Sign in to follow this  
kissyk74

Equine COPD

It has been a few years since I have logged on to this site, so I am glad to see that it is thriving, I have a 19 year old 1/2 shetland 1/2 welsh pony that was just diagnosed with COPD, I have tried to do some reading up on it but I am not getting what I really want. SOOO Does anyone have any clue as to some good ways to ease my pony, the vet gave him a steroid shot yesterday and today he seems to be doing better, but the doc says that if he does not respond to the pills that I will have to either adopt him out to someone in Eastern Oregon, or put him down. I have had this pony for 17 years, he is a part of my family, I dont want to adopt him out,and the last thing I want to do is put him down. SO please any help would be great. Yes he is stabled and has a small area that he gets turned loose in, he runs with another pony but she seems to be ok... He has just regular oregon coast hay, with a pelleted complete feed. I am not on the computer much so please dont get affended if I dont respond back right away, I am in need of help and would like as much info as I can get

Thank you so much

Christy

It has been a few years since I have logged on to this site, so I am glad to see that it is thriving, I have a 19 year old 1/2 shetland 1/2 welsh pony that was just diagnosed with COPD, I have tried to do some reading up on it but I am not getting what I really want. SOOO Does anyone have any clue as to some good ways to ease my pony, the vet gave him a steroid shot yesterday and today he seems to be doing better, but the doc says that if he does not respond to the pills that I will have to either adopt him out to someone in Eastern Oregon, or put him down. I have had this pony for 17 years, he is a part of my family, I dont want to adopt him out,and the last thing I want to do is put him down. SO please any help would be great. Yes he is stabled and has a small area that he gets turned loose in, he runs with another pony but she seems to be ok... He has just regular oregon coast hay, with a pelleted complete feed. I am not on the computer much so please dont get affended if I dont respond back right away, I am in need of help and would like as much info as I can get

Thank you so much

Christy

Have pony with similar problems.  Vet prescribed ventipulmin which is expensive and they become reliant on it.

now soaking hay, rubbing Vicks Vaporub in nostrils and spraying eucalyptus oil on wood inside stable.  Also using winergy ventilate feed supplement.  The improvement is astonishing.