Sign in to follow this  
palominopaintlover

fish in water tub?

(giggle) No horses dont eat fish.. LOL that would be wierd indeed..

Most horses dont even realize they have fishies in their tanks..

(giggle) No horses dont eat fish.. LOL that would be wierd indeed..

Most horses dont even realize they have fishies in their tanks..

Oh my..this topic reminds me of a funny incident. I was at a USTRC roping and I was sitting all comfy, relaxed, leg over saddle horn, watching the roping. I was sitting in front of the big stock tank full of water.My horse was drinkin and hanging his head over the tank, half asleep. Get the picture?? [big Grin] Well out of the depths ... dada da da..da da dada..(sound effects..had to add them)of this stock tank comes a "KILLER" gold fish, as big as my horses head, and bumped my horses nose as it hung almost in the water. [Eek!] Well you can imagine what happened... [ROTFL] He was sure that this was Jaws!!!! He did one heck of a "spin"!!! I was glad he spun "into" my crooked leg and not away from it or I would been slung like a frisbee! Those fish definately scared the bejiggers [Eek!] outta that poor guy. Wouldn't drink out of a stock tank for a longgggg time after that one.. [ROTFL]

Just had to share...

Oh my..this topic reminds me of a funny incident. I was at a USTRC roping and I was sitting all comfy, relaxed, leg over saddle horn, watching the roping. I was sitting in front of the big stock tank full of water.My horse was drinkin and hanging his head over the tank, half asleep. Get the picture?? [big Grin] Well out of the depths ... dada da da..da da dada..(sound effects..had to add them)of this stock tank comes a "KILLER" gold fish, as big as my horses head, and bumped my horses nose as it hung almost in the water. [Eek!] Well you can imagine what happened... [ROTFL] He was sure that this was Jaws!!!! He did one heck of a "spin"!!! I was glad he spun "into" my crooked leg and not away from it or I would been slung like a frisbee! Those fish definately scared the bejiggers [Eek!] outta that poor guy. Wouldn't drink out of a stock tank for a longgggg time after that one.. [ROTFL]

Just had to share...

quote:

Originally posted by kitten-kat:

the books may say veggie eaters, well yes they will, but they will also eat other goldies and bugs, and even crickets if they get big enough!!

Just a word of advice, if you have a problem with your stock tank and have to run to town to get a new, don't drop the goldfish into a tank with piranha in it thinking that the gold fish will be OK "just for a few minutes" because the piranha are fairly small and won't be able to hurt the goldfish. You WILL come home to find three very happy goldfish and NO piranha.

[Frown]

Yeah.

All the goldies I have ever had will eat anything. Even piranha.

quote:

Originally posted by kitten-kat:

the books may say veggie eaters, well yes they will, but they will also eat other goldies and bugs, and even crickets if they get big enough!!

Just a word of advice, if you have a problem with your stock tank and have to run to town to get a new, don't drop the goldfish into a tank with piranha in it thinking that the gold fish will be OK "just for a few minutes" because the piranha are fairly small and won't be able to hurt the goldfish. You WILL come home to find three very happy goldfish and NO piranha.

[Frown]

Yeah.

All the goldies I have ever had will eat anything. Even piranha.

This sounds like a great idea!

Paca Paca mentioned that hers actually froze solid in winter?? Is that just a normal goldie from a pet store or was it some other kind?

I'd like a fish that could withstand winter!

Paca Paca mentioned that hers actually froze solid in winter?? Is that just a normal goldie from a pet store or was it some other kind?

i have been told mine could if i let them, but I usually give them away.. my understanding if they have the summer and fall to adapt they do just fine.

i have been told mine could if i let them, but I usually give them away.. my understanding if they have the summer and fall to adapt they do just fine.

I love the goldfish in my tank. The ones I have now have been in the tank maybe 10 years. I started with a dozen small ones from W-Mart. 9 of them died but 3 lived and grew. They will get as big as the tank will allow. So mine are about 8" long. About 3 years ago I lost one when a neighbor's lab jumped in to cool off in the summer heat and killed it accidentally. I still have the last two. The tank is clean enough to see to the bottom - and it's a big tank. I have a cement block in there so small critters that fall in can get out.

I have it under shade trees so it stays cool in the summer. In the winter it's protected from the north winds and it never freezes. I feed them in the winter - not in the summer.

When the horses drink, the fish will grab any feed that might be on the horse's muzzle. My horses don't mind.

My horses also prefer the "fishy" water. If they have to be kept in a stall for any reason, they won't drink water from the hose. I have to carry the "fishy" water to them.

I love the goldfish in my tank. The ones I have now have been in the tank maybe 10 years. I started with a dozen small ones from W-Mart. 9 of them died but 3 lived and grew. They will get as big as the tank will allow. So mine are about 8" long. About 3 years ago I lost one when a neighbor's lab jumped in to cool off in the summer heat and killed it accidentally. I still have the last two. The tank is clean enough to see to the bottom - and it's a big tank. I have a cement block in there so small critters that fall in can get out.

I have it under shade trees so it stays cool in the summer. In the winter it's protected from the north winds and it never freezes. I feed them in the winter - not in the summer.

When the horses drink, the fish will grab any feed that might be on the horse's muzzle. My horses don't mind.

My horses also prefer the "fishy" water. If they have to be kept in a stall for any reason, they won't drink water from the hose. I have to carry the "fishy" water to them.

As I know how messy goldfish are, I was always worried about goldfish poopy tanks. I guess if you don't have too many in there, it works. I may have to try it, though I have a question. Do you refill your tank at a certain level so as not to shock the fish? Like half full or do you just fill it as needed and the fish don't mind?

As I know how messy goldfish are, I was always worried about goldfish poopy tanks. I guess if you don't have too many in there, it works. I may have to try it, though I have a question. Do you refill your tank at a certain level so as not to shock the fish? Like half full or do you just fill it as needed and the fish don't mind?

last year my boys and their friends drank the water down to half an inch 3 times last year, and all 3 times I just filled the tank back as I would normally, stuck the hose in a turned it on.. the fishies seem to love to play int eh current.. goldies are not as fragile as some people think.. they can take the hot and cold waters usually fairly easilly..

Again allowing for growth 1 fish for every 12.5 gallons works great.. and if you let the water over flow a bit, good for horses feet as well, then you will wash most of the bottom (poopies) over the ledge of your tank.. and occasionally tossing the fish into a can or something and rinsing your tank will work wonders.. if you have a big enough tank, and you can allow it to work natually, then the fishies will only add tot he ecology and give you healthy clean waters for your horses..

last year my boys and their friends drank the water down to half an inch 3 times last year, and all 3 times I just filled the tank back as I would normally, stuck the hose in a turned it on.. the fishies seem to love to play int eh current.. goldies are not as fragile as some people think.. they can take the hot and cold waters usually fairly easilly..

Again allowing for growth 1 fish for every 12.5 gallons works great.. and if you let the water over flow a bit, good for horses feet as well, then you will wash most of the bottom (poopies) over the ledge of your tank.. and occasionally tossing the fish into a can or something and rinsing your tank will work wonders.. if you have a big enough tank, and you can allow it to work natually, then the fishies will only add tot he ecology and give you healthy clean waters for your horses..

it settles int he bottom of the tanks, when you run your hose throught he bottom of your tanka s your would to fill it it stirs it ur, then it flows over the egde.. you just fertilized the soil around your water tank.. otherwise it doesnt even bother the horses..and if you have one of those huge huge stock tanks like my friend 600 gallon one, wel it fertilized the plants growing in the water, and he has basically a pond.. works great so the fishie poop feeds the plants, the plants and bugs feed the fishies and the plants provide oxygen to the water, as well as filter the water to make it clean for the horses!

it settles int he bottom of the tanks, when you run your hose throught he bottom of your tanka s your would to fill it it stirs it ur, then it flows over the egde.. you just fertilized the soil around your water tank.. otherwise it doesnt even bother the horses..and if you have one of those huge huge stock tanks like my friend 600 gallon one, wel it fertilized the plants growing in the water, and he has basically a pond.. works great so the fishie poop feeds the plants, the plants and bugs feed the fishies and the plants provide oxygen to the water, as well as filter the water to make it clean for the horses!

quote:

Originally posted by qthorsegal:

I plop the hose in there every few days and let it overflow, so the level never really drops far. It's a big tank, lots of water, and the goldie I have in there is big and tough. I tried some other fish many years ago and the water temp changes really messed them up, now I stick to cheap goldfish.

quote:

Originally posted by qthorsegal:

I plop the hose in there every few days and let it overflow, so the level never really drops far. It's a big tank, lots of water, and the goldie I have in there is big and tough. I tried some other fish many years ago and the water temp changes really messed them up, now I stick to cheap goldfish.

quote:

Originally posted by Jayme:

These are just regular comet feeder goldfish. I started out with six, and over the years a couple died and a couple others disappeared. The remaining two are fat and sassy.

The feeders aren't all that healthy to begin with, so I was surprised that even two of the batch have lived this long.

quote:

These are just regular comet feeder goldfish. I started out with six, and over the years a couple died and a couple others disappeared. The remaining two are fat and sassy.

The feeders aren't all that healthy to begin with, so I was surprised that even two of the batch have lived this long.

quote:

Originally posted by PacaPaca:

quote:

I get the feeders too, I always loose a lot right off the bat the ones that make it tend to be tough as nails. I usually manage to have 2 out of about 8 that tough it out through the first two months and go on to last for years.

Only problem is I am not sure what I am going to do with this one I have this winter... he has outgrown my 10 gallon tank by a long shot.

[ 06-14-2008, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: WarPony ]

quote:

Originally posted by PacaPaca:

quote:

I get the feeders too, I always loose a lot right off the bat the ones that make it tend to be tough as nails. I usually manage to have 2 out of about 8 that tough it out through the first two months and go on to last for years.

Only problem is I am not sure what I am going to do with this one I have this winter... he has outgrown my 10 gallon tank by a long shot.

[ 06-14-2008, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: WarPony ]

I have 3 coi fish that stay in our huge water tank. They keep the algae down and eat anything that falls into the water. We have had them for about 4 years and they do just fine. We let the tank get to a little less than half, and fill it back up. The fish never seem to be bothered by the water change. In the winter, I keep the ice broke and feed them a small pinch of the horses feed every couple of days and they stay fat and happy.

I have 3 coi fish that stay in our huge water tank. They keep the algae down and eat anything that falls into the water. We have had them for about 4 years and they do just fine. We let the tank get to a little less than half, and fill it back up. The fish never seem to be bothered by the water change. In the winter, I keep the ice broke and feed them a small pinch of the horses feed every couple of days and they stay fat and happy.