Sign in to follow this  
mossyoak

Wintering- Horse loses a lot of weight

What do I do? She did better this year than last, probably because the horse that kept running her off her feed is gone. BUT... She still keeps losing too much weight in the winter. [Confused]

Is there anything I can feed her or do for her that will help? [Question]

My friend (the owner) wants to build some stalls in the cow barn for her and the other horse, I think that will really help. [Huggy]

Thanks in advance!!!

What do I do? She did better this year than last, probably because the horse that kept running her off her feed is gone. BUT... She still keeps losing too much weight in the winter. [Confused]

Is there anything I can feed her or do for her that will help? [Question]

My friend (the owner) wants to build some stalls in the cow barn for her and the other horse, I think that will really help. [Huggy]

Thanks in advance!!!

Blanketing, Up her hay..does she have hay 24/7? If not, how much hay IS she getting? You can add beet pulp and grain to her diet...or simply just beet pulp. You can also try adding oil, such as corn or Cocosoya oil to her feed as a top dressing.

Not enough information.

How old is she?

What are you feeding during the winter?

What kind of shape are ger teeth in?

How often do you deworm and with what products?

Does she get any kind of a Vitamin Supplement in the winter.

Does she get grass in the summer?

Is that the difference between summer and winter feed?

Blanketing, Up her hay..does she have hay 24/7? If not, how much hay IS she getting? You can add beet pulp and grain to her diet...or simply just beet pulp. You can also try adding oil, such as corn or Cocosoya oil to her feed as a top dressing.

Not enough information.

How old is she?

quote:

Originally posted by Cheri Wolfe:

Not enough information.

How old is she?

She's 23.

I think she got grain all winter, we tried beet pulp last year but it didn't help her any.

We need to get a vet out to check her teeth, my friends farrier also suggested that, getting her teeth floated.

I don't know when my friend deworms her, I should know that but I don't. I do know that she uses SafeGuard.

I don't know what/if she's getting any vitamins, but I guess that could be factor. What should I give her that will help?

She is on pasture all the time, and she has hay all the time also.

Thanks for any and all advice. [Huggy]

quote:

Originally posted by Cheri Wolfe:

Not enough information.

How old is she?

She's 23.

I think she got grain all winter, we tried beet pulp last year but it didn't help her any.

We need to get a vet out to check her teeth, my friends farrier also suggested that, getting her teeth floated.

I don't know when my friend deworms her, I should know that but I don't. I do know that she uses SafeGuard.

I don't know what/if she's getting any vitamins, but I guess that could be factor. What should I give her that will help?

She is on pasture all the time, and she has hay all the time also.

Thanks for any and all advice. [Huggy]

So this horse isn't yours? Beet pulp, when fed in the right quantities with a good senior feed will put the weight on. The dewormers need to be rotated according to the season. Just using one isn't going to help with the many different varieties of worms. I would strongly suggest getting her teeth floated and that she is put on a proper worming program by your vet. They will be able to tell you what wormers you should be using for each season. Blanketing this mare and keeping forage in front of her 24/7 is going to be a big thing. Also, I'd really try the beet pulp/Senior feed with some oil. I would talk to your vet as well and get your hay tested for any deficiency's Make sure she has access to a salt/mineral block 24/7 as well.

So this horse isn't yours? Beet pulp, when fed in the right quantities with a good senior feed will put the weight on. The dewormers need to be rotated according to the season. Just using one isn't going to help with the many different varieties of worms. I would strongly suggest getting her teeth floated and that she is put on a proper worming program by your vet. They will be able to tell you what wormers you should be using for each season. Blanketing this mare and keeping forage in front of her 24/7 is going to be a big thing. Also, I'd really try the beet pulp/Senior feed with some oil. I would talk to your vet as well and get your hay tested for any deficiency's Make sure she has access to a salt/mineral block 24/7 as well.

Horses that age usually do very poorly on grain and sweet feed, even if their teeth are floated.

If this horse has no underlying metabolic problems like founder or Insulin Resistance, your best bet by far (and also the least expensive) is a grain based pellet that is not over 10% fiber.

Healthy older horses need easily chewed and easily digested carbohydrates in large enough quantities to keep them in good weight.

If they do not have access to any alfalfa, 3 or 4 pounds of alfalfa pellets AM and PM would also help. Many older horses do great on good grass and get poor as a snake in the winter because they are fed grass hay they cannot chew and grain they cannot digest and, in effect, they are being starved for digestable calories.

We have fed many older horses over the years and have raised beautiful healthy foals from 25 year old mares by feeding a good grain based pellet, alfalfa or rabbit pellets and make sure they get extra Vitamin A.

Horses that age usually do very poorly on grain and sweet feed, even if their teeth are floated.

If this horse has no underlying metabolic problems like founder or Insulin Resistance, your best bet by far (and also the least expensive) is a grain based pellet that is not over 10% fiber.

Healthy older horses need easily chewed and easily digested carbohydrates in large enough quantities to keep them in good weight.

If they do not have access to any alfalfa, 3 or 4 pounds of alfalfa pellets AM and PM would also help. Many older horses do great on good grass and get poor as a snake in the winter because they are fed grass hay they cannot chew and grain they cannot digest and, in effect, they are being starved for digestable calories.

We have fed many older horses over the years and have raised beautiful healthy foals from 25 year old mares by feeding a good grain based pellet, alfalfa or rabbit pellets and make sure they get extra Vitamin A.

my pony is 20+ and is hard, hard keeper in winter....tried beet pulp and senior feed this winter, along with cubes and he maintained nicely and was the best he has ever looked coming out of winter. Not ribby, not a butterball either, but he won't have to spend the first month of spring trying to put his hips and topline back in order....

my pony is 20+ and is hard, hard keeper in winter....tried beet pulp and senior feed this winter, along with cubes and he maintained nicely and was the best he has ever looked coming out of winter. Not ribby, not a butterball either, but he won't have to spend the first month of spring trying to put his hips and topline back in order....

I have a 23 yr old standardbred that came out of last winter lookign rough. she didn't have a barn but had a lean-to all the time.

we dewormed her for tape worms in may last year and she put back on everything she had lost right away!

this winter, we dewormed for tape worms in the fall and are about to do it again.

last winter she got hay, beet pulp and purina equilizer.

This winter she was in a really good lean-to that is almost completely closed in and in a stall when it was really miserable out.

she got whole oats and equilizer daily and free choice hay.

the biggest thing for us was we learned the the hay we got last year was terrible hay, it wasn't moldy and was stored inside, but there was no nutrient value to it, this year we spent a bit more and got good quality hay.

you just can't beat that! everyone thrived this year.

I have a 23 yr old standardbred that came out of last winter lookign rough. she didn't have a barn but had a lean-to all the time.

we dewormed her for tape worms in may last year and she put back on everything she had lost right away!

this winter, we dewormed for tape worms in the fall and are about to do it again.

last winter she got hay, beet pulp and purina equilizer.

This winter she was in a really good lean-to that is almost completely closed in and in a stall when it was really miserable out.

she got whole oats and equilizer daily and free choice hay.

the biggest thing for us was we learned the the hay we got last year was terrible hay, it wasn't moldy and was stored inside, but there was no nutrient value to it, this year we spent a bit more and got good quality hay.

you just can't beat that! everyone thrived this year.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice, [Huggy] it is GREATLY appreciated. [smile] I will be going to my friends house tommorrow. I will give your guys' advice to her then. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice, [Huggy] it is GREATLY appreciated. [smile] I will be going to my friends house tommorrow. I will give your guys' advice to her then. Thanks.

MORE hay. MORE beetpulp [big Grin]

Last year my girl didn't winter well at all. She came up to Michigan from Florida, had almost no winter coat, and the BO didn't really feed enough hay. This past year she got fuzzy, and was at a barn where the BO was willing to throw several bales of hay at her each day if that's what it took, and we had to get weight OFF of her this spring.

If teeth are good, more hay and beet pulp would be my starting point. If teeth aren't great soaked hay pellets and beet pulp would be my starting point.

MORE hay. MORE beetpulp [big Grin]

Last year my girl didn't winter well at all. She came up to Michigan from Florida, had almost no winter coat, and the BO didn't really feed enough hay. This past year she got fuzzy, and was at a barn where the BO was willing to throw several bales of hay at her each day if that's what it took, and we had to get weight OFF of her this spring.

If teeth are good, more hay and beet pulp would be my starting point. If teeth aren't great soaked hay pellets and beet pulp would be my starting point.