Sign in to follow this  
rallen

Fly Spray Recipes

This is what I have use it every summer!!

4oz Water

2oz Witch Hazel

1oz White Vinegar

1oz Aloe Vera Juice

*Blend all together

Then add:

1oz Sweet Almond Oil

3 drops Citronella or any of the following

Cedar&Lavendar,Marigold,Spearmint,Ginger

Add pinch of dry mustard powder

Another one is:

1c Dawn detergent

3c Water

1c White Vinegar

1c Skin So Soft(Avon)

6 Drops Citronella

Let's see some more!! [big Grin]

[ 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: chevygurlz712002 ]

4oz Water

2oz Witch Hazel

1oz White Vinegar

1oz Aloe Vera Juice

*Blend all together

Then add:

1oz Sweet Almond Oil

Add pinch of dry mustard powder

Another one is:

1c Dawn detergent

3c Water

1c White Vinegar

1c Skin So Soft(Avon)

6 Drops Citronella

Let's see some more!! [big Grin]

[ 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM: Message edited by: chevygurlz712002 ]

I use what my mom taught me,

1 part pinesol, to 6 parts water, in a spray bottem..

1 gallon vinager per 50 gallons water once a week! in the water barrel!

I dont have water bugs, and I dont have much for flies landing on my horses.. I do also keep a few barrels with fishies as the horses seem to like both the vinager water and fresh water too!

I use what my mom taught me,

1 part pinesol, to 6 parts water, in a spray bottem..

1 gallon vinager per 50 gallons water once a week! in the water barrel!

I dont have water bugs, and I dont have much for flies landing on my horses.. I do also keep a few barrels with fishies as the horses seem to like both the vinager water and fresh water too!

Quote:

4oz Water

2oz Witch Hazel

1oz White Vinegar

1oz Aloe Vera Juice

*Blend all together

Then add:

1oz Sweet Almond Oil

Add pinch of dry mustard powder Unquote:

This sounds more like a salad dressing than a fly spray [Razz]

Last year the vet in TN recommended diluted PineSol & Citronella oil. I really don't think anything worked because of all of the cattle. When you have 300 head of cattle the poor horses really didn't have a chance.

This year I'm going to try it since it is only my two horses and the cattle on the property aren't too near and aren't as plentiful.

I do like the Equus Marigold Spray. That is what I used in CA and it worked well. I also could saturate my horses and not worry about it being the least bit toxic.

Quote:

4oz Water

2oz Witch Hazel

1oz White Vinegar

1oz Aloe Vera Juice

*Blend all together

Then add:

1oz Sweet Almond Oil

Add pinch of dry mustard powder Unquote:

This sounds more like a salad dressing than a fly spray [Razz]

Last year the vet in TN recommended diluted PineSol & Citronella oil. I really don't think anything worked because of all of the cattle. When you have 300 head of cattle the poor horses really didn't have a chance.

This year I'm going to try it since it is only my two horses and the cattle on the property aren't too near and aren't as plentiful.

I do like the Equus Marigold Spray. That is what I used in CA and it worked well. I also could saturate my horses and not worry about it being the least bit toxic.

I have heard that a mixture of listerene and water works great.I cannot verify cause I bought fly spray last season.I do know that generic mouth wash does work on dry spots though.applied once a day

I have heard that a mixture of listerene and water works great.I cannot verify cause I bought fly spray last season.I do know that generic mouth wash does work on dry spots though.applied once a day

I have a really good recipe.. but I don't measure.. I just use a little Citronella essential oil, a little Eucalyptus essential oil, a decent amount of vinegar, white or apple cider, a bit of baby oil and the rest water. I mix it right in the spray bottle.. if anyone is interested.. PM me and I will work out the exact amounts. This really works.

I have a really good recipe.. but I don't measure.. I just use a little Citronella essential oil, a little Eucalyptus essential oil, a decent amount of vinegar, white or apple cider, a bit of baby oil and the rest water. I mix it right in the spray bottle.. if anyone is interested.. PM me and I will work out the exact amounts. This really works.

man, I tried EVERYTHING bio-friendly last year.

the pine sol, marigold, listerene, skin-so-soft, vinegar, Natures defense (Gentle blend of Citronella and other essential oils. Use as an alternative to chemical fly sprays http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pg...2c-7a6f74bc46b3 )

and some of them seemed like they worked for about 1 minute.

I was constantly spraying my horse, and It just got to the point where they didnt work AT ALL.

my poor horse couldnt work because of constantly getting bit by something. and was litterally dripping and goo-ey with all this cr@p.... at one point she was SO covered with misquitos that she almost bucked me off, but, instead we hauled a$$ back to the barn because she was just getting eaten alive.

no thanks, I want to be able to actually train my horse this year, and they just cant pay attention when they are constantly getting bitten.

this year Im back to good ole chemicals I like this one http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PG...92-00b0d0204ae5

[ 04-03-2008, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: jumpin_horses ]

man, I tried EVERYTHING bio-friendly last year.

the pine sol, marigold, listerene, skin-so-soft, vinegar, Natures defense (Gentle blend of Citronella and other essential oils. Use as an alternative to chemical fly sprays http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pg...2c-7a6f74bc46b3 )

and some of them seemed like they worked for about 1 minute.

I was constantly spraying my horse, and It just got to the point where they didnt work AT ALL.

my poor horse couldnt work because of constantly getting bit by something. and was litterally dripping and goo-ey with all this cr@p.... at one point she was SO covered with misquitos that she almost bucked me off, but, instead we hauled a$$ back to the barn because she was just getting eaten alive.

no thanks, I want to be able to actually train my horse this year, and they just cant pay attention when they are constantly getting bitten.

this year Im back to good ole chemicals I like this one http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PG...92-00b0d0204ae5

[ 04-03-2008, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: jumpin_horses ]

Just wanted to add that many horses may have problems with oil-based fly sprays, either homemade or commmercial. If your horse has a reaction to fly spray, check to see if there is oil in it.

Personally, my horses don't have problems with oil, but many do.

Just wanted to add that many horses may have problems with oil-based fly sprays, either homemade or commmercial. If your horse has a reaction to fly spray, check to see if there is oil in it.

Personally, my horses don't have problems with oil, but many do.

The active ingredients in most fly sprays is either pyrethrin, permethrin or cypermethrin. Permethrin and cypermethrin are synthetic versions of pyrethrin. Does anyone know where pyrethrin comes from?...

Marigolds and Chrysanthemums. Horrible stuff there huh? I will have to say that it is toxic to fish...and of course bugs. I really cringe when I hear the Pine Sol versions. On the label, it says to wear gloves an rinse if you get it on human skin. I have to feel for the poor horse that wear it.

Some of the chemicals in Skin So Soft and some of the other commonly used items in homemade fly sprays are worse for the horse than the commercially produced ones.

Here is the sad part. None of them work well. You just have to find the one the works the best for your horse.

My next trick to try is for me to wear one of the thermocell things the hunters use when they are in the woods. Can they be worn? hmmmm

The active ingredients in most fly sprays is either pyrethrin, permethrin or cypermethrin. Permethrin and cypermethrin are synthetic versions of pyrethrin. Does anyone know where pyrethrin comes from?...

Marigolds and Chrysanthemums. Horrible stuff there huh? I will have to say that it is toxic to fish...and of course bugs. I really cringe when I hear the Pine Sol versions. On the label, it says to wear gloves an rinse if you get it on human skin. I have to feel for the poor horse that wear it.

Some of the chemicals in Skin So Soft and some of the other commonly used items in homemade fly sprays are worse for the horse than the commercially produced ones.

Here is the sad part. None of them work well. You just have to find the one the works the best for your horse.

My next trick to try is for me to wear one of the thermocell things the hunters use when they are in the woods. Can they be worn? hmmmm

I heard that Geranium oil is a good fly repellent, although I don't have any first hand experiences.

When you use any kind of essential oil be sure to dilute it in either a base oil like almond oil or you can also use warm water if you don't want to use an oil base. Add only a few drops (10-20, okay a little more that a few [Wink] ) to a bottle of warm water, shake and spray. A little goes a long way.

Good luck!

I heard that Geranium oil is a good fly repellent, although I don't have any first hand experiences.

When you use any kind of essential oil be sure to dilute it in either a base oil like almond oil or you can also use warm water if you don't want to use an oil base. Add only a few drops (10-20, okay a little more that a few [Wink] ) to a bottle of warm water, shake and spray. A little goes a long way.

Good luck!

Im wondering if anyone has used Avon's Skin so Soft oil for flys and such??

Im going too try this recipe and see if it works..

1oz citronella oil

2oz skin so soft

1cup vinegar

1cup of water

add it to a spray bottle,and shake it before useing.Anyone tried this yet?

1oz citronella oil

2oz skin so soft

1cup vinegar

1cup of water

quote:

Originally posted by Legendsmum:

1oz citronella oil

2oz skin so soft

1cup vinegar

1cup of water

tried it.. didnt work...... made my horse soft though.... [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Legendsmum:

1oz citronella oil

2oz skin so soft

1cup vinegar

1cup of water

tried it.. didnt work...... made my horse soft though.... [big Grin]