Sign in to follow this  
lovetheduns

is yogurt safe for horses?

I was talking to a freind of mine and they give there mare and gelding yogurt instead of buying a probotic. They said it has the same stuff in it. So is it safe? Don' think i would feed it, but I didn't think it was safe for horses.

I was talking to a freind of mine and they give there mare and gelding yogurt instead of buying a probotic. They said it has the same stuff in it. So is it safe? Don' think i would feed it, but I didn't think it was safe for horses.

Yes.....my vets tell me that plain yogurt is fine. It's the same as feeding the probiotic......and much cheaper, right? Sometimes they recommend it for horses who have had intestinal distress (i.e. a bad colic, etc.) Not to be fed every day all year round....as I recall it's fed a week at a time.

Yes.....my vets tell me that plain yogurt is fine. It's the same as feeding the probiotic......and much cheaper, right? Sometimes they recommend it for horses who have had intestinal distress (i.e. a bad colic, etc.) Not to be fed every day all year round....as I recall it's fed a week at a time.

It's safe...but usually doesn't contain multiple cultures, nor is it as concentrated....

In a pinch if it were plain yogurt vs nothing, I'd use it. But I don't forsee many "probios emergencies" so I tend to stick with Fastrak or some such.

It's safe...but usually doesn't contain multiple cultures, nor is it as concentrated....

In a pinch if it were plain yogurt vs nothing, I'd use it. But I don't forsee many "probios emergencies" so I tend to stick with Fastrak or some such.

I've fed it before when I've had a sick horse or the feed store was out of Probios. I feed probiotics after worming. You can also use Jarrodolopholis from the health food store --tablespoon once a day.

One advantage to yogurt is that you know for a fact it's kept cool. With powdered probiotics some stores don't keep them in a fridge. I learned from an herbalist unless they're kept very cool, the bacteria don't survive so you're only getting a small amount of the good bacteria.

I've fed it before when I've had a sick horse or the feed store was out of Probios. I feed probiotics after worming. You can also use Jarrodolopholis from the health food store --tablespoon once a day.

One advantage to yogurt is that you know for a fact it's kept cool. With powdered probiotics some stores don't keep them in a fridge. I learned from an herbalist unless they're kept very cool, the bacteria don't survive so you're only getting a small amount of the good bacteria.

Yogurt only has one type of bacteria culture, so it falls real short of being good enough. Probiotics have the full spectrum needed.

Yogurt only has one type of bacteria culture, so it falls real short of being good enough. Probiotics have the full spectrum needed.

Probiotics are the best way to go, but one time when I wormed, the feed store was out of probiotics so I bought yogurt. It is the ONE thing that I could NOT get my gelding to eat. No way, no how, nose turned up, you are not getting that garbage in me attitude. [smile]

Probiotics are the best way to go, but one time when I wormed, the feed store was out of probiotics so I bought yogurt. It is the ONE thing that I could NOT get my gelding to eat. No way, no how, nose turned up, you are not getting that garbage in me attitude. [smile]

Yogurt wont do anything for the horse.

"No one has been able to show probiotics are effective in horses."

"Probiotics will probably be shown to be useful to horses, but probably only a few species of bacteria."

"Solid research proving probiotics to horses is missing".

Does yogurt have at least 100 to 500 billion colony forming units(CFUs)?

"An effective dosage level for horses has not yet been determined. It is suspected that adult horses probably need 100 to 500 billion CFUs."

"If the product, for example, has a mere 10 million CFUs per gram, then you will need to feed large quantities for your horse to receive the recommended dose."

Yogurt wont do anything for the horse.

"No one has been able to show probiotics are effective in horses."

"Probiotics will probably be shown to be useful to horses, but probably only a few species of bacteria."

"Solid research proving probiotics to horses is missing".

Does yogurt have at least 100 to 500 billion colony forming units(CFUs)?

"An effective dosage level for horses has not yet been determined. It is suspected that adult horses probably need 100 to 500 billion CFUs."

"If the product, for example, has a mere 10 million CFUs per gram, then you will need to feed large quantities for your horse to receive the recommended dose."

No one has been able to show probiotics are effective in horses."

I wouldn't say "no one", just no one with a name big enough to be listened to.

No one has been able to show probiotics are effective in horses."

I wouldn't say "no one", just no one with a name big enough to be listened to.

quote:

Originally posted by daphne:

Yogurt is safe for horses. It shouldn't cause them to colic. Dosing for medicinal probiotic levels may be a bit problematic. For most horses, there should be enough sugar in yogurt to attract their attention.

For those actually using probiotics, it is definitely a good idea to store them in a cool place (refrigerator) as it will definitely increase longevity of the bacteria. There should be storage and shelf life on the package.

quote:

Originally posted by daphne:

Yogurt is safe for horses. It shouldn't cause them to colic. Dosing for medicinal probiotic levels may be a bit problematic. For most horses, there should be enough sugar in yogurt to attract their attention.

For those actually using probiotics, it is definitely a good idea to store them in a cool place (refrigerator) as it will definitely increase longevity of the bacteria. There should be storage and shelf life on the package.

It is safe for horses because when I was watching a foal at the vet hospital last night, the vet tech had to give the foal yogurt every four hours.

It is safe for horses because when I was watching a foal at the vet hospital last night, the vet tech had to give the foal yogurt every four hours.

Yogurt aint safe for any creature because it just tastes BADDD. [Frown] Anything that tastes that bad is in all reality is good for you and more than likely wont hurt a horse if they will eat it. [Crazy]

Yogurt aint safe for any creature because it just tastes BADDD. [Frown] Anything that tastes that bad is in all reality is good for you and more than likely wont hurt a horse if they will eat it. [Crazy]

quote:

Originally posted by Silk:

I didn't realize probiotics needed to be kept cool. What is the temp range for it?

The packaging should have a storage range, but refrigeration temps are safe.

quote:

Originally posted by Silk:

I didn't realize probiotics needed to be kept cool. What is the temp range for it?

The packaging should have a storage range, but refrigeration temps are safe.