well on his way to be all healed,,everyone is doing such a great job with him..Keep us all posted with pics,his progress is great.

Brittany had the vet out today... Got Gabe all sedated and in a happy place, got the stitches out and removed some of the dead tissue cut off. Part of the grafted skin had died so he removed that. He was really pleased with how it's going and said he was glad that we got a hold of some Underwoods to put on it. He's stopped itching it, so that's also good.

Here are today's pics... Day 30

-

-

-

[smiley Wavey]

Brittany had the vet out today... Got Gabe all sedated and in a happy place, got the stitches out and removed some of the dead tissue cut off. Part of the grafted skin had died so he removed that. He was really pleased with how it's going and said he was glad that we got a hold of some Underwoods to put on it. He's stopped itching it, so that's also good.

Here are today's pics... Day 30

-

-

-

[smiley Wavey]

I just saw this thread. I lived this a few years ago. We had a few boarders bring their horses in and didn't close the gate, it had the slide bar out, the colt ran thru and it caught him almost exact how your horse did. He looked like a science anatomy project, because you could see everything move, when he walked. We used Underwoods on it and it healed to a scar the size of a quarter, it actually looks like a brand as it has 2 zig zag lines branching out from the quarter sized area, so it looks like lightning bolt with a circle in the middle. I will see if I can dig up pics of him. The main difference in our horse was the vet didn't try to salvage any of the skin flaps. He was to worried about infection, so he debrided all the skin at the first appt. Which was about 45 minutes after the injury. Good luck, I think you are on a good path to a complete recovery.

I just saw this thread. I lived this a few years ago. We had a few boarders bring their horses in and didn't close the gate, it had the slide bar out, the colt ran thru and it caught him almost exact how your horse did. He looked like a science anatomy project, because you could see everything move, when he walked. We used Underwoods on it and it healed to a scar the size of a quarter, it actually looks like a brand as it has 2 zig zag lines branching out from the quarter sized area, so it looks like lightning bolt with a circle in the middle. I will see if I can dig up pics of him. The main difference in our horse was the vet didn't try to salvage any of the skin flaps. He was to worried about infection, so he debrided all the skin at the first appt. Which was about 45 minutes after the injury. Good luck, I think you are on a good path to a complete recovery.

It is absolutely amazing how much better it looks. Keep up the awesome work and keep the updates coming. We love to see the progress.

It is absolutely amazing how much better it looks. Keep up the awesome work and keep the updates coming. We love to see the progress.