Sign in to follow this  
palominopaintlover

fish in water tub?

Mine all started as 10-for-a-dollar feeders (that's how long ago I got them!). At one inch, they all look alike. When they start to grow, you discover you have comets, veil-tails, koi, & all combinations- they're all carp. They've started spawning the last 4-5 years, so now I have LOTS of them!!

Mine all started as 10-for-a-dollar feeders (that's how long ago I got them!). At one inch, they all look alike. When they start to grow, you discover you have comets, veil-tails, koi, & all combinations- they're all carp. They've started spawning the last 4-5 years, so now I have LOTS of them!!

yup carp is exactly right.. and guess what carp are trash eaters.. ergo they eat EVERYTHING... I love em.. and I love the changes they make as they grow.. they are fun to watch on thos hot days when you really just want to get back inside..but the tanks needs water so you wait..and watch the fishies..

I honestly havent found a true negative about them!!

yup carp is exactly right.. and guess what carp are trash eaters.. ergo they eat EVERYTHING... I love em.. and I love the changes they make as they grow.. they are fun to watch on thos hot days when you really just want to get back inside..but the tanks needs water so you wait..and watch the fishies..

I honestly havent found a true negative about them!!

Well, I am giving the goldfish a try. The other day I bought 8 of them. I put 5 in my 100 gallon tank, and 3 in my 50 gallon tank.

I suppose I will find out just how good they are.

Hopefully, it works great then I won't have to clean the darned tank weekly!!

Well, I am giving the goldfish a try. The other day I bought 8 of them. I put 5 in my 100 gallon tank, and 3 in my 50 gallon tank.

I suppose I will find out just how good they are.

Hopefully, it works great then I won't have to clean the darned tank weekly!!

Ok, been watching this thread for a while and you all have convinced me. This weekend I am getting goldfish for the water trough.

Ok, been watching this thread for a while and you all have convinced me. This weekend I am getting goldfish for the water trough.

Ok, I am very intrigued by all this but I was wondering if it is too hot in AZ for them? It gets upwards of 113* in the sun. Also. what about their poo....won't it get like the bird poo and collect in the bottom and get all nasty?

Right now, I am changing water every week...I get a lot of green and black algae...will they eat both?

THanks.

azgrulla [smiley Wavey]

Ok, I am very intrigued by all this but I was wondering if it is too hot in AZ for them? It gets upwards of 113* in the sun. Also. what about their poo....won't it get like the bird poo and collect in the bottom and get all nasty?

Right now, I am changing water every week...I get a lot of green and black algae...will they eat both?

THanks.

azgrulla [smiley Wavey]

Azgrulla- I have not really read all the posts but we have them in our tank. Now I dont get quite as hot as you but they do fine. I think we lost quite a few when we first put them in due to shock and clorination as well as a few birds picked a couple off. We just got the feeder fish then set the bag on the tank for a hour or so that way the water temps would be close then dumped them in.

Azgrulla- I have not really read all the posts but we have them in our tank. Now I dont get quite as hot as you but they do fine. I think we lost quite a few when we first put them in due to shock and clorination as well as a few birds picked a couple off. We just got the feeder fish then set the bag on the tank for a hour or so that way the water temps would be close then dumped them in.

Ok, so when you clean the fishy poopoo out by overflowing the water, dont the fishys float out the top like the poopoo?? Sorry, I just think this is so funny! I've always wondered about fishys in water tubs!! Dont the horses eat the fishys or accidently swallow them??

Ok, so when you clean the fishy poopoo out by overflowing the water, dont the fishys float out the top like the poopoo?? Sorry, I just think this is so funny! I've always wondered about fishys in water tubs!! Dont the horses eat the fishys or accidently swallow them??

quote:

Originally posted by mtn_penny:

Do you add stuff to the water for the fish? I have had many freshwater tanks in my time and had to treat the water. Never had goldfish, let alone fish in my stock tank. I have one of those plastic barrels with the top cut off for their waterer. It is 35 gallons. It has an auto filler and a drain spigot.

azgrulla [smiley Wavey]

quote:

Do you add stuff to the water for the fish? I have had many freshwater tanks in my time and had to treat the water. Never had goldfish, let alone fish in my stock tank. I have one of those plastic barrels with the top cut off for their waterer. It is 35 gallons. It has an auto filler and a drain spigot.

azgrulla [smiley Wavey]

quote:

Originally posted by azgrulla:

quote:

azgrulla
[smiley Wavey]
I never added anything but then again goldfish (feeders)are not quite as fragile as most of the fish I would put in the tank in the house for pretty. Again I also lost plenty when I first put them in. Guppies work well too.

quote:

Originally posted by azgrulla:

quote:

azgrulla
[smiley Wavey]
I never added anything but then again goldfish (feeders)are not quite as fragile as most of the fish I would put in the tank in the house for pretty. Again I also lost plenty when I first put them in. Guppies work well too.

quote:

Originally posted by NewfieLover:

My horse finds it amusing to 'dump' in the water trough...how good are the fish at getting rid of that??
[Duh]

Sounds like he needs a bigger trough. but then they just become splashers. That is what our old guy would do in the 350gal rubbermaid. splash about 1/2 the water out especially when it is hot.

quote:

Originally posted by NewfieLover:

My horse finds it amusing to 'dump' in the water trough...how good are the fish at getting rid of that??
[Duh]

Sounds like he needs a bigger trough. but then they just become splashers. That is what our old guy would do in the 350gal rubbermaid. splash about 1/2 the water out especially when it is hot.

Out of the 3 I put in the 50gal tank...1 is alive!

Out of the 5 I put in the 100 gal tank...all are alive...that I could see, they are all orange, I might have counted them twice! -

Out of the 3 I put in the 50gal tank...1 is alive!

Out of the 5 I put in the 100 gal tank...all are alive...that I could see, they are all orange, I might have counted them twice! -

no the fishies wont flow out with the excess water when you flush the poopies over the edge.. get the water really stirred up so that the popopies will go out.. the fishies actually will love playing in the current made by the hose.. but they will not let themselves go over the edge..

as for the water tank tippers.. hmmm perhaps a taller tank?? and maybe attach it to a pole..

I had a mare who played int he water, we had a taller drinking tub, and the smaller play tub, it kept her from drying the fishies out...

as for the birds and small log to float in the water, or a hollow brick helps a lot to creat hiding places.. also slows the horses down from draining the tank on a really hot day!!

I never add anything to the water, not even feed..

they do eat any kind of algea and any kind of bugs, hay, you can even add lettuce or milk weed occationally to the water so the fishies can have a different snack occasionally.. just take them out the next day.. you will see the nibble spots..

Horses dont accidently slurp them up, fishies tend ot avoid the shadows as it might be something to eat them so they usually swim to the bottom or hide under the log.. if a horse id drinking long enough one might steal any hay off the muzzle, but most are mostly chicken fish.. they hide great.. Mine love to hide in the old drain spouts..

no the fishies wont flow out with the excess water when you flush the poopies over the edge.. get the water really stirred up so that the popopies will go out.. the fishies actually will love playing in the current made by the hose.. but they will not let themselves go over the edge..

as for the water tank tippers.. hmmm perhaps a taller tank?? and maybe attach it to a pole..

I had a mare who played int he water, we had a taller drinking tub, and the smaller play tub, it kept her from drying the fishies out...

as for the birds and small log to float in the water, or a hollow brick helps a lot to creat hiding places.. also slows the horses down from draining the tank on a really hot day!!

I never add anything to the water, not even feed..

they do eat any kind of algea and any kind of bugs, hay, you can even add lettuce or milk weed occationally to the water so the fishies can have a different snack occasionally.. just take them out the next day.. you will see the nibble spots..

Horses dont accidently slurp them up, fishies tend ot avoid the shadows as it might be something to eat them so they usually swim to the bottom or hide under the log.. if a horse id drinking long enough one might steal any hay off the muzzle, but most are mostly chicken fish.. they hide great.. Mine love to hide in the old drain spouts..

Wow, I'm gonna get flamed for fish abuse, I can already see it. We have a big Rubbermaid tank, like 350 gallons or something. It sits up on a concrete pad under a big oak tree, and I keep fish in it year round. Mostly fan tails, but 2 or 3 koi, too. Anyway, during the summer, it isn't unheard of for the horses and heifers to drain that tank in half a day if I don't remember to keep the float on. (The critters have a pond, but the tank sits up on a hill and stays cooler) I've come out several times only to find the trough all but dry, water in the low corner only, and the fish gaping their gills and half baked. The first time this happened, I figured they were goners for sure, but once that ice cold well water from the hose hit them, they were just fine. Talk about hardy little buggers! I don't feed them anything, but when the horses go to drink after they eat, the fish come up to catch the feed that washes out.

I can't say that the fish keep the algea down, though. I used to use just a touch of bleach, and that worked, but one day I got a little carried away, and next thing I knew I had floating fish. Try explaining THAT to your son when he's barely 3. After that, no more bleach. I just clean the tank every so often, and dump the fish into a 5 gallon bucket while I'm doing it. Then it's right back in the trough for them. No "adjustment" period- they seem to like the cold water and do just fine. [surrender]

[ 06-19-2008, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: barefootlena ]

Wow, I'm gonna get flamed for fish abuse, I can already see it. We have a big Rubbermaid tank, like 350 gallons or something. It sits up on a concrete pad under a big oak tree, and I keep fish in it year round. Mostly fan tails, but 2 or 3 koi, too. Anyway, during the summer, it isn't unheard of for the horses and heifers to drain that tank in half a day if I don't remember to keep the float on. (The critters have a pond, but the tank sits up on a hill and stays cooler) I've come out several times only to find the trough all but dry, water in the low corner only, and the fish gaping their gills and half baked. The first time this happened, I figured they were goners for sure, but once that ice cold well water from the hose hit them, they were just fine. Talk about hardy little buggers! I don't feed them anything, but when the horses go to drink after they eat, the fish come up to catch the feed that washes out.

I can't say that the fish keep the algea down, though. I used to use just a touch of bleach, and that worked, but one day I got a little carried away, and next thing I knew I had floating fish. Try explaining THAT to your son when he's barely 3. After that, no more bleach. I just clean the tank every so often, and dump the fish into a 5 gallon bucket while I'm doing it. Then it's right back in the trough for them. No "adjustment" period- they seem to like the cold water and do just fine. [surrender]

[ 06-19-2008, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: barefootlena ]